For Speaker Sizes and Questions Click Here

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Doat;1897139 said:
Any tips on doing stuff to the speaker area in the doors while you install new speakers? Like dynamat the area or something
Don't cover anything you might want or need to replace, if you do use a Dynamat style product. ;)

Honestly, if your car is in good shape and still has all the factory sound deadening, you'd be hard pressed to find a need to install anything more, although some people have. MkIII-4-me (think that's his name on here) has a "I can't hear shit" thread that details his exploits, he really took things to 11. CAR AUDIO RELATED JOKE, yessss...

Also, I can also vouch for Infinity (especially the Reference series speakers), they make good speakers. Girlfriend has a set we put in her Mazda3, things sounded so good on the default settings that we really couldn't get much more out of it by tuning.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea I know the term or joke lol I will check it out but my car is pretty damn quiet when I just roll up my windows I can have a conversation without raising my voice at all, I just thought maybe putting some dynamat around the speaker would help stop rattling or vibrations but I guess it's not really necessary.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'll be honest with you, the best sounding system I've ever heard in a Supra, took up some prime real estate in the hatch. Was still grocery-getter friendly, but involved extra boxes for speakers and a small sub.

Now I have just the 4 speakers (two 6.5" in the doors, 5.25" (IIRC) in the rear pods. Frankly, it's passable, but it won't blow anyone's mind, even with decent Polk speakers. Will be doing things a bit better with the widebody, but that's down the road a few months at the very least. My point being, the dynamat helped get rid of some road noise. In that regard, it did its job well. Just try not to overdo it too much, and spend the money on better equipment. ;)

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I have some spare dynamat sitting in my desk drawer, so that is why I am asking if putting dynamat around the speakers help. I just want to replace the speakers with some good ones not looking to go all crazy with the audio system and get an amp and box.

simmi

Banned
Feb 14, 2013
Rajathan
Pernilongo;1241311 said:
OEM speakers are not china crap. Toyota used football shaped speakers either made by Fujitsu-Ten, Pioneer, or Nakamichi in late 80s to late 90s. The chose of materials, of course, is not progressive due to cost cutting goals consisting of foam and paper, but they will sound much better than most china aftermarket junk you can buy. They do sound good, i doubt many people ever bought and tried OEM speakers, thus, very few can say about their built and sound quality. The OEM crap from china comes in FORD, GM, Chrysler...

OEM speakers are china crap dear...I also heard that...

kunfusion

Feb 17, 2008
Indiana
Don't suppose we could get 93-98 speaker info added to this? A Recent acquisition has me debating what speakers I will be replacing.

kunfusion

Feb 17, 2008
Indiana
So far, creeping through SupraForums.... I've been reading the Mk IV use, 2in Tweeter - 4in Door speakers - 6.5in Rear speakers I'll update this with more details if possible.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
HMNGSupraMKIII;1932853 said:
Anyone got pictures of the modifications they did to fit bigger speakers on the front, rear, and the speakers under the hatch pillars in the back?

I'm going to be looking into modification of the front speakers real soon ( to install bigger ones) , stay tuned because most likely a write up is coming.... :)

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Just read this whole thread and would like to replace the stock door speakers in my 87. I don't have the 91-92 door pods but I'd like to get some of the polk db series speakers. Am I stuck with the 401s since I have the pre 91 door pods or will the 501s fit? Thank in advance!

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Went ahead with the 501s as I'd be able to put them in the rears if they didn't fit in the front but they're an exact fit for the door speakers and they sound really good compared to the blown stocks that were in there... :p

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Hi Simmi

With an 87 Accord you can fit 15inch woofers in the doors, all you need to do is use an angle grinder to remove some of the metal and you have to leave your windows permanently up, its a pretty common mod

You can also install an audio system on the hood so you can see what is happening without having to look down

In the headrest you can only fit a 12 inch woofer but it works OK

Hope this helps!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Bogwon;1939833 said:
Just read this whole thread and would like to replace the stock door speakers in my 87. I don't have the 91-92 door pods but I'd like to get some of the polk db series speakers. Am I stuck with the 401s since I have the pre 91 door pods or will the 501s fit? Thank in advance!

Bogwon;1943260 said:
Went ahead with the 501s as I'd be able to put them in the rears if they didn't fit in the front but they're an exact fit for the door speakers and they sound really good compared to the blown stocks that were in there... :p
Sorry I didn't see this post sooner bud, I'm pretty sure those are the speakers that are currently in my car. Actually I'm pretty sure it's the component version of the 501's. And yes, they fit great. Sorry again that I didn't confirm that thought sooner. :)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
BabylonDown;1991813 said:
Would also like to know the modifications involved to fit 5.25 speakers in the front!

It's alot easier to just get the KevinM speaker pods for 6.5" speakers. I have a pair and they are great, and bolt in perfectly. You can even use the factory wiring so no cutting is needed.

BabylonDown

Feb 19, 2014
Toronto
Last edited:

BabylonDown

Feb 19, 2014
Toronto
Silver MK3;1991826 said:
You would use that harness when installing an aftermarket stereo, not speakers.

Ahh I see. So in other words, If I want to run any aftermarket speakers I will have to wire them in.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
BabylonDown;1991827 said:
Ahh I see. So in other words, If I want to run any aftermarket speakers I will have to wire them in.

No you actually wont. You can take the original 4" speaker box, take all the screws out so it comes into two pieces and pull the factory wiring out. That will plug into most aftermarket speakers. One side goes to the factory plug in the door and the other side will go to your speaker. I did this along with another guy on here, let me find his thread on it. He had a few pictures with it as well.

EDIT: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?190943-Diamond-Audio-D364.5-Install