1UZ Supra swap

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
The 1UZ-Powered Supras site will follow my project build as I swap out the 7M-GTE engine in my 1987 Toyota Supra for a 1993 Lexus SC400 1UZ-FE engine. I will keep a detailed project log on the site for all to view and refer to as well as provide links to various sources such as other enthusiasts’ projects, automotive forums, and vendors. I will also attempt to update this build thread as often as possible.

I am currently looking at a multi-stage build-out:

Stage 1 (Year 1, November 2007 - April 2008)
Get the motor installed with the R154 manual tranny, wired, and running by the spring thaw. This will require engine mount fabrication, bell housing adapter fabricated, new exhaust, hybrid wiring harness, ECU, misc. hoses and cables, electric fan setup with thermostatic switch plus manual switch in parallel for backup, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. If I want to keep it, A/C will also have to be re-plumbed and recharged as well.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
MK3.0dudeman said:
looks like this should be good..good luck and I will be following this build thread

Thanks! Flywheel should be here next week or the week after once machining is finished. Originally should have been here early this week but the original machinist involved wanted more money so the fabricator took it to a different machinist and I get a $50 refund to boot :)

ECU, igniters, and AFM should be here early next week as well. Paying for them tomorrow from a ClubLexus member.

The next parts I am going to try and find are a '93 SC400 wiring harness since mine is chopped, a 1jz-R154 bellhousing so an adapter plate can be created (can't use the 7M-R154 bellhousing) and of course someone to fab the adapter plate afterwards.

Weighed in the car yesterday so everyone will know the weight difference once it is finished. My '87 Toyota Supra, 7M-GTE w/R154 and targa top with a half tank of gas weighs in at 3600lbs on a weight scale calibrated to +/- 10lbs. Only things missing are the second catalytic, the rear interior pieces that cover the strut mounts, speakers, and brake lights, and rear speakers (in the process of replacing since originals were blown). Supposedly the engine is ~45lbs lighter than the 7M-GTE.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
Short update, parked the Supra yesterday after a final wash and detail plus running all over town one last time to have a bit of fun and run the gas tank down naturally ;)

Engine and transmission are now mostly prepped for being pulled. Wiring harness and shifter need to be removed from the interior, heater core hoses detached from firewall, and motor mounts and transmission cross brace removed. All of these will be completed next weekend when the engine/transmission are pulled. Hopefully the gas vapor from releasing the fuel supply and return lines won't be enough to ignite the next time I open the garage door ;)

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
I'll get pics up later tonight of the car it is going in. There are two others in the US that I know have finished and are on the road now (MkIII's, don't know about other generations). One in NY and the other in TN. The one in TN has a youtube vid up of it starting and idling but hasn't added any on-road video yet. Trying to get the NY owner to send some pics/video too.

The TN owner used the stock slushbox with engine and the NY owner went with the R154 swap like what I am doing. Neither has forced induction yet. Stage 2 of my project will be to add forced induction, probably starting out with the small M90 supercharger.

So as far as I know, I will be the third MkIII in the US to have the swap done and only the second to have the swap done with the R154. Of course budget and lead times could kill my schedule, but I hope not. Completed swap counts are coming from Lextreme.com since most of the 1UZ-FE swaps that are in progress happen on that board.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
Here is a youtube video of an MkIII in TN which is finished now but the owner has yet to add more video of it out on the road. He kept the slushbox the motor was coupled with and was the first in the US to complete the swap into an MkIII if I recall correctly.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w7CVDvJ-Vyw

Another owner has completed the swap into an MkIII in NY and kept the R154 tranny instead which is the direction I am headed as well. I have been bugging him for photos and video :)

Budget and vendor lead times allowing, I should be the third MkIII owner to complete the swap in the US, but of course things can change between now and April. Counts are from http://lextreme.com where most people performing the 1UZ-FE swap congregate.

Here is a youtube video of a MkIV powered by a TT 1UZ-FE, love the sound of it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkS6yWzaVfg

Here is how the 1UZ-FE will look in the MkIII engine bay. Picture from http://v8supra.com

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
Jaguar said:
Dean Marcum had a 1uz MKIII here in SoCal back in 2003. :dunno:

Good to know! Like I stated, I took counts from lextreme.com and did not see him state he had finished his swap. He was still asking for belt type/size in 2006 and then kind of dropped off the board after that. Googling only pulled up Lextreme and CelicaSupra as well but no posts stating he completed the swap.

Did he ever get it up and running and did he stay with the A341 or move to the R154 like he eventually planned?

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
milisakeracing said:
Good to know! Like I stated, I took counts from lextreme.com and did not see him state he had finished his swap. He was still asking for belt type/size in 2006 and then kind of dropped off the board after that. Googling only pulled up Lextreme and CelicaSupra as well but no posts stating he completed the swap.

Did he ever get it up and running and did he stay with the A341 or move to the R154 like he eventually planned?

since the pics i recall seeing of it years ago were at a supra meet he drove the car too, id say yueah, its up and running. last i heard he was working on a turbo setup for it, but that was years ago i heard that as well.

John Carnes

Nov 25, 2007
Orange County, CA
The 1UZ has been swapped into the MkIII a long time ago. Bear in mind that just because it hasn't been posted on a forum doesn't mean that it hasn't been done. Dean did it a long time ago and even before that there were people who had done it.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
John Carnes said:
The 1UZ has been swapped into the MkIII a long time ago. Bear in mind that just because it hasn't been posted on a forum doesn't mean that it hasn't been done. ....even before that there were people who had done it.

True, and I am not stating anywhere that I am the first. In fact I am stating I am the third or fourth in the US as far as the evidence I have been able to find thus far goes. I will happily update my position when there is proof showing private owned, daily drivers have been completed. However, as it stands right now, no pictures, no proof.

As for an update to my project:

No progress to note lately. I have a flywheel, adapter plate, 1UZ engine harness, ecu, afm, and igniters all ordered and are pending arrival sometime within the next week or two. Will put up pictures as parts arrive :) Christmas will be eating up some budget so there will be a short delay over the holiday with progress picking up after the New Year. As Cjsupra90 stated in his build thread, it is the little details that catch us.