Wheel Fitment & Question Thread

Dimman

Back to the Left.
xxxotiknightz said:
Your offset only effects your width and how deep the wheel sits in the wheel wells. Offset won't effect the diameter. You need to stay as close to stock diameter to keep your speedo calibrated. The only things that effect the over all diameter is wheel diameter and tires. If you get the right sized tires to fit the stock diameter then the only number that should change is the width of the tire. Hope that helps.

I understand that offset and diameter aren't dependent on each other.

What I was getting at is if you keep the stock diameter (choosing appropriate, width, aspect ratio and rim diameter), could we get a table up for what offset is needed for what width to fit, with the assumption that diameter of the tire is constant?

And can we see more aspect ratios quoted in the tire sizes, please?

Does this clarify anything? :confused:

Thanks

Dimman

Back to the Left.
BorHor said:
Not really. I think what you are looking for is about stuffing the most tire in the wheel well. Am I correct?

Eventually, maybe ($$$:( ). But I don't know what will fit, or even what the trade offs are for sidewall thickness, weight, etc...

In the example I quoted, a 285/30R18 on an 18" x 10" rim has a diameter pretty close to stock, but is way wider. So if the offset is the same as the stock wheel it will be roughly 30mm further out towards the fender and 30mm further in towards the suspension bits and inside of the fender, right? And those are what I have to worry about rubbing. But then these clearances change when the suspension travels, too. Different offsets affect where that extra 60mm goes, right? Towards the outside or inside of the wheelwell.

But short of making up some templates and taking off your springs, and testing a bunch of different sizes and offsets through the suspensions travel, is there no way of mathmaticaly coming up with a close baseline? Or are am I stuck to finding out what worked for other cars and copying?

The other issue is though 285/30R18 is a wide tire, it will have a thin sidewall. This will be stiffer and more responsive, right? But I heard stiffer tires can be bad for launching you car. So what is a good medium?

Although fitting the most tire into the wheelwell sounds tempting I understand it's probably not the best thing to do. I just want a better understanding so I can plan my future upgrades with a degree of intelligence (I hope).

I will probably start with the basic 235/45 (or 40) R17 on 17" X 8" ?offset in the front and 255/40R17 on 17" X 9" ?offset in the rear.

Thanks for your patience.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Dimman, I'm picking up what you're putting down. Wheel and tire fitment is almost a game. It really depends on how much work you want to do, what you're going to do with the car and how you want it to look. It also depends on your ride height, suspension travel and alignment as to how much you can tuck.

There is really no way to calculate what size wheel and tire you can fit under there. There are tools you can use to estimate how it's going to fit. Here is a good spreadsheet calculator to compare wheel and tire sizes.

http://members.cox.net/batdog/misc/offset_calculatorSRNH.xls

From that, you can figure out how each setup relates to the other. but now you need to know what will fit the car. You need to look at how much suspension travel you have and what you're alignment and ride height are. Also, if you're willing to do any fender rolling or pulling. A lot of people seem scared of this, but it's not a big deal and is easy to do.

You also have to decide what you want the car to look like. Do you like a little bit of a stretched tire, with a little bit of the tire tucking under the fender and wheels that are flush. If so, you're going to have to fit things differently. If you're running lowering springs on a stock weight car and want to put as much tire under their as possible, you're going to do it differently. If you're building a track car with a stiff suspension and want to put 315s in the back and 295s in the front, then you probably wouldn't be asking these questions.

The best bet is to look at how other people fit wheels. What sizes they're running, how they look and what the rest of their setup is. This will give you the best idea of how things will fit. And then you can go from there.

You could try and measure whatever setup you have now and how much room you have and that will also give you an idea of what you can fit. Use the spreadsheet I posted earlier and mess with the numbers.

So prioritize and decide what is more important to you. Do you want to fit a 285? Do you want flush wheels? Do you want to have more ground clearance than a Hummer? And then after you answer those questions you should have a better idea on how to go about this.

Tim

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Poodles said:
hmm... kinda new to this stuff...

would an 18x9.5 with an offset of 25 fit in the back? doesn't look like it would for the posts I'm seeing...

looking at these if anyone would care to help... (wish I could afford the custom RPO3 typeRC)

http://www.enkei.com/Performance specs/RZ-5.html

Depends on if you want to run a proper sized tire or not. I'm sure some people will say that should fit no problem but I wouldn't. I like having more than a 225 out back. How low is/do you want the rear to be?

Running a 275 tire on a 9.5 rim with a +35 offset os probably the most common rear wheel setup on the site. You want to be 10 mm outside of that with your wheel choice. If you look at Borhor's pics of the Ruff wheels he has you can see how the + 35 fits and can get an idea of how much extra space there is.

Keep in mind that I believe he has rolled his fenders ALOT and his car is probably lower than your will ever be.

Last edited:

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
a +25 on a 9.5 you can do if you have camber or a skinny tire like a 235.. but I don't think you want to run that. +35 is a good offset though.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
my new setup to go on my blue car..

18x8.5 +38 245/40/18
18x10 + 35 295/35/18

pretty sure i'll have to roll the fender, but worried about spring clearance.. on coilovers I know I had plenty of room, but going on a car w/ eibachs.. will be interesting..

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
guess I could run an 18x9.5 with a 42 offset with spacers...

with an 18x8.5 with a 35 offset in the front... hmm..

now just getting tires sizes right...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
only other option is 24... think it might looks funny with more lip in the front than the back...

keep in mind I drive hard and I'm not into modifying the fenders to fit...

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
oh well then +35 is for you then. haha. It might even be too much if you don't roll.. at full lock I think you might pull the lip down on the fender.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
If it were me, I would go 8.5 front with the 35 and 9.5 rear with the 42. You will still end up with more lip in the rear and you can fit any tire you want. This setup is 8mm closer to flush than Mk4 wheels in the rear and the front is decent (4mm in from where mine sit). It just comes down to what you like. The 35,42 setup allows for alot of tire, the 24,25 get the rims very flush but sacrifices the tire size.

Also, I don't see why you think you need spacers for the 42 offset rear...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
wasn't sure how sunken in they'd sit...

can always figure it out, but yeah, I like running a decent sized tire with minimal stretch...

still would like to get the other wheels, but they're custom directly from enkei... have a bad feeling they're not going to be cheap

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
my buddy has a 18x8.5 +35 on eibachs with a 245 tire and pulled his lip out with a slight turn w/ hitting a bump.. did a slight roll and no problems then..