Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
BUILD PARTS LIST (Build start's after)

Engine & Drivetrain:
-Soarer 1jz-gte
-R154
-ACT HDSS Clutch
-4:30 LSD (Stock)
-Stock bottom end (Rod, Piston, Crank, all untouched)
-Stock cam's, springs, retainers
-Oem headgasket
-ARP Headstuds
-Greddy Timing belt
-Mild Port & Polish head
Turbo & Exhaust
-Holset 8 Blade HX35
-Driftmotion Manifold
-Driftmotion 46mm Wastegate (Tial F46 Replica)
-Driftmotion 3" Downpipe
-Driftmotion RS BOV
-Blitz Intercooler kit (2.75" pipe)
-Full 3 inch exhaust to a 4 inch Vibrant aluminum race muffler
-XS power screamer pipe
Ignition, Fuel, & Electronics
-AEM Series 2 Standalone ECU
-MSD Tach Adapter
-12V Fuel pump mod
-Stock Ignition with NGK Iridium plugs
-Siemans Deka 875cc Injectors w/ Top feed rail
-340LPH In Tank Fuel Pump
-AEM FPR
Exterior, Interior, & Suspension
-HSD Monopro Coilover's
-ESR SR04 18x9.5 +22 / 18x10.5 +22
-235/40 Zestino Gredge Front, 265/35 Zestino Acrova Rear
-Window stickers for +5 hp
-AEM wideband UEGO kit and gauge
-AEM Boost Gauge
-Duel pillar pods

BUILD START (FEBRUARY 3RD 2014)

Well here we go. I'm maybe halfway through this build so far and I think I have enough material to make a decent start to a build thread for you guys. So here it goes.

Firstly some background (You can just scroll past this till the actual build starts if you like). Two years ago i was about to graduate high school and the time had come that i was looking into buying a car. My Dad being a mechanic for over 30 years knew what cars he liked and what he thought was utter trash. At the time (Like many high school kids) I thought I wanted a nissan. I wanted either a 240sx coupe or a 300zx. And my Dad said no. he wasn't about to let a nissan in his driveway that has been home to 9 second camaro's and his NOS power'd Monte Carlo SS. At the time I was pissed. But now I couldn't be happier... So after i got over that i said i wanted a Turbo MK3 Supra. He said sure those are good car's (He never heard about the headgasket issue at the time...) But he told me no turbo. I had little to no experience behind the wheel of a car and he didn't want to put me in a dangerous car... Dads right? :nono: He was probably right.

Fast forward 2 years, I'm 19 years Old, I saved every penny since i bought the car, and after care full consideration i knew i wanted a 1jz. Its that Albert guys fault (I'm sure most of you know who i'm speaking of). Watched too many video's of his 700whp 1jz supra and though to myself "Yep that's what i want". Of course my goals right now are not a 700whp monster... but hey gotta start somewhere right? So after looking for about 2 months i found this:
IMG384.jpg
IMG385.jpg
1537873_10153904049810495_1932677662_o.jpg

It was probably the ugliest 1jz you probably ever seen and allll the coolant lines,hoses looked like a swamp monster took a giant, gluey, moldy, green, dump into it. Not only that but the exterior looked like it had sat in some good ol Japanese acid rain for a few months... It was pitted... Bad... Brace yourself.
1601435_10153904079410495_289203656_n.jpg
1551677_10153904073915495_1166642335_n.jpg
1601526_10153904082580495_1211297306_n.jpg
:3d_frown:
And yeah the spark plug cover's and timing cover's speak for themselves really...
BUT. When I started to open the motor up the insides (Apart from some coolant related things such as the jackets) WAS MINT :naughty: unfortunately the tear down went by in like a night so i don't have a ton of pics but here is what i have.
1484272_10153904073580495_579755689_n.jpg
random egt sen. i think? wut?
1507755_10153904080855495_1169894948_n.jpg
No i didn't get any piston pictures or anything sorry. But literally it looks like any other 1jz piston. Gold top. with a bit of texture to it. I suck at describing things. But i do have some pic's of it coming together so bear with me.
So anyway's after seeing the pistons and the condition of the head I decided why even bother touching the bottom end. SO next thing was buy some nice arp studs, a gasket kit, and some other stuff off driftmotion. Living in Canada though shipping was a bitch to pay saying the least but oh well the prices are too damn good.
IMG391.jpg
Things were going great. The motor was ready to start being put back together and i had a plan. but suddenly everything changed...
My Frankenstein motor, had turned out to be even more so then i had originally thought. The original plan of a auto and stock twin flew out the window when i found out my wiring harness was for a manual. Odd, it came with an auto trans (Not attached) and a auto ecu... But sure enough the motor had a pilot bearing still in it, the motor was rear sump but the ecu is for an auto chaser (chaser being front sump), and the transmission could be out of a Jeep Cherokee for all i knew. So I decided id just find a manual and be happy. And yes really it was easy as that. Untill i had to buy pedals, clutch master, clutch slave, clutch line, ect. BUT OH WELL its worth it for the r154 right?...right...? And the turbo's ill keep more short and simple. Its a bitch to get off so i said "Nah i'm not doing that again". Which in turn led to:
IMG425.jpg
Holset HX35. I got it for free... :biglaugh:
Now fast forward about a month. Motor is still down to the bottom end and everything's been cleaned or painted to look like it came straight out of 1992, and not out of lake in Japan. Which ill continue in the next post.

SOME QUICK THINGS:
MOTOR: Bought from JDM Source In Calgary Alberta. This place is the best. I know I've been bagging on the look of this motor but i'm more than happy with the actual quality of it. Had to have been very low mile and everything internal was FLAWLESS. Price was amazing and Shoaib is one of the nicest and most helpful guys I've ever met. If your looking for a nice motor. Talk to Shoaib. Hes the man.

Last edited:

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
ALRIGHT PART 2: THINGS COME TOGETHER.

So now as i said at the end of the the op, I got everything cleaned up and painted to look brand new. Here's some before and afters. Valve Covers:
Before: 1551677_10153904073915495_1166642335_n.jpg After: IMG402.jpg
And sure enough it was time to put the head on. I wanted to do some crazy porting and head-work but with the knowledge that i was keeping the stock ecu i refrained myself.
IMG456.jpg
My Dad helped a ton especially with the head, those valves are not fun to get at or put in by any means...
IMG453.jpg
Head On, cams in, block painted... The headgasket is oem and head studs are 2jz arp studs. I was getting excited. 2 years of planning and saving every ounce of money i could started to pay off. I learned a lot not only about building a motor, But about myself and learning what i want to do with my life. And that's build bad ass cars and motors. :biglaugh: I love working on this thing. And now i love helping my friends with they're projects too. And once the valve cover's were on and the other covers mocked up, I really saw the fruits of my labor.
IMG454.jpg
IMG455.jpg
IMG459.jpg
IMG461.jpg
Everything I could was sandblasted down, whether that be the mounts, fuel rail, brackets, covers.. if it wasn't blasted then it was painted VHT Wrinkle (Personal choice). And i couldn't be happier. Being 19 years old with next to no automotive experience and just diving into the deep end like this, I kept my expectations low. But i can say i'm absolutely thrilled and beyond excited and ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO DONE. Once i get the holset and the intake on i probably wont sleep till its in the car and i'm tearing up streets thinking about how stupid i was to think i wanted a 240sx... No offence to you 240sx guys :biglaugh: As of right now i'm polishing the intake manifold myself and getting the turbo ready to be cleaned up and maybe even polished if i start feeling ambitious. I also have the last of my parts coming in from driftmotion. As parts come in ill keep you guys updated and take more pictures. I hope you guys like it so far. As a young dude who hasn't gone to school or even has a full time job I have to say I really appreciate the support I've gotten from other supra owners who make all of this so much more rewarding. I hope one day i can become more involved in your community and return the favor by helping some of you out in your swaps. Thanks guys! :icon_bigg

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Ah, of course. It's really snowy where i live right now so i cant get more pics than this but here ya go.
IMG371.jpg
IMG443.jpg
Woops finger in front of the lens...
The car itself has 136,XXXkm I believe it was. I also got mk4 TT wheels for dirt cheap, along with some lowering springs. Its has burgundy interior hahaha. As it sits right now it is a 7m-ge with the auto. It was fun for a while, and i suppose it still is, but I needed the change. Only mods are a custom cat-back. By the end of spring id also like to put a Twin Turbo-R Steering wheel in it, along with a hatch visor, a nice racing seat, pillar pods, and maybe even a roll cage. I'll post more pictures once the snow melts. Thanks, glad you guys like it so far!

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Little update: Cleaned up the HX35 today. Turned out really good after some careful sandblast and a good clean. I plan on painting the comp housing with a header paint and see how that turns out. if not ill throw a turbo blanket on it
IMG462.jpg
Now I need some opinions... Should I try polishing this or should I keep the nice sandblasted look? Looks like it will be a hell of a lot easier than the intake mani...
IMG463.jpg

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
For the turbine housing I would recommend stove blackening. I don't really know what it's called in english, but it's a black powder which you rub on with a damp towel. If you don't have a working protective layer, the turbo blanket will speed up the rusting process.

I would have painted the compressor housing with header paint since it does get hot from doing it's work plus radiation heat. I would choose paint over polish since the maintenance work is higher on a polished part.

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Woops i mixed up. I want to paint the turbine housing but i don't know what to use that will stay for a decent amount of time at that kind of heat level. I've never heard of stove blackening but ill search it up. But yeah i agree paint would be easier than polish but i like shiny bits XD My friend has a buffing wheel so it makes polishing a lot easier for me too. Thanks ill look into it for sure

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Waiting for parts to come in the mail so i thought i would do a little update while i'm waiting. I got some new parts and i took some pics of the trans
IMG465.jpg
IMG464.jpg
I got the R154 off Kijiji. Really nice guy, he also gave me the act 6 puck, some arp hardware, and a driveshaft, to go along with it
1801034_10153904090315495_1667137846_n.jpg
The transmission also came with this fancy GREX shift knob :naughty:
IMG466.jpg
Also got some pedals for the 5 speed swap from another cool guy on Kijiji. As of right now (I hope) the only thing left on the manual swap is the clutch master cyl which i'm hoping to pickup in the next week or so
IMG452.jpg
Lastly I got some AEM Gauges. A boost gauge that reads up to 35 psi and a wideband kit. I think out of this whole build this was the one thing I might have overspent on but i really like the look of these. Plus they match and i dig that. To go along with it I also got a pillar pod used for pretty cheap. Only thing is i'm debating on caging the car so ill have to find a way to tie it in over top of the piping if i do decided to, But ill figure something out. So i'm just waiting on the last of the parts that are in the mail and then ill start putting the motor together and taking the old 7m out. I also plan to rid of the sound deadening so while i'm doing that ill decide on the cage. I also want to keep the back seats so ill have to figure something out...

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
IMG476.jpg

Well well look what we have here...
Updates very soon to come :biglaugh:
(btw this is what 180$ ups standard + 90$ customs fee's looks like :3d_frown: )

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
IMG477.jpg :naughty:

But actually...

IMG478.jpg

Basically the rest of my swap; mani, lines, downpipe, intake, wastegate, waterpump, tensioner, bunch of misc stuff... iirc all that's left is Clutch master and adapters for the hx35 to make it work with this kit. Ill go into further details once its all together

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Starting to get things together again. Process pics;
IMG479.jpg
IMG480.jpg
IMG481.jpg
Lastly i'll order a t4 divided to t3 divided adapter, should have some wicked response. Especially in comparison to most people running the hx35 into single scroll manifolds. Atleast that's the hope... I also ran into problems with the downpipe being too big for the tiny hx35 exhaust (2.5") so ill have to mod the downpipe or by MORE ADAPTERS... :3d_frown: The intake mani is also getting some major buffing wheel throughout the next 2 weeks so im looking at 2 weeks minimum between that and the adapter shipping to Canada before i start getting the rest of the motor together. Then hopfully start the swap by the end of March, and have it ready to terrorize just in time for spring :evil2: