1UZ Supra swap

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
neat cars, some guy around this area had one in a friends shop a few months back.. I dream of a 1UZ TT setup, ah you get to JZ and realize there are far greater things out there. For a lot more money haha, GL and glad to see it running man.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
milisakeracing;1088687 said:
I am hopeful the PS leak is just an o-ring at the top where the fill snout exits the pump. The engine sat for a couple of years in someone else's garage before I acquired it and it wouldn't surprise me if there is a dry rotted o-ring in there, although these pumps are known to leak (and take out the alternator with them).

I should at least have the temp. gauge working tomorrow. The current sender is the original one in the 1UZ which was for a dash lamp, not a gauge. Going to grab the sensor from the 7M which should fix the issue. Hoping to get the exhaust done by mid-August so I can get it out of the garage and on the road finally (which unfortunately means I will miss Chi2k8 this year :cry: ).

Watch for parts lists and wiring details for the pre-89 chassis to start showing up soon!

Bad information on the 1UZ temp. sensor. It was for a gauge after all. It has a slightly different resistance range between 100F to 220F than the Supra sensor not to mention the 1UZ sensor is a 1/8" NPT vs the Supra M16x1.5 sensor.

Pictured below are the stats on the two sensors. I finished the wiring of the 1UZ sensor as well as the e-fan today. Just need to verify the temperature is within a safe operating range once the gauge indicates the system is at operating temps.

I also wrapped up looming all of the remaining loose wires in the engine bay today. Tomorrow I plan on wrapping up the interior wiring, hopefully mounting the 1UZ ECU in the original location of the 7M ECU, and installing the hood. I still need to get a new air filter and box in the frame work around it along with fixing the PS pump leak and getting a battery tie down on the battery. I'll also need to figure out why the ABS is throwing a code now (haven't gone through the diagnostics yet on it). I also have an occasional stumble at idle after warm-up which could be either a vacuum leak or the fuel pump may be going bad (noted a miss in the fuel pump during testing today, will have to monitor the fuel pressure).

Attachments

• TUnits.JPG
    TUnits.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 55

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
This weekend was an eventful one. The engine bay wiring was completed and loomed, the e-fan was tested although the temperature still needs to be independently verified, the Spectre 3" MAF adapter was installed, and the hood was re-attached.

The front interior was also reassembled today. All loose wires in the wiring harness were capped and zipped tied up out of the way, the center surround was reinstalled and the blinkers and radio tested, the ECU and harness were placed in the glove box as a temporary home and the glove box and lower interior piece were reinstalled. The front interior just needs a good vacuuming now to suck up the bits of wire and insulation left over from the installation.

The hatch interior pieces will be reassembled after I run new speaker connections to bypass the stock speaker locations. I plan on running the 6.5" fronts and installing one or two small subwoofers in the rear for low-end filler. However this will be done at a much later date as it does not affect the current project nor would it delay putting the car on the road.

At this point the only thing left to do to put the car on the road is to take it to the exhaust shop to get the exhaust fabbed up. This will most likely happen sometime during the next couple of weeks and I am shooting to have the car on the road by August 17 or 18, although it will really depend on how backlogged the exhaust shop is with work. Once the car is on the road the sorting/on-road testing will be started at which time I plan on driving it as a daily driver on short runs around town and slowly extending those drives out to cross-state trips until I am satisfied the car is ready for longer drives such as to Chicago or St. Louis.

While I wait on the exhaust to be fabricated I will be updating/creating and publishing the project parts list with prices and vendors as well as producing a wiring guide for the '87 Toyota Supra since some wires are slightly different than those found on the '89+ although most differences are just connector differences there are some small gotchas hidden in there. Just a remind that this was not a full conversion as the A/C and heat abilities were not kept. The A/C equipment in the engine bay and on the engine were removed and the heater hoses were looped at the engine. This car is never driven in the winter, although heat may be added at a later date for those cold days which bracket the salt season here in Michigan.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
LilMissMkIII;1095647 said:
:boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies:

Awesome work!

I hope to one day do this!

Thanks Kristel, means a lot coming from an THE Aussie chick! Y'all are lucky you've got shops like CRS down there. No one like that here but the 1UZ is getting cheaper in the States so maybe a shop or two will fill the void. Car looks much more complete now with everything back together after this weekend. Will have to post some more pics.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Congrats on finally getting it all sorted Mike! I actually checked G-Maps to find out where your town is, it's not much further than Chicago... If I did a late night drive I could make it in four hours or less easily :naughty:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Quin;1095827 said:
Congrats on finally getting it all sorted Mike! I actually checked G-Maps to find out where your town is, it's not much further than Chicago... If I did a late night drive I could make it in four hours or less easily :naughty:

6 with breakdowns ;)

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Probably wouldn't take the MkIII... Hell, not much left to break, as long as I don't randomly BHG I should be okay :rofl:

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
Quin;1095903 said:
Probably wouldn't take the MkIII... Hell, not much left to break, as long as I don't randomly BHG I should be okay :rofl:

Heh, I had a similar thought/saying. When I originally purchased the Supra, everything I worked on was loose so the going joke when something occurred or when I went out to work on it was 'what is loose now?' or 'must be something loose'. I feel your pain ;) Can't say that much is left on the car that may be loose but through this swap I've found plenty of items which needed to be tightened or replaced and now have a list of maintenance items which I'll slowly be working through while sorting out this swap on the road.

HatchSex

Ma70
May 5, 2007
Jacksonville, NC
:love: Im jealous. Ive always wanted a 1uz, with ITBs :evil2:, in my 89!!! I have the upmost respect for you, you wanted a 1uz so you put one in, calaborated and sorted through different sources of information, wired it and installed it yourself, and left your blueprints for everyone else to use and drool over. Couldnt have done it any better myself, my hat goes off to you sir and your car. Good luck sorting out all the bugs.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
Supra is headed into the exhaust shop tomorrow to finally get the exhaust fabbed so I can get the car on the road. Unfortunately I'll be out of the state during next week and the shop does not have an estimated completion date. I am hoping when I return I'll be able to go pick it up and drive it home!

This wiring information is from my conversion using a 1987 Supra Turbo (7M-GTE) MkIII and installing a 1992(1993) SC400 1UZ-FE w/R154 transmission and the 1993 ECU. This is a rough draft and some information still needs to be filled in, however it should get anyone started with this type of conversion. HVAC (A/C and heat) were not wired back in at this time.

This conversion will require the 7M-GTE wiring harness engine bay fuse box connector and dash connector. Other connectors may be required as well such as the oil pressure sensor and water temp sensor connectors

I am not an automotive wiring expert. I am not responsible for your mistakes, the mistakes in the information below or the damage, personal or property, that may follow from using this information. Use this information at your own risk.

Attachments

• wiringHowTo.pdf
    52.3 KB · Views: 52

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
Thanks guys. The real measure of success now will be to drive it for a bit and hope things don't fall apart or....break. Have to take it easy for a bit too to bed in the new clutch and let the oil soak into all the bits and pieces of the internals since it sat dry for a few years.

Added about 1/2 litre of MMO to the engine oil to help clean up the internals. After 50-100 miles going to change the oil and filter again after the MMO has had some time to work. The good news is the engine was kept in a heated garage before I acquired it and most of the inlets were capped.

The transmission was refilled with Redline MT90 and the differential will be refilled once I get it back from the shop with Redline 75W90 hypoid (sp?) although some of it will leak out until I get the oil seal replaced. It is starting to fail and leaks a drop here and there. At least it appears to be the oil seal. I need to clean the diff so I can narrow it down to be sure.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
I have good news and I have bad news. The Supra is back from the exhaust shop, sounds amazing and the combination of the R154 and 3.9 rear seem to match the engine pretty well. I won't know until I really get to drive the car for a bit longer. Just driving the car from the shop to home was amazing! The power comes on right away and the exhaust note starts out being very quiet at idle to really opening up at the higher RPM range. The exhaust shop did an excellent job.

Now for the bad news. When I trailered the car to the shop, all lights were working except for the dome lights which have never worked for me. When I left the shop and drove home, my chase vehicle immediately noticed the car had no brake lights. Currently the only lights working on the car are the headlights, backup lights, and blinkers. Nothing else is working. When I check the fusible links in the engine bay, I have 12V where I should but when I check the interior fuses, I do not have 12V at the stoplights or tail lights fuses. Fuses are good, ground at the back of the car is good (checked from the ground point to the negative terminal of the battery). When I go to measure 12V at either fuse to a ground under the dash, no 12V. I won't get out to the garage again to do any further tracing until most likely Wednesday or Thursday. If I understand the TEWD correctly, at least the stoplights are not inhibited by the Integration Relay so even if it were to have gone bad, the stop lights would still work. Any ideas?

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
Fixed the lighting issue! Drove it around town for a few minutes to run a couple of errands, what a blast. Just need to put the interior back together now and put the ECU back in the glove box so it isn't just hanging there in the passenger side. Took everything out while troubleshooting and it ended up being something extremely simple and not even related to the exhaust work.

While re-looming the harness, I had snipped the lug off of the original alternator connection which binds two large black wires. Before I snipped the lug, I had measured 12v there, so I snipped it since I would not be using it so I could fit the wires into the loom and reduce the risk of shorting out on something. Well, come to find out, these two wires need to be bound together for the lights to work.

Watch for videos later this week plus a new weight measurement of the completed swap (won't say completed project since there are numerous other things to be replaced yet such as suspension, drive shaft, etc which could alter the final weight as well). Just recall, with the 7M-GTE in my targa model with a 1/2 tank of fuel, the car weighed in at 3600lbs. Should see a weight savings, just now sure by how much. Looking forward to rolling onto the scales later this week!

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
I finally had some time today to take a short video of the new exhaust. Unfortunately, either due to the garage opening behind the camera or the camera's microphone itself, the tone is much lower than it is in real life but it gives a general idea of how the car sounds now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3mVYYKmwr0

I also took the car to the scales again, the same I used when the project first started. To refresh everyone's memory, with a half a tank of fuel, the Supra with a 7M-GTE mated to the R154 weighed in at 3600 pounds. This is the targa equipped car as well. This time around, again with a half tank of fuel, the Supra with a 1UZ-FE mated to the R154 weighs 3540 pounds.