First car, First Build. 1jz-gte 1990 Supra

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
:biglaugh: Also moved in and out of the garage. Just need to wire in the fuel pump more permanently, mount the ecu, some other little things, and put the rest of the car back together. Possibly the most exciting day of my life

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
[video=youtube;AWcfwH6b2ec]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWcfwH6b2ec&feature=youtu.be[/video]
It's alive and stretching out its legs. Got my Dad to drive it and do a couple pulls to get it on video. Seeing 10.5 psi and the only problem was a CEL code 42, which was expected. Tomorrow is the exhaust. Only complaint is the clutch is an absolute bastard but hopefully some seat time will smooth that out. And ohhh man does the thing ever pull :biglaugh: Hopefully it will see some first gear action soon :naughty: I'm beyond happy with this outcome. Its been a long way coming but it far exceeded my expectations.

[video=youtube;MUTpIepEu3w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUTpIepEu3w[/video]
I also got a quick walk around to see the finished engine bay

Enjoy!

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Welp. Something broke off a piece of the fan shroud and sent it through the radiator. Managed to get it home with only one short overheating spike going up a hill, and it seems the only damage was the Rad and the shroud, Fan is fine. Time to get a new rad and electric fans ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pics tonight

On a good note the new exhaust sounds pissed af

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Radiator carnage time!
IMG_1518.JPG
IMG_1517.JPG
IMG_1519.JPG
IMG_1522.JPG
Fan stayed intact (though soaked in coolant), just the shroud and rad got worked. Was a mess to clean up but hopefully i'm picking up a new rad tonight
Could have been worst :biglaugh:

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
New aluminum rad, electric fan, steering rack, and tie rod ends. Went for a rip and the clutch stuck to the floor a couple times. Thinking something with the clutch master is defect. Should have a new one coming in today then hopefully i can get some more videos up with the new exhaust for you guys on the weekend. But here's the final product:
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1560.JPG
IMG_1561.JPG

Thanks for all the awesome feedback. Makes me feel all fuzzy inside :biglaugh:

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
In need of some solid aluminum 1jz engine mounts 89+ if anyone has some or (if someone who's made them) can make some. pm me, need some as soon as possible

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
[video=youtube;3aPJEG2cEKc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aPJEG2cEKc[/video]

Trying to be nice on it till I get a new clutch. Passenger window isn't rolled down (so it could be louder), 10psi. From a little car meet we had yesterday. Car is working great and pulling hard but just wish i could bang through gears and push it a little harder. Getting a boost controller soon as well to try and get a bit more out of it before i have to upgrade fuel and ecu

Got a video of my girlfriends first ride with the go pro as well. Will probably upload that later :biglaugh:

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Ordered a new clutch. Going to try the ACT HD with the street disk. Which should be good for enough power my little hx35 will ever be able to put out. Fingers crossed that this clutch isn't an ass like the 6 puck. Next will be boost controller and some suspension goodies I've had since last year. And if i can sell the old motor maybe ill even get some fuel, ecu upgrades in this thing and start getting really serious :biglaugh:

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Been a while. As a season ender ill give a quick update

Turned up the boost. Wastegate spring was only putting out about 7psi at most
[video=youtube;E4j2Gjuu_x8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4j2Gjuu_x8&list=UUXw6Nz1-59iTdyhUGb4PXHA[/video]

Running in the 12-13 range, never spiked past 13

Having syncro issues 2-3, so this winter will be building the tranny, new driveshaft, and rebuilding the diff. Hopefully make the car ready to handle more power in the future. Might also try the BAE 60mm hx35 upgrade but not 100% sure yet

Also just got some new tail lights, old ones were cracked. Ill upload pics of them tonight, having problems uploading the files. Probably too high res...

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Old:
IMG_3988.JPG
IMG_3989.JPG
IMG_3990.JPG

New:
IMG_4004.JPG
IMG_4005.JPG
IMG_4006.JPG

They are the darker JDM "Kouki" tail lights, And no more cracks :naughty:
Just debating whether or not i should try plasti-dipping the center trim grey to match a bit better

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Nope those are factory jdm lenses, they look a lot darker than they are because of the light but are still significantly darker then the old ones. Not easy to find though! But worth it if you can get a set for a good price

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Haven't done anything. Still daily driving the car with no problems. Looking at getting a plug and play ecu of some sort soon but with the Canadian dollar so low i'll have to pay damn near an extra 25% to buy from the states... So I'm just holding off for now. Hopefully next year ill have an ecu and fuel system ready to go. Maybe look into putting some coilovers and wheels on the car too but not sure unless the dollar goes back up. Still looking for solid engine mounts and a 1pc driveshaft too lol

Might put it on the dyno soon so hopefully ill be back in the near future with some numbers

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
Awesome build and progress pics! You and your dad did some nice work. Great job

Did you hook up the AC or is anything not functional? I was steering away from the jz swap because I wanted all the small things to work but now your changing my mind!

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Didn't keep the A/C but it wouldn't be hard to keep it. Also didn't keep the cruise control. Still have power steering though. The car never came with ABS or Traction Control so i never had to worry about that but it probably wouldn't be much harder. just some extra wiring. IIRC my ecu and harness did have everything needed to run all that stuff and more though