For Speaker Sizes and Questions Click Here

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Since the most common question on this section is Speaker Size's, I went ahead and took the liberty of making this thread so people can come and see wht size speaker they need for they're Year Mk3... If anyone has questions on the sizes or speakers in general you may also use this thread for it. :icon_bigg

Speakers Sizes on 1988’s and down
( Only 4 speakers on the cars this year)
4” on the doors
4.5" on the rears

Speaker Sizes on some 1989’s and 1990
( Some of these cars came with 6 speakers)
4” on the doors
4.5" on the rears
3.5” side rears

Speakers sizes on 1991’s and 1992
6 ½" on the doors
4.5" on the rears
3.5" side rears

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Umm, the rears are not 5.25, they are 4T, or roughly 4.5".

No one seems to make this size. 5.25 might fit with some tweaking of the box, but they definitely don't fit into the flange recess where the stockers live.

rearspkrruleroy9.jpg

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
3p141592654;1239909 said:
Umm, the rears are not 5.25, they are 4T, or roughly 4.5".

No one seems to make this size. 5.25 might fit with some tweaking of the box, but they definitely don't fit into the flange recess where the stockers live.

Thank you Sir. I'm already tired saying the same thing over and over and over again. This sticky needs to be corrected.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Those are all 4 inch speakers with customizable mount tabs. The cones are smaller than the factory speaker and will leave a gap around the edge of the box. I was able to get a so-called 4T to fit by making an adapter plate to increase the frame size. Plug and play they are not.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
^^^ Good to know. Thanks, as I thought those would be plug and play.

Since they're not plug and play, and required customizing to fit; would it be better to custom mount some 5 1/4" speakers in the factory box for some slightly better sound?

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
RazoE;1241275 said:
damnit, what are the stock speaker part numbers?

might as well get that to replace them with OEM's and call it a day..

you will probably spend way more for OEM speakers and get a shitty $0.25 china crap (if they even have it)

any aftermarket speaker will do better.

you can fit 6.5's in any year but the ported box will have to be removed.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
sweetlikechutny;1241286 said:
you will probably spend way more for OEM speakers and get a shitty $0.25 china crap (if they even have it)

any aftermarket speaker will do better.

you can fit 6.5's in any year but the ported box will have to be removed.

OEM speakers are not china crap. Toyota used football shaped speakers either made by Fujitsu-Ten, Pioneer, or Nakamichi in late 80s to late 90s. The chose of materials, of course, is not progressive due to cost cutting goals consisting of foam and paper, but they will sound much better than most china aftermarket junk you can buy. They do sound good, i doubt many people ever bought and tried OEM speakers, thus, very few can say about their built and sound quality. The OEM crap from china comes in FORD, GM, Chrysler...

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
Pernilongo;1241311 said:
OEM speakers are not china crap. Toyota used football shaped speakers either made by Fujitsu-Ten, Pioneer, or Nakamichi in late 80s to late 90s. The chose of materials, of course, is not progressive due to cost cutting goals consisting of foam and paper, but they will sound much better than most china aftermarket junk you can buy. They do sound good, i doubt many people ever bought and tried OEM speakers, thus, very few can say about their built and sound quality. The OEM crap from china comes in FORD, GM, Chrysler...

infact I have heard them and can say they are crap...for the price of new replacements from toyota I can garantee you I can find you something much better.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
sweetlikechutny;1241977 said:
infact I have heard them and can say they are crap...for the price of new replacements from toyota I can garantee you I can find you something much better.

well, thats not "any" aftermarket speaker for 125$ each.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Sticky fixed, sorry I have not had the time to come back and look over thread.... Been really busy trying to put it everything toghether for my rebuild......

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Pernilongo;1241311 said:

Thing is that if you want any bass from the rear (speakers) what so ever then you are going to have to mess with the pods or make some yourself.... No way around this. If what is desired is better sound quality then yes you will have to go with after market speakers prior to oem speakers. Mainly this is due to the quality of the tweeters being used on the up to date car audio... No speaker 4.5" or 5" will give you a great amount of bass. If you are looking to change your back speakers just so that your car is or stays in mint condition then oem or any drop in will be fine. If you want to improve something then aftermarket is unavoidable.....

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
Pernilongo;1242406 said:
well, thats not "any" aftermarket speaker for 125$ each.

at a 125 bucks I can get much better speakers then OEM replacement

infact my SQ competing soarer will be using cheaper speakers then 125 bucks.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
I have an 89 an still have the stock speakers in but I wanted to replace the door speakers with 6" with tweeters because the guy before me cut out holes in the panel so I might as well fill them with tweeters lol. The stock speaker box is still there and I was going to take it out and mount the 6" to the bottom corner of the door where it looked like more speakers go? The metal has been cut out around there? There is suppose to be a speaker there because the door panel has a grill on it, maybe wrong door panels, but I still don't know why they would cut that metal out... Anyone know where else I could mount the speakers I have?
Thanks

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I would verify that when the window is rolled down it doesn't hit anything in that space. The door space is pretty tightly packed, not much room for more stuff.

*james*;1280334 said:
I have an 89 an still have the stock speakers in but I wanted to replace the door speakers with 6" with tweeters because the guy before me cut out holes in the panel so I might as well fill them with tweeters lol. The stock speaker box is still there and I was going to take it out and mount the 6" to the bottom corner of the door where it looked like more speakers go? The metal has been cut out around there? There is suppose to be a speaker there because the door panel has a grill on it, maybe wrong door panels, but I still don't know why they would cut that metal out... Anyone know where else I could mount the speakers I have?
Thanks

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
3p141592654;1241222 said:
Those are all 4 inch speakers with customizable mount tabs. The cones are smaller than the factory speaker and will leave a gap around the edge of the box. I was able to get a so-called 4T to fit by making an adapter plate to increase the frame size. Plug and play they are not.

Ditto this. I just had to return a pair of Blaupunkts that Crutchfield listed under their "4T" size. It was too small. I'm getting a pair of Pioneers that they specifically indicate in their product info are for the 4T size that fits Toyota. Something tells me that they still won't fit, but we'll see.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
nuggets;1306024 said:
Ditto this. I just had to return a pair of Blaupunkts that Crutchfield listed under their "4T" size. It was too small. I'm getting a pair of Pioneers that they specifically indicate in their product info are for the 4T size that fits Toyota. Something tells me that they still won't fit, but we'll see.

Here's an update. Yup, the new "4T"'s didn't fit either. I put 4T in parenthesis because it seems that Crutchfield is mislabelling these at 4T's. I'm returning those. Note that Crutchfield says that they will fit with an additional $7 baffle, but if you look at the pics below, I don't think they will. Yes, the baffle will fill the gaps between speaker and enclosure, but you are still stuck with only one screw hole that fits. For reference, attached are two pics of measurements that I took from both the rear deck enclosures and the rear front facing mounting plates (89+ I believe).

89suprareardeckspeakers.jpg

rearfrontfacingspeakers.jpg