Wheel Fitment & Question Thread

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
I think a 245 is pushing it for a 10" rim. A 255 would be better suited and still be a smaller tire. However, this is just what the manufacturers recommended for tire size.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
You can run smaller than the manufacturer recommends. I've run 235s on a 10 for drifting many times. I've had many friends even running 235 on a 10.5 for drifting as well. So it depends on what it's for and depends on power and what you want out of the car and how you want it to look.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
What do you mean? Like where do we buy our rims? I usually find mine on forums but RBmotoring.com has a nice selection. I know the owner of memoryfab.com but his current stock does not have much low offset rims. You can also buy new rims. Many brands like volk, work, 5zigen, etc have a nice selection of lower offset wheels.

xxxotiknightz

Boomer
May 23, 2006
NORCAL
www.cardomain.com
BorHor said:
What do you mean? Like where do we buy our rims? I usually find mine on forums but RBmotoring.com has a nice selection. I know the owner of memoryfab.com but his current stock does not have much low offset rims. You can also buy new rims. Many brands like volk, work, 5zigen, etc have a nice selection of lower offset wheels.

Yeah, there's no places around here that sell rims for our kinds of cars. In my area it's all big trucks and auto zone ricers. I was just wondering where I can find low offset wheels for a decent price. All the places I've looked have 4 of a kind sets.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Well most times you aren't going to be able to go to your local speedshop and pick out a set of wheels. Some places do stock a good assortment though, but most of the time, wheels will have to be ordered. It just doesn't make good business sense to stock a ton of different wheels in many different sizes.

Best bet is to find what wheels you like and then search for who sells that brand of wheel. Sometimes you can find places having specials or group buys or any of that other type of stuff but if a shop has an account with someone they can order whatever wheels for you.

xxxotiknightz

Boomer
May 23, 2006
NORCAL
www.cardomain.com
Wiisass said:
http://www.theoryinpracticeengineering.com/gallery/d/1981-1/IMG_0532.JPG
18x9.5+12 front, 18x10+18 rear
235/40/18 front and rear
Work XT-7 in the front, XD-9 in the back.

http://www.theoryinpracticeengineering.com/gallery/d/2063-1/IMG_0582.JPG

I thought I had pics with the XT-7's on all around which is how it usually is, but I can't seem to find any and don't want to look anymore. But the 18x10+18 has the same outer fitment as an 18x9.5+12 so they both sit as flush.

Edit: Nevermind, found a side shot with xt-7's all around.
http://www.theoryinpracticeengineering.com/gallery/d/2416-2/IMG_0793.JPG

Do you have a side shot with the XT-7's on it?

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
Geez I dont get any of this. I have 17x8 fronts with 225/50 and 17x9 rears with 235/45 tires. I think they are all 38 offset since thats the only number I see on the wheel right behind the bolt area.

I know it will fit my supra (geez I hope) but I notice some pictures of you guys with +20 something area and then I see an another car with +37 and they look to sit the same........ And they are not using any spacer.

p822977_1.jpg

+36-+38 ishhh

sm_photo_missing.jpg

+20 somthing ishh

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
i have noticed the wheels sit in the fender does change slightly depending on how much the car is lowered. how wide the wheel is also plays into the equation.

there will be a difference between how a 9" +20 and a 9.5" +20 fits.

my fronts are 8" wide and about +40 right now. it was alright on stock TTR suspension on my old black car, but now on my new car with my coilovers set very low they are sunken so far in its not even funny.

with as low as i plan on going with my car (at least 1/2" lower than wiisass's car) 9.5" wide with +12 on all four corners ought to fit the way i want with a 235 tire. if all else fails, spacers to the rescue! :biglaugh:

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
your car is 4x4ing though boris :biglaugh: lower it moar!

also 225 is too narrow, 235 is better for that offset and width id wager. if it was 9.5" and like 0 offset them maby 225 with a tad o camber would do, but i need a lil more rubber than a 225 i think to help give me a little more grip.

kjj512

May 27, 2006
PA
Heres the XT-7's all around (right after we just finished building it so its even dirtier then usual)

DSC00675.JPG

and another one thats a bit further away
v.jpg

XD-9 all around fitment
DSC00726.JPG

n649990792_179441_3415.jpg

Wiisass already posted the specs for all these pictures he was just too lazy to find them.

Dimman

Back to the Left.
What about keeping the close to the original overall diameter? Is this important?

Eg: a 285/30R18 tire on a 18" x 10" rim has an overall dia of 24.7", 11" section (widest point) and a 10.2" tread width.

Compared with a 275/40R17 on a 17" x 9.5" rim that has an overall dia of 25.6", 10.9" section and a 9.8" tread width.

Between the two, wouldn't the 285/30R18 on the 18" x 10" be easier to fit properly (with appropriate offset)?

(specs were from Sumitomo HTRZ 3)

Would it be easier if we knew the offset needed for a given width with the overall diameter being kept as close to original?

xxxotiknightz

Boomer
May 23, 2006
NORCAL
www.cardomain.com
Dimman said:
What about keeping the close to the original overall diameter? Is this important?

Eg: a 285/30R18 tire on a 18" x 10" rim has an overall dia of 24.7", 11" section (widest point) and a 10.2" tread width.

Compared with a 275/40R17 on a 17" x 9.5" rim that has an overall dia of 25.6", 10.9" section and a 9.8" tread width.

Between the two, wouldn't the 285/30R18 on the 18" x 10" be easier to fit properly (with appropriate offset)?

(specs were from Sumitomo HTRZ 3)

Would it be easier if we knew the offset needed for a given width with the overall diameter being kept as close to original?

Your offset only effects your width and how deep the wheel sits in the wheel wells. Offset won't effect the diameter. You need to stay as close to stock diameter to keep your speedo calibrated. The only things that effect the over all diameter is wheel diameter and tires. If you get the right sized tires to fit the stock diameter then the only number that should change is the width of the tire. Hope that helps.

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
Wheels unknown.....
17x8 fronts and 17x9 rear.
Offset unknown either
Tires are 225/45 fronts and 235/50 rear
Car looks a bit high because the wheels are only on side and the stock sawblades are on the other at the time taken. Car hasnt moved in months so its a bit dirty. I brought these wheels knowing nothing about them nor if they fit but DAAMMM I was lucky. They fit nicely with plenty of gap in the back.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
ATTENTION: please stop quoting pictures! when you quote someone who has posted pics, PLEASE remove the IMG tags! it's wasting lots of space! if you're too lazy to remove the IMG tags, then please add a / to the first img tag- like this: [IMG/] pic link goes here [/IMG].

thanks!

i'm going back to delete all the IMG tags that need not be there.