For Speaker Sizes and Questions Click Here

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
You can always try these

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/db/index.php?s=db501

I got the previous model in same dimension. If you remove the end of the mounting holes, you can use the original screw holes in thebox. The shape is not quite the same as the original rears but the gap is really small, small enough to be able to place some stick on foam on the recess of the factory enclosure before screwing the speaker in

I cant tell you how good they sound because I still had the crappy factory 3.5s in there which drowned the polks out.

Thats my next mission, changing those 3.5s. I notice the factory ones have a capacitor wired in to them to act as a crossover?

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
They arent speakers at all actually

The speaker box in the door has a vent in it, and the grille in the door which would appear to be for a tweeter is actually for this vent aka bass reflex port

Hope this helps

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Has anyone upgraded the 3.5" speakers? What were the results, worth it?

Has anyone upraded all but the 3.5" speakers? What were those results, and were they left connected?

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
livinasask8er;1497887 said:
Has anyone upgraded the 3.5" speakers? What were the results, worth it?

Has anyone upraded all but the 3.5" speakers? What were those results, and were they left connected?

You're question is a very difficult one to answer. The problem is that there are an infinite number of answers. If someone upgraded factory speakers to another pair of crap speakers of a larger size, it might make a little more bass but will still sound like crap.

If you replace the factory speakers with something like Focal Audio's $5000 component speaker system, run them off an incredibly good amp from an excellent head unit and tune the system properly, it will sound fucking awesome.

In general, if you are upgrading from say a 4" factory woofer to a decent aftermarket 5.25" woofer/tweeter (roughly $300 and up) and run them off the factory head unit, it will sound a bt better.

Run the same aftermarket speakers from a decent deck and again, it will be better. Add a good amp and it will be better still.

I'm going to assume by your question that you are fairly new to car audio so how about this... what is your budget and what are your goals? Are you willing to modify the car at all to achieve those goals?

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Anth505;1503098 said:
You're question is a very difficult one to answer. The problem is that there are an infinite number of answers. If someone upgraded factory speakers to another pair of crap speakers of a larger size, it might make a little more bass but will still sound like crap.

If you replace the factory speakers with something like Focal Audio's $5000 component speaker system, run them off an incredibly good amp from an excellent head unit and tune the system properly, it will sound fucking awesome.

In general, if you are upgrading from say a 4" factory woofer to a decent aftermarket 5.25" woofer/tweeter (roughly $300 and up) and run them off the factory head unit, it will sound a bt better.

Run the same aftermarket speakers from a decent deck and again, it will be better. Add a good amp and it will be better still.

I'm going to assume by your question that you are fairly new to car audio so how about this... what is your budget and what are your goals? Are you willing to modify the car at all to achieve those goals?

My bad, I meant replacing the stock speakers with aftermarket ones of the same sizes and not adding any others. You're close though, I've read up a lot on car audio, but I have no experience. Either way, I've already bought a system, but thanks for your response anyway.
Here's what I ordered:
deck: JVC Arsenal KD-A615
bluetooth: JVC KS-BTA200
4": Pioneer TS-G1042R
3.5" Polk Audio db351
5": Polk Audio db501
amp: JVC KS-AX4302
My idea is to stream music from my phone, and to amplify the 4 rear speakers. I Chose a deck that had at least a 2 pairs of preamp outputs incase I add a sub.

And btw EdmondBreaux:
EdmondBreaux;1503070 said:
Does anyone know of anywhere to get the 4.5" speakers? I cant find a place with decent prices.
...I went to chrutchfield.com and picked out what I wanted, but didn't buy it all there, and it's something I'd suggest. I pick somewhere with a wide selection of something, compare and choose, and then I run searches for each specific item to find the lowest price.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
3p141592654;1509079 said:
Are you planning to put the db501's in the back enclosure? If so, have you measured them to see if they will fit?

HKS_TRD did:
HKS_TRD;1378611 said:
You can always try these

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/db/index.php?s=db501

I got the previous model in same dimension. If you remove the end of the mounting holes, you can use the original screw holes in thebox. The shape is not quite the same as the original rears but the gap is really small, small enough to be able to place some stick on foam on the recess of the factory enclosure before screwing the speaker in

I cant tell you how good they sound because I still had the crappy factory 3.5s in there which drowned the polks out.

Thats my next mission, changing those 3.5s. I notice the factory ones have a capacitor wired in to them to act as a crossover?

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
What he said ^^^^

Of course on my car I had the larger 5 inch rear speakers from factory not the 4 inch ones earlier cars have

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Sorry, read that post on fitment but brain malfunctioned.

It is odd that a 5in speaker would still have a gap around the box flange since a 4.5inch has just a small gap too. I downloaded the polk install manual hoping they would have full flange dimensions but they don't.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
For what it's worth guys and gals, I have confirmed today that the Polk db501's WILL fit both front and rear. They fit perfect in the front, with no modifications. For the rear, they fit, but you need to cut the ends of the mounting holes open (not hard, pair of snips works well), and mount. As has been mentioned, there is a very small gap between the edges of the speaker bracket and the pod that holds them, but that's easily remedied. Kinda a pain in the ass to get the rear pods out of the car, takes about half an hour if you're fast and your car cooperates. ;)

Now I'm wishing I had bought two sets of the db501's, as I had picked up a set of db401's for the fronts. They work/fit just fine, but the 501 has a frequency response of 65hz-22khz as opposed to the 401's 85hz-22khz. Not the end of the world though, this will hold me over until I get the KevinM 6.5" door pods.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Werent even any minor mods at all required for them to fit in the front? This is very interesting!

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Not even one sir. The 501's may or may not be the tiniest bit deeper than the 401's, but that wouldn't have stopped them from mounting up just as well as the 401's. :)

As for sound? 10x better than the blown aftermarket of unknown origin/make, and the one pioneer in the other door. Rear speaker replacement, although a pain in the butt, definitely worth it.

I'll be upgrading to some 6.5's once the KevinM 91/92 door pod replicas are ready, and likely some 6x9's custom mounted in the back, complimented by one 10", possibly the JL from my SS. Dynamatted the doors, threw a couple small (2'x3') thick carpets in the hatch (one folded in half between the spare tire and storage 'bin' on the right side, the other under the factory wood floor), and made sure my interior was all back in place (over the cage too, gets a few funny looks). I gotta say, it has really helped quiet the car down a little. Still not as quiet as my 88 hardtop, but I think a lot of the factory sound deadening is missing from my car. I'll fix that this summer with more dynamat I'm sure. Oh, and if anyone is looking to buy dynamat stuff, shop with amazon.com. I got the door kit that normally retails for $100 on Crutchfield for ~$55? ;)

Oh, and for whoever in this thread was wanting the factory speaker numbers, I'm not *positive* that these are it, but these were on the speaker pods, with wattage information, so it may be what you were looking for.
Passenger Side:
Door = 86150-14060
Rear = 86150-14080

Driver Side:
Door = 86150-14031
Rear = 86150-14090

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
This is very interesting, thanks for sharing, I didnt think it woudl fit the opening of the factory 4 inch box let alone the screw holes lining up

I have a pair of soundstream exact 4 inch mids I was going to use in there with some other tweeters, still not sure if the open 6 inch in the pods would actually be better than a 4 inch in the enclosure though.

I need to decide soon and get my stereo stuff worked out

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I was a bit surprised myself, it kinda leads me to question how speakers are measured. Pretty sure the 401 isn't an exact 4", with the 501 being an exact 5" haha... Worst case scenario, pull off one of your door panels, pull out the stock speaker pod, and make a template using the screw hole spacing, circular opening size, and depth of pod versus the screw mounting. The pods are fairly recessed into the door I noticed, as there's a 'cone' of sorts that screws on after you set the speakers in, so I'm sure you could get a pretty deep speaker into that pod, provided it fit inside the circular opening.

If anyone happens to have their door panels off, I'm sure the info could come in handy... I won't be taking mine off for another couple months, or until I get the 6.5" pods at least, otherwise I'd take a few measurements.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
With te72's permission, I thought I'd post our PM's about the Polk db351 3.5" speakers in the mkiii:

te72 said:
Hey man, saw your post in the audio section, about the specifics of your system. I was wondering how well the Polk db351 3.5" speakers worked out for you? I'm replacing my front and rear speakers this weekend, but Crutchfield seems pretty convinced the db351 won't fit where the stock "seat" speakers are in the back seat of our cars...

I'd appreciate it if you had time to reply. If not, not the end of the world. Thanks! :)

livinasask8er said:
I'm not done yet, but I did test fit the 3.5" speaker and it fits in every dimension (I put the trim on without the speaker cover, then put the cover on while making sure there's clearance) with a bit of room to spare. No idea how they sound yet, hope to know in a couple of weeks. BTW, according to crutchfield our cars have a pair of 4" speakers and a pair of 4T's, for all years, along with two tweaters next to the rear ones (they're bass reflex ports), so you might have to take some chances.

te72 said:
Thanks man, I was mostly concerned with the dimension aspect. If I like the Polks I got for the doors (db401's) and rear (db501's), I'll pick up a set of the db351's for the 3.5 there. I tried removing one of those speakers this afternoon before work, by removing the 4 screws that hold it in, and I could NOT get that thing to budge out of the speaker mounting bracket. Got any tips for those, or does it sound like mine's just stuck and needs a little 'persuasion'?

livinasask8er said:
Are you talking about the 3.5" speaker? If you are, then yes it needs force. It's glued in, but the glue is hard, crusty, and old. I don't know how hard it'll be to do with the speaker mount bracket thing still bolted to the car cause I removed the whole assembly first.

te72 said:
Yeah, talking about the 3.5" speakers. I figured it was some sort of adhesive, should be fun. Not like I need the speaker, just the bracket, so it sounds like the assembly might be taking a bath soon...

livinasask8er said:
(...)
Oh, and I wired up the amp yesterday for a test. Remember, I have the 3.5's and the 5's connected together for each channel (left and right) in parallel, which makes 2 ohms and 80 watts rms on each side. My amp puts out 100 rms at either 4 or 2 ohm per channel. I'm very happy with it, and it has a lot more bass than I expected, but I'm gonna turn that back down when I get a sub. The 3.5's sounds great, and seems to handle the same volume as the 5's.

Thanks te72, maybe we'll help someone else since it looks like I'm the first to put these in.