Wheel Fitment & Question Thread

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Poodles said:
wasn't sure how sunken in they'd sit...
Have you ever seen a stock MKIV wheel on a MKIII? This is what I use to base all of my measurements and fitment characteristics.

The MKIV rear is 17x9.5 +50, and sits pretty decently flush on the car.
Picture: 285/40/17 on MKIV wheels http://members.shaw.ca/annoyingrob/Supra Pics/New wheels.JPG
a +42 will make it stick out 8mm more, which will be neglegable in difference. Spacers would not be needed, or recommended (it would make them stick out MORE)

As for clearance, the MKIV wheel sits pretty close to the stock suspension. It's more or less as close as you would want to get. So, that's about 170mm from the centerline to the back of the rim. You can use this to calculate if your new wheels are going to hit your suspension. 180mm would be about the absolute limit. It's going to come down to tire choice at this point. A tire that sticks over the wheel more is going to have fitment issues.

flubyux2 says he runs 8x10 +44 on the rear, and this is just approaching the limits of rubbing on stock fenders. This would be sticking out 12mm more than the MKIV wheel, which is slightly more than the +8 that the 18x9.5 +42 you were talking about.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
yes indeed.

again, im running off-the-shelf volk fitment for the MKIV twin turbo. when these wheels are ordered for an MKIV, they come with 285's in the rear for stock body. if the MKIV owner wishes to use the 295's, it is HIGHLY recommended that the fenders be rolled to avoid rubbing. the tires that came on my wheels did show rubbing against a Rolled fender lip. there werent any cuts, just light scrapes.

on a LOWERED mkiv or mk3, the fenders will almost certainly need to be rolled to avoid cutting the tread during suspension compression. my rear is about 1/2" lower than stock since i have a 17" full size spare, 235/45 and my optima red top in the trunk. my rears Should be rolled since i do scrape once in a while, more often when i have a passenger over 250lbs tho.

ForcedInduction

Dec 26, 2006
Chicopee, MA
What do you guys think of this setup?

17x8.5 w/ +40 offest in the front and 17x10 w/ +45 offset in the rear
245/45 tires in front and 275/40 tires in the rear

Do you think it will fit?

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
BorHor said:
That was a 18x9.5 +12 as stated already. This is just a test so I know what I can fit in the rear. Now something more extreme is coming up ;)

Did you ever get around to the "more extreme" setup? Pics!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I haven't read this whole thread, but I just ordered 17 x 8's for the front and 17 x 9's for the back with 35 offset for both. They are 5 x 114.3. Please tell me these are going to fit.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks Mr. Boris. I hope the ones I ordered look as good on my car as they do on others I've seen. I don't know if my order has went through, because I don't know how big a limit I have on my credit card. I shouldn't have bought them, because of other bills I have, but this is the first set I've seen that were priced reasonably. Wish me luck.