First car, First Build. 1jz-gte 1990 Supra

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
sheedy126;2054976 said:
nice build man! im loving those tail lights. they look much better than the USDM model

you should look into the ECU Masters Emu for a standalone upgrade. its pretty affordable too
http://ecumasterusa.com/shop/ecumaster-emu-1jz-ecu-plug-and-play/

its also plug and play

Awesome i'll definitely look into that, thank you. Also If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the 62mm upgrade for the hx35? I've been looking at the BAE 60mm and have been interested in upgrading for a while now. If you have any video's watch id like to see them as well. I hear the bigger wheels whistle quite a bit louder? :naughty:

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
1990MA70;2055214 said:
Awesome i'll definitely look into that, thank you. Also If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the 62mm upgrade for the hx35? I've been looking at the BAE 60mm and have been interested in upgrading for a while now. If you have any video's watch id like to see them as well. I hear the bigger wheels whistle quite a bit louder? :naughty:

no problem, i had mine rebuilt at Driftmotion.com with the billet 62mm option. it whistles pretty damn loud!
i also ended up going with a gillett turbo 12cm exhaust housing and a 50mm external wastegate
http://www.gillettdiesel.com/12cmnon-wastegatedturbinehousing.aspx

full spool on my 7m is about 4500rpm but pulls super hard after that all the way to redline.

the only video i have is on my friend old iphone awhile back when i was running at 16-17psi. i think in 2013 or 2014. it doesnt really pick up how loud the turbo actually is.

have you had any problems with your turbo smoking at idle? i went through many drain setups and feed restrictions before i was finally able to get it to stop. mainly because the -10 drain was too small and had a run a -12 (3/4") straight to the pan. im also running a 7MGTE though

EDIT:
i found this video also. same engine and 62mm turbo with the stock exhaust housing, just a different shell. 416hp at 16lbs of boost

Last edited:

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Looks like ill be better off with a 60mm if i upgrade. I'm thinking the 1jz wont spool it as nicely as the 7m. Thanks for the info

Never had problems with the turbo smoking oil... In all honesty my oil level hasn't made any noticeable change since i changed it a few months ago, Which is a nice change from my old 7mge that seemed to love eating up all my oil :biglaugh:
I'm using the driftmotion turbo kit just with an hx35, so im using whatever feed/drain line they provided in the kit just with a different fitting for the hx35. Hope that helps!

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Well... I guess I'm overdue for the next chapter in this build. This winter the supra will see the power mod's its been patiently awaiting, and maybe a few more extra's to go along with it. (we'll see how my budget looks in the following months leading up to spring.

But for now i'll leave you guys with a little teaser of whats to come

image4.JPG

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
I looked at going Holset as well. When I was doing my research, the smoking oil issue arises from the oil pressure being to high. I can't remember what you call it, but you need to put something inline with the oil line to the turbo to knock the pressure down a bit. Also, when looking for downpipe options, I found this adapter plate that you could weld onto the turbine housing that had a 3" outline on it (on ebay). I think to make it work properly you would need to weld the downpipe directly to the adapter plate or weld on a short piece with a V-band clamp on it so that you could mount your downpipe. I ended up moving away from the holset option as it seemed like a very customized experience which I don't have the skills for ;) (although I wish I did!). Was really liking the idea of using the HE351CW. It's very similar to HX35 and HY35. Holset make great turbos.

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Quick little idle video. Weather still needs to be a bit better to get motivated enough to have it completely finished

[video=youtube;rE28DqIy4G0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE28DqIy4G0[/video]

The "plug and play" doesn't read factory O2 sensor so ill need to wire in my wideband aem that i bought to watch afr's. Looking into a new fuel system very soon as well then it should be ready to tune. We will see if I have any budget left for anything else closer to spring, kind of want to pick up some coilovers, maybe sell the wheels too if any locals are interested (Which are now painted gun metal with some fatter 275/40r17 and look mean AF)

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
IMG_0020.jpg

Got my fuel system sorted out. Really awesome guy in high river sold me the whole kit, it was a great deal since i didn't have to buy it from the US with the dollar so low.
Kit is a top feed with Siemens Deka "850cc" Injectors
Also got a filter and a AEM FPR
Only thing left is a pump then ill be good to go and crank up the boost. But i think ill get the V2 running good before i go to the new fuel system

Link to Performance Fuel Injection in High River: https://www.facebook.com/PerformanceFuelInjection/?fref=ts

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
I've slowly made some progress on the car getting the fuel system in and working properly with the AEM v2 and tracking down leaks
Here's where im at
IMG_0097.jpg
IMG_0096.jpg
There's some small things id like to do with the engine bay once its running right again to make it a little less messy. Particularly on the intake side and removing any unnecessary plumbing. Then maybe get a new exhaust made before the end of the year. But right now i've got two things that are top priority.
1st: This little plug on top of the rail that wont stop fucking leaking
IMG_0102.jpg
I've tightened it down and that helped a bit. Tightened it a little more today but couldn't test it out since it started pouring rain outside. The threads dont feel great so after this ill have to try maybe a brass plug or take it apart and re tap it unless one of you has a better idea :1zhelp:

My 2nd problem: Tuning
IMG_0093.jpg
Now that i put the bigger injectors in this thing surges at idle like its got a big ass blower and breaks up a bit when holding 2000~ rpm. And i know it ran perfectly fine before so I'm almost positive i just need to play around with everything in the idle tab until i can get a stable idle. I also had a problem with the car stalling when going into neutral or even just from a rev. But after a bit of research I'm hoping i can change some things to get that to go away as well. The breaking up holding a rev though i have no idea. Might have to mess around with the fuel and ignition maps but ill probably get back to that tomorrow. Ignition system was working fine before so i don't see any reason it would be bad now.
Once i get that sorted out i just have to get a hold of the guy i want to tune it and then ill be cherry (knock on wood)

And just for fun here's some quick clips i got last month back before i did the ecu and fuel system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPE39pMqQuk
https://www.instagram.com/p/BH84MUSgjB2/?taken-by=jesse.a70

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
Nice build!
How's the HX35 been working for you in terms of spool and power?
I've been searching information for swapping out my twins for a streetable single with moderate power (400hp should be enough) and the HX35 and SP6262 seem to be a good choice from what I've read and I'd really like to hear your experience with the HX.

Thanks!

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
Looking good! Very nice build and car!

brass plug you will have better luck with if you can find the same thread since because its a tapered fit. would you try JB weld on the fitting? or maybe a bolt/copper washer?

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
thevork;2079643 said:
Nice build!
How's the HX35 been working for you in terms of spool and power?
I've been searching information for swapping out my twins for a streetable single with moderate power (400hp should be enough) and the HX35 and SP6262 seem to be a good choice from what I've read and I'd really like to hear your experience with the HX.

Thanks!

Its been a great turbo. A little heavy but even on stock injectors and ecu it made really nice power. Spool is pretty good for an old turbo too. Comes on super hard at about 4000rpm. I think even 400whp is pretty obtainable on a good tune and maybe (+-)20psi but ill be able to let you know once i get it tuned and dyno'd. Some guys are even making 500whp on e85 pretty easily.

I have an 8 blade hx35 as well so if you can find a 7 blade it will flow more and maybe even spool faster. But either way a great inexpensive turbo

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Tnice17;2079644 said:
Looking good! Very nice build and car!

brass plug you will have better luck with if you can find the same thread since because its a tapered fit. would you try JB weld on the fitting? or maybe a bolt/copper washer?

Thanks!

I gave it about another 1/8th of a turn and its stopped completely (as of right now) But i did grab a brass plug and some different thread sealer just in case i ever have problems with it in the future. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but thanks for the suggestions!

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
1990MA70;2079683 said:
Its been a great turbo. A little heavy but even on stock injectors and ecu it made really nice power. Spool is pretty good for an old turbo too. Comes on super hard at about 4000rpm. I think even 400whp is pretty obtainable on a good tune and maybe (+-)20psi but ill be able to let you know once i get it tuned and dyno'd. Some guys are even making 500whp on e85 pretty easily.

I have an 8 blade hx35 as well so if you can find a 7 blade it will flow more and maybe even spool faster. But either way a great inexpensive turbo

Thanks a bunch! I will be tuning myself but just RON98 using an S-AFC, no standalone.
Are you using the internal wastegate or an external one?

Good luck on tuning and the numbers. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

- Marco.

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
thevork;2079707 said:
Thanks a bunch! I will be tuning myself but just RON98 using an S-AFC, no standalone.
Are you using the internal wastegate or an external one?

Good luck on tuning and the numbers. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

- Marco.

Thanks Marco, I'm using a 46mm f46 tial replica from driftmotion, sounds pretty cool since its a screamer. The stock hx35 wastegate spring was a little too high for my liking so i had the wastegate actuator tack welded so its always closed

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
I've made a little more progress on the supra, i had the car dyno tuned but unfortunately i had some problems. Firstly my boost controller just didnt work, looks like a plumbed the "in" ports opposite, so im going to go take it out and see if it makes more boost in the bext week or so. Next my map sensor is reading erratically in boost, so i bought a MSD GM Style 3 bar. Lastly my AEM FPR apparently has no damper and thus caused erratic fuel pressure with my injectors running batch fire. SO i got a nice aeromotive one that is internally dampened. I also deleted my PCV valve and modified my catch can, overall the engine bay looks a lot nicer now besides the turbo inlet pipe that im going to change. Heres all the pictures and FINALLY some dyno results

Modified Catch Can and Lines:
IMG_0140.jpg
IMG_0143.jpg
IMG_0145.jpg

New Fpr (which had the same size fittings!)
IMG_0144.jpg

And FINALLY. Dyno results (12psi off wastegate spring and with fuel pressure issues)
Boost vs. Fuel Pressure:
IMG_0147.jpg
Dyno Sheet:
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg

Im really happy with the power it made even with the problems. I'm going to be taking it back in for a power tune and maybe convince him to set up the Drag Style Anti Lag :naughty:

The goal is make 400whp on 94 oct pump gas. If it meets that goal i'll start focusing on the exterior part of my build over the winter.

I'll be back for another update after the next dyno session if i can get in before the end of the year. Thanks for all the positive feedback! Its really nice to see that people like the build so far :)