For Speaker Sizes and Questions Click Here

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I have an 87 with front and hatch speakers. Just to clarify, Polk Audio db501's will work in the door and 4T speakers will fit in the hatch with very little to no modification? Does Polk Audio make anything that will fit in the hatch?

diego

Jul 30, 2010
brussels
is it possible to install five inch speakers in the doors for the 88 supra ? i mean i don't mind cutting, but i want my car to look clean...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sorry I didn't see your question sooner Diego. I test fit the set of Polk DB501 that I bought to put in the rear of the car, and they fit just fine. Granted, not all speakers are the same, so it's best to measure the speaker pods before you buy speakers.

Alternatively, KevinM had a group buy on here that was for a really nice replica of the 91-92 6.5" door pods. I have them in my car, and am very happy with the results. :)

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
I removed the rear pods and cut out the factory 5" mounting flange so that there was a square opening. I then used Liquid Nails to glue in a square piece of 3/4" MDF with a 5" cutout for a 5.25" midrange speaker (hole smaller than actual cone diameter). Not a lot of work and the end result is awesome. This also allows you a wide range of cheap component (or coaxial) speakers to choose from. I ordered a $45 set of Blaupunkt components off of Amazon to get the midrange drivers. I also used coaxial 3.5" dB Drive mids in the back seat location and added the cap(acitor) from the factory 3.5" to the woofer. This way I have a (almost) true 3-way system with decent imaging for the highs while still using passive 2-way crossovers.

For the front: Use the 6.5" door pods to add a 2-way 6.5/tweeter component setup. Not much room to install x-overs in the doors, so I ran an extra pair of wires through the door loom and mounted them inside the kick panels. Also, I saw recently that there is an eBay seller that is making 6.5" pods for the panel inserts below the rear 1/4 windows. This is likely a better idea than modding the rear factory enclosures, as my idea will only neatly allow for a 5.25" speaker.

XxRaskmanxX

May 22, 2011
oregon
Hey I have a 86 turbo and I'm looking to put in a Kenwood kdc-x994 deck and I was wondering if anyone could give me a wire diagram either a pic of just give me the wire functions by color

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
XxRaskmanxX;1715185 said:
Hey I have a 86 turbo and I'm looking to put in a Kenwood kdc-x994 deck and I was wondering if anyone could give me a wire diagram either a pic of just give me the wire functions by color

If you buy from the right place (crutchfield for example, costly but it's because they have to pay for their awesome customer service somehow) it should come with an adapter and a wiring diagram so you don't have to cut into the car's harness; you make your own. This is mine (on the right, the connector came with the stereo and plugs into it. on the left, came with my purchase and connects to the car:

p1715192_1.jpg

Edit: Sorry I'm visiting my parents and don't have the diagram around me.

XxRaskmanxX

May 22, 2011
oregon
That's what I was thinking about doin but the owner before me put in a pioneer in and cut up all the wires so I might just take it in and have someone else put a harness in soo I don't mess it up lol but thanks for the answer

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
You'll pay more to have someone clean up the mess made by the previous owner. I would post a "want to buy" ad and get someone to send you the factory stereo wiring connector and wire it in, then go to wal-mart and buy the toyota harness adapter. Thern you can swap radios till the cows come home without having to cut anything. Screw Crutchfield and their inflated prices and incorrect fitment info.

dooms

shadegarage mechanic
Sep 23, 2010
Virginia
XxRaskmanxX;1715185 said:

http://www.modifiedlife.com/1989-toyota-supra-car-radio-wiring-chart/
thats the chart i used to wire my mk3 89.5 supra to a brand new 2011 pioneer head unit. dont forget you'll want constant power to ur memory for ur presets and sound tune

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
Also, no such thing as an 86 Turbo. If your stereo is not getting power, check fuses. If you're not sure how to do that, pay a professional.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
ae86ma70;1723604 said:
Also, no such thing as an 86 Turbo. If your stereo is not getting power, check fuses. If you're not sure how to do that, pay a professional.

There's no 86 Turbo in North America, but there's been a turbo MKIII from day 1 in Japan..

also, if you need an 86.5 stereo harness, PM me, I have one for sale..

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
Had a quick question i'm bout to buy some OEM 6.5" Speaker pods to put in my 88 behind the 88 door panels and i know they will fit but about half the speaker will be covered by the door. For the people who have already done this do your speakers sound muffled? or is sound quality compromised by the door panel?

Connor

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
i think kevinm may have leftover speaker pods, buy it from him for way cheaper. or even buy some ebay universal ones.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
driftsupra;1859115 said:
noh how do uget the rear speakers out of the 87 supra ..the hatch peice i like right in the way and i cant get a screw diver in their

You have to remove the rear panel, and then unbolt the speaker pods and then finally unscrew the speakers out. Set aside atleast 2 hours if youve never done it before.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I have put Eclipse SE8233 3.5" speakers in the forward facing mounts. They have the exact same fitment as above (post 41). I would suggest gluing them in like the factory (I used silicone) to avoid buzzing since the factory brackets are flimsy.

p1859198_1.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN7225.jpg
    DSCN7225.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 18

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Not sure if it's been said or asked, do the front door cards need to be fully removed to replace the front speakers or do the covers pop off thanks