Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Here's my rear speakers:

p1545478_1.jpg

p1545478_2.jpg

p1545478_3.jpg

3p141592654;1509828 said:
Sorry, read that post on fitment but brain malfunctioned.

It is odd that a 5in speaker would still have a gap around the box flange since a 4.5inch has just a small gap too. I downloaded the polk install manual hoping they would have full flange dimensions but they don't.

If you're still wondering, maybe these pics will help:
p1545478_4.jpg

I put clay around it to fill the gap. I got the idea from the previous owner who has replaced the speakers once already.

p1545478_5.jpg

p1545478_6.jpg

p1545478_7.jpg

p1545478_8.jpg

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
you do know clay melts when it's in the sun, right..?

I left a small clay ball in my little coin pocket (if the car isn't TEMS equipped), and it melted to hell, had to scrape it all out...

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
I have the 301s in the rear of mine too, well I have them for the rear seeing as the car is completely in bits, I did test fit them on the brackets and they fit

I just need to decide what I am doing with the fronts, I have a pair of awesme Alpine 5.25 reference components that would be nice to use again, but they are a little small for the stock 91 brackets, I may need to go with a custom setup

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
HKS_TRD;1545635 said:
I have the 301s in the rear of mine too, well I have them for the rear seeing as the car is completely in bits, I did test fit them on the brackets and they fit

I just need to decide what I am doing with the fronts, I have a pair of awesme Alpine 5.25 reference components that would be nice to use again, but they are a little small for the stock 91 brackets, I may need to go with a custom setup

I know someone who would trade you brackets... *points at self* ;)

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
RazoE;1545522 said:
you do know clay melts when it's in the sun, right..?

I left a small clay ball in my little coin pocket (if the car isn't TEMS equipped), and it melted to hell, had to scrape it all out...

Damn, no I didn't. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll see what I can do.

And a bit OT, but what pocket are you talking about, cus I think I have it, but I also have TEMS.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
livinasask8er;1546544 said:
Damn, no I didn't. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll see what I can do.

And a bit OT, but what pocket are you talking about, cus I think I have it, but I also have TEMS.

the one where my little Lightning McQueen rides in..;)

attachment.php

it may not be futile, however..

maybe you can use expander foam, or something similar?

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
RazoE;1546553 said:
the one where my little Lightning McQueen rides in..;)

attachment.php

it may not be futile, however..

maybe you can use expander foam, or something similar?

Wait, that pocket's stock? Cause I've seen that pic before, and thought you added it in or something, that's really cool (and so is your gear knob)!

Yea, I definetly want something that'll stick on its own. Thanks for the help.

Oh, and no, I don't have that pocket.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You can get those coin pockets from Toyota, they're fairly inexpensive if I remember correctly. As for sealing up the gap on those rear pods, I would recommend strips of 3m double sided adhesive strips. they're kinda like a foam that's ~1" wide and sticky on both ends. Or perhaps some Great Stuff (I work at Home Depot, get all sorts of ideas haha), but if you're going with Great Stuff, use the blue kind, as the other types have a tendency to expand, harden, and break stuff. ;)

supranz

May 23, 2010
Christchurch
Hey everybody, I've had the doorcards off my 86.5 a bunch of times and being curious I've taken out the speaker pod to have a gander at what lies beneath. The space thats left looks perfect for a 6x9" speaker (a custom bracket needed obviously), has anyone tried mounting one there?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You know, I can't say I've tried it, but I did have my door panel off recently, and you are correct, there is a pretty massive space there. Obviously the width of a 6x9 would fit, considering that 91/92's had 6.5" speakers there... I'd suggest you get yourself a cheap 6x9 and start fabbing something up. ;)

.TheJones-

Jun 24, 2010
Dayton OH
I would have to agree. OEM speakers in vehicles of this age are junk. Crutchfield offers a matching brand set for front and rear on my 87. the db401's(79.99USD) and 501's(89.99USD) by Polk Audio. I have built many custom stereo's I have used PA in most of my applications for my mids and highs and have always been more than satisfied. Especially when using a 4 channel low power amp. There are plenty of other higher quality speakers that fit but you won't find anything else (from crutchfield) that will be brand matching. I would rather have lower quality speakers that are brand matching than have higher quality different brands between front and rear. Typically this results in better sound quality.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Db501's will fit the front door pods as well, quite easily. I have a set of both the 401's and 501's, wish I would have just gotten 4x of the 501's. ;)

.TheJones-

Jun 24, 2010
Dayton OH
te72;1590397 said:
Db501's will fit the front door pods as well, quite easily. I have a set of both the 401's and 501's, wish I would have just gotten 4x of the 501's. ;)

I was unaware the 501's would fit the fronts as well. Does crutchfields provided bracket make that possible or does it require modification? My plan will be a set of PA components I will put the tweeter in the pillar I think. I think the 2 ways in the rear would be alright but the components up front would almost be a neccessity for me. I hate being so picky with my sound quality!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If by 'modification' you mean taking a pair of snips or probably even scissors to cut out the outer part of the 'ring' where the screws go, then yes, they need a bit of modification. Seriously though, it's a piece of cake to put in the 501's. If you're interested in sound quality though, I'd look into replacing those door pods with the KevinM 6.5" bolt in pods. They're replications of the 91-92 door pods, find the thread in the group buy section! :)

.TheJones-

Jun 24, 2010
Dayton OH
te72;1590834 said:
If by 'modification' you mean taking a pair of snips or probably even scissors to cut out the outer part of the 'ring' where the screws go, then yes, they need a bit of modification. Seriously though, it's a piece of cake to put in the 501's. If you're interested in sound quality though, I'd look into replacing those door pods with the KevinM 6.5" bolt in pods. They're replications of the 91-92 door pods, find the thread in the group buy section! :)

As stated in my introduction this is my first forum. I am astounded at how much information I have gotten in just a few short days. Thank you again for this great idea! Damn I hope I can contribute something useful at one point or another. HAHA

pablo94sc

Dec 16, 2009
TN
I hate bumping old threads, but i was hoping for clarification on which rear speaker locations are which size. Are the rear hatch 3.5" and the ones under the quarter window the 4T, or do I have that reversed? Thanks!

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
3.5"s are on the passenger side shoulder area, the 4T's are the ones in the rear hatch...

Pre 89's did not get the 3.5"s, just the two door speakers and the two hatch speakers..