Project Git 'er done!: Stages 1, 2…now 3.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Man that really sucks on your old head coolant ports... makes me want to go flush my coolant a few times! How does the new head look? And do you plan on getting that one ported/polished before install?

Still very jelly on your beautiful build here, keep it up sir!

-Taylor

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I do plan on porting/polishing the replacement head.
It looked fine, i just figured i'd use my old head since it already had the p&p work done.
Fact is, though, that the replacement head is not stripped out on the ex. studs, and the cams look to be in better shape as well.
Also, i measured the lobes, and it turns out that the intake cam on the replacement head has a slightly higher lift by about .4mm. Dunno why. I had to go out of town for the weekend, but yesterday i received the 7/16 studs and helicoil set, some silicon vac tubing, and the final pair of 680cc injectors that i needed. So regardless, things are still progressing.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Got the head back from the shop today, looks good.
I started the port&polish work, but it'll take another day or two, and then I can install the 7/16 exhaust stud kit, and begin reassembly.
I'll post a few pics up tomorrow.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Ok, I lied.
I don't really want to post pics of a dirty cylinder head, till I have some real progress on it.
I'm pretty much done with polishing up the intake side, and I really only plan on cleaning the exhaust side.
Then, I'll lap the valves in, reinstall the springs an retainers, and leak-check the combustion chambers. If I have any valve
seating problems, I'm going to bring the head back to the shop for a valve job.

ttmuench

Mar 2, 2006
balt, maryland
So what did you think of the reman job done on the advanced auto steering rack? I got one from autozone that out of the box was had peeling paint and leaking fluid (the box was damaged as well). They had spray painted the rubber boots also. Not sure if this is normal. Maybe its just cosmetic. Your pics look pretty good, but I wasn't sure if it was better.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hmm.
I cant say as to how the rack feels yet of course, but i had no leaks, no peeling paint, and no overspray issues.
Hopefully, it'll work properly as well.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Still debating between getting a lifetime warranty on one from AutoZone or somewhere, or getting a new OEM one from Toyota. Toyota's would likely last longer, but only has a 1 year warranty vs. the lifetime warranty other places have. That's how long the car will be in my possession, so I think it would be wise in the long run.

Let us know once it's ready to go!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
LOL.

I think I'm getting too OCD about polishing this stupid head...

2013-02-08_12-10-22_622_zps9b0b37c5.jpg

The ports aren't perfect all the way throughout, but I realize that IF I really wanted perfection, I'd have to polish the intake manifold and runners as well, and frankly, I don't have that kind of motivation.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The head? Not much.
Maybe 3hrs porting/ polishing.
Just spent about 2hrs cleaning the valves, rough-lapping them, then fine-lapping them into the seats.
I'm about to clean the head and begin assembly.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Valves installed.

2013-02-08_15-50-20_116_zps01f69895.jpg

Leak testing the valves, to see if the lapping was adequate.

2013-02-08_17-30-29_933_zpsaa36af35.jpg

Oops. So far, I have to re-lap intake valve #1 on cylinder 4.

2013-02-08_17-33-24_531_zps2f947626.jpg

Yes, it's koolaid.

shut up.
;)

Last edited: