1UZ Supra swap

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
This weekend I managed to complete removing the old wiring harness from the 1UZ-FE engine. In doing so I also removed the starter since both the upper intake manifold (UIM) and lower intake manifold (LIM) were out of the way. Whoever designed the engine and placed the starter in an area which requires so much disassembly should be fired. In my not so humble opinion, this is an excellent example of a bad design decision and/or compromise.

If I were to leave the starter installed as-is, it would require not only the same components to be removed in the future, but also require the transmission to be removed as well due to the interference of the new transmission adapter and the direction the starter mounting hardware is removed. When I reinstall the starter, I will be using new mounting hardware in order to have the ability to remove the starter without dropping the transmission. I will still need to remove the UIM and LIM but I have no other choice unless I want to push start the car every time I need to use it.

While I had the intakes and starter removed, I took the liberty of vacuuming out the valley in the middle of the block. One would not believe how much dirt, leaves and other miscellaneous bits had collected in this area!. Next weekend I plan on starting to install the replacement wiring harness, although I will have to wait to finish the installation until I have obtain new intake gaskets, starter mounting hardware, and a new starter.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
During Easter Sunday, I was able to take some time and work on the project some more. This time the goal was to finally put together the R154 transmission, F1 Racing Stage 3 clutch kit and various hardware and get it all mounted to the 1UZ-FE engine. Following are the finished shots, albeit there is some blur due to the low light in the garage. Ignore the mess in the background. Also included is a picture of the 1JZ bell housing with a notch machined from the top of it to accommodate the starter gear while it engages the flywheel (I hope I removed enough material…)

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
tlo86;966927 said:
did you make a plate to fit the bellhousing to the 1uz or is it the same as the jz o_O

I purchased the adapter plate from TTC Performance. I apologize if I forgot to list it in an earlier post. The TTC Performance adapter will adapt the 1UZ to fit the R154 or the MKIV Getrag 6spd.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
Engine is all back together now with the new (used/uncut) wiring harness installed. Looks like Lexus may have changed a few items mid-year in '93. I had two connectors which differed. One was the water temp in the front bridge and the second is the oil pressure indicator sensor (which is getting pulled and swapped for the Supra oil pressure sensor which requires a connector change anyway).

I also took some green and blue scrub pads to the engine bay and removed most of the buildup of grime and grease I could reach. Next up is to sand and clean the corroded spots from the previous owner where he let the battery drip acid (guy must have never done a lick of preventive maintenance on this car). As soon as I get the PS line converted and the ABS and rear light connectors wired, I should be ready to drop the engine into the bay and finish up wiring while I wait for some engine mounts. Pictures to follow.

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/1uzsupra/SupraEngineBay

Last edited:

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
I recently ordered the LS400 fan bracket and pulley, EGR block off kit, and exhaust flanges from Lextreme. All parts have arrived. The LS400 fan bracket and pulley will be installed after the timing belt kit has been installed since this piece would have to come off during the timing belt installation. The EGR block off kit installed with only one minor hitch. Additional washers had to be used on the driver's side of the UIM since the studs from the EGR valve mounting plate are not threaded all the way to the plenum. I also ended up snapping one bolt off which will eventually need to be drilled out.

The high pressure power steering line is still at the shop being remanufactured with JIC connectors and new rubber hoses. The hard line may have to be scrapped and a new one created if the shop cannot get 10mm (or was it 8mm?) JIC crimp on connectors since the 3/8" style JIC connectors will not seal properly. I hope to have this line back by May 3, since we intend to drop the engine into the Supra engine bay on Saturday, weather permitting.

Good news, it appears the A/C hose manifold on the Supra A/C compressor can be mounted on the SC400 A/C compressor meaning I may not have to have new A/C lines created, but I will still need to have the system charged and have it sniffed for leaks since it is an old system.

Looking forward to Saturday when we drop the engine into the bay. Watch the project site for pictures of the installation!

Last edited:

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
For those interested, I will be dropping the engine into the engine bay on this Saturday, May 3rd. Anyone is welcome to come by to check it out, ask questions, or just be the peanut gallery and make sarcastic remarks ;) I have bought enough food to feed more than just the two of us that are doing the work which includes brats, burgers, beans, potato salad and chips. Just BYOB and if we run out of food or drink, there is a store right across the street to get more supplies. Should be performing the operation from 1pm until whenever we finish up.

PM for the address/phone if you plan on showing.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
wish I lived close enough to come help and watch. Would be good experience. Good luck and take lots of pics.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
Today was the day we finally dropped the 1UZ-FE engine into its new home, the 1987 Toyota Supra. Having been the first time I have attempted this swap, it took approximately five to six hours to hoist the engine and set it into the engine bay. Some of the complications observed during this time were as follows:

The oil pan's flange on the '93 Lexus SC400 1UZ-FE engine is slightly larger than the distance between the engine mount installation area on the 1987 sub-frame of the Supra. To avoid breaking the O2 sensors or shearing their wire harnesses, they had to be removed and the engine had to be tilted to one side in order to get the flange on one side below the engine mount area before working to get the opposite side below the other engine mount area. It is best if the passenger side is dropped first, then the driver's side, otherwise the brake proportioning valve interferes with the valve cover and the exhaust manifold interferes with the steering column.

All of the harnesses which run along the side of each valve cover/head should be unbolted and set out of the way, otherwise they get pinched and leave little side-to-side maneuvering room. Also, removing the A/C compressor, power steering pump, and alternator free up some more room to shift the engine around within the engine bay.

With the transmission mounted as far forward as possible, there is very little room between the rear of the engine and the firewall. Heater hoses should be interesting to route and connect between the engine and firewall.

The exhaust manifolds from the SC400 will fit in the MkIII Supra engine bay after the removal of the heat shields and weld nuts, which is required to avoid interference with the steering column. The fuel supply and return lines will both need to have some sort of heat shielding on them to avoid vapor locking, heating of the fuel, and possible contact with the exhaust manifold.

Now for the pictures!

http://picasaweb.google.com/1uzsupra/1UZEngineInstallation

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
thats cool. Definately a big chunk to stuff in there. Should be able to proceded pretty quickly from there.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
Further progress. The engine has been centered and leveled within the engine bay. I have taken numerous photos of the engine mount areas as well as a couple of other areas to show various clearances and interferences. I have submitted drawings to my friend to draft up in SolidWorks which we will be submitting to the machinist hopefully next week. I'll be going with solid mounts instead of using the rubber isolators. Because of this, I'll be creating additional 3/8" plates to install inside the sub-frame mount point to sandwich the mount point to provide a bit more strength in that area.

http://picasaweb.google.com/1uzsupra/SupraProject05282008

I also have a bunch of exhaust pieces laying here ready to be cut and welded once the car can be moved to the exhaust shop. Most likely after all the other work is finished I'll just drive it with an open exhaust unless the shop I choose is further away than the locals.

I ordered -6AN fittings, adapters, and SS braided hose from AN Plumbing.com as well which should all arrive next week so I can get my fuel supply and return lines made and connected. Still need to figure out where to route them so they will not touch the exhaust or have the possibility of touching the exhaust.