For Speaker Sizes and Questions Click Here

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I can only speak for pre 91 speakers, but those the covers are riveted to the door garnish, which has to come off in one piece. The door comes apart pretty easy though.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You'll likely need to pull the whole panel off. Quite easy though, there are about 6-7 screws along the bottom edge of the door, two bolts in the handle itself, and one screw in the bucket where the door lever is. Takes all of about 10 minutes your first time. :)

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
are 5.25's able to fit in the front speaker pods of an 88 without major modification to the pods? I have Pioneer 5.25's in the rear and didn't have to modify anything. Only has 2 screws holding each speaker in, but the holes lined up perfect.
I know people said 5's fit, but trying to source them locally is a difficult task, 5.25's are more readily available

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I believe when I was tinkering with mine, I test fit the larger speakers (Polk db501? I forget) in the front door pods. Only needed to trim the outside of the screw "ring". You know what I'm talking about, not sure what the technical term is though. Was pretty easy IIRC. :)

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
sweet deal. I might take my 5.25's out of the back and test fit em in the front to see how it fits. I need better sound up front lol. I'll put the 4's in the rear until I can get some bigger speakers, might buy a spare set of rear pods to tinker with trying to fit some 6.5's or something. I need better sounds haha

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Best sounding car I had, was my 88. Had more or less stock size (may have been a minor upgraded brand from the stockers) speakers all around, but I put in 2 6x9 Pioneer 4-way speakers with a 10" sub. Took up about 1/3 of the hatch area, and added around 50lbs overall, but sounded pretty awesome.

Not 100% sure what we're going to do with the 87 when the widebody happens...

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
so the 5.25's had no chance of fitting up front without a crap ton of cutting. I got myself a set of 91-92 6.5" pods, but they're the ones with the tweeters. How do I modify the connectors to make everything work? I read somewhere on here that rewiring the connector on either the speaker side or body side is needed...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Moy;1865361 said:
so the 5.25's had no chance of fitting up front without a crap ton of cutting. I got myself a set of 91-92 6.5" pods, but they're the ones with the tweeters. How do I modify the connectors to make everything work? I read somewhere on here that rewiring the connector on either the speaker side or body side is needed...

Hey some components and remove the stock tweeters.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
okay but that didn't answer my question... I plan on upgrading the stock 6.5"s and tweeters eventually, I just don't have the cash flow right now to knock everything out at once...

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
RazoE;1865537 said:
You mean to plug it in? Shave down the 91/92 connector, and clip the one in your car, it'll eventually slide in..

Tried this on mine when I put them in my 88 and it took forever and I still couldn't get it to fit so I just clipped the plugs off and wired directly to the speaker much easier and cleaner IMO

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
No luck fitting the 5.25" up front huh? I'm thinking different manufactures make speaker frames different sizes. mine went in without much trouble at all. Then again, they could have been 5" speakers, which would explain why yours didn't fit and I'm just confused...

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
haha. well it doesn't much matter, I installed the stock 6.5 pods / speakers and cut & crimp/heat shrinked the wires. Sound about the same as the aftermarket 4's, but with better bass lol.
Now I'm just looking for a better 6.5" speaker that won't kill my wallet lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I got a set of Infinity Reference 6x8's for my old lady's car last Christmas. Probably one of the best sounding speakers I've ever heard in that price range. Got a buy one, get one sale on Crutchfield at the time, I think it was like $200 for all 4 speakers. I'm sure they have a nice 6.5". :)

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
Hertz Energy line or if you are serious about sound the Hertz Hi-Energy line is amazing. I work at Best Buy and we don't sell Hertz but I have heard just about every thing from top of the line Kicker and Polk as well as Infinity and nothing comes close to Hertz.

mstgeer

connor.stephens;1866554 said:
Hertz Energy line or if you are serious about sound the Hertz Hi-Energy line is amazing. I work at Best Buy and we don't sell Hertz but I have heard just about every thing from top of the line Kicker and Polk as well as Infinity and nothing comes close to Hertz.

I agree. I only changed just the tweeters in my otherwise stock Ridgeline and sound quality is amazing with the Hertz.