Wheel Fitment & Question Thread

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
i run 9.5" 18s on rear with 255/35r18 with +38. My quarter panel lip hits the top edge of the tire just past the tread (top part of the sidewalk) on large bumps. I'm personally not a fan of having the lip of the quarter hitting the tread which is why I say +38 to 45 to keep the tire within the quarter. No issues up front so I can't really comment on front because I'm only 8" up there with 235/45r18.

theliub

Apr 28, 2014
Melbourne
Just a question.
I've just bought some 18x10s for the rear and upon fitting them, the inner lip of the rim is just a few mm from the shock body of the tokico shocks.
These wheels were sold as 18x9s and are APPARENTLY +30 but they seem to fit alright which makes me doubt that they're +30. from lip to lip they're 11" so i doubt they're 18x9 as well.

I've fitted up my old 18x10 +22 work equips before (but sold them before i ran them) and they were also awfully close to the shock body.

SO MY QUESTIONS ARE:
-If you run coilovers (with an obviously thicker shock body) how do you guys get away with clearing the shock?

-If the rim is that close to the shock body, will it potentially hit?
^(I'm pretty sure myself that it WON'T as the knuckle will move with the wheel which will move together with the shock, but some confirmation wouldn't hurt!)

cheers

theliub

Apr 28, 2014
Melbourne
slowmedown;2042449 said:
Coilovers should give you more clearance than stock due to the smaller springs. Could run a spacer too

thanks for the response. Yeah I'm just afraid of the shock body mostly. As well as the spring perch.

When I upgraded to coilovers in my old s13, the spring and spring perch were positioned much lower than a stock unit
Low enough to contact the wheel. I was forced to run spacers just to clear the wheel. (I'm very paranoid of spacers failing on me)

Hopefully it all works out

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^did you measure width from were the tire sits on the inside of the lip, that is how they are typically measured, which always is 1/2"-1" smaller than total width...

theliub

Apr 28, 2014
Melbourne
#04;2042460 said:
^did you measure width from were the tire sits on the inside of the lip, that is how they are typically measured, which always is 1/2"-1" smaller than total width...

Nope I just measured from lip to lip: a bit over 11 inches.
but the 235 tyre seems way too stretched to be 9" wide which really makes me doubt that its 9".

I like them though so hopefully in a few months when the car is on the road and coils are in and wheels are powdercoated, I'll post up some pics ^^

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
theliub;2042457 said:
thanks for the response. Yeah I'm just afraid of the shock body mostly. As well as the spring perch.

When I upgraded to coilovers in my old s13, the spring and spring perch were positioned much lower than a stock unit
Low enough to contact the wheel. I was forced to run spacers just to clear the wheel. (I'm very paranoid of spacers failing on me)

Hopefully it all works out

Coil overs for these cars are always small skinnier and lighter. You can gain about 1-2inches of space from just switching from spring/ shock to coil overs.

Also just for kicks. My old coil overs seemed to weigh about 30lbs or so. My bilstein and eibachs felt like 70lbs. Just a guess from picking them up.

theliub

Apr 28, 2014
Melbourne
^

too true about the weight lol.
the silk road section rm-a8's I have in the garage measured just 6mm thicker across the shockbody on the rears in comparison to the tokico illumina's in the car. BUT it should still clear it I think.

The wheels will look good once they're not a tacky colour

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
Anyone run 15x10 Weld Wheels on rear? Didn't see any listed. I know guys running the 15x8's. Don't remember all the backspacing on them. I know there's a 7.5" backspace.

Just curious.

Agallington

Sep 13, 2013
Lacey, WA
Going out to get some new wheels next week. I am looking at the TSW Snetterton wheels 18"x8" in the front and 18"x9.5" in the rear. car has 1" lowering springs on now. They come in offsets of 20 and 40. I think the 40 will sit in to far. What is the opinion on the 40 offsets? Will they work, or will I have to modify fenders?

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
I want to see some pics of guys running 275 rear tires on different offsets. 17x9 or 9.5

I think 20mm offset wont work with a 275. Hard to get reasonable priced rims in a good offset for a mk3.

Should have kept my Work Equips.

Want to run staggered 17x9.5 and 8's. Or something close to that. But 275's in rear.

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
dragracer;2050235 said:
I want to see some pics of guys running 275 rear tires on different offsets. 17x9 or 9.5

I think 20mm offset wont work with a 275. Hard to get reasonable priced rims in a good offset for a mk3.

Should have kept my Work Equips.

Want to run staggered 17x9.5 and 8's. Or something close to that. But 275's in rear.

i think youd like this setup. does require rolling front and rear flat along with pulling the front but they sure look good after that
the tires are slightly stretched as well, but not much at all
i dont really have any good pics of the back right now though
18x9.5 +12 245/45-18
18x10.5 +22 275/35-18

Reactions: drizzoh

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
Sheedy126.....yes, that looks good

I ran 275's on mk4 TT rims with no spacers. No issues. Problem is there seems to be no more TT rims for sale anymore.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal