A lot has changed since I've been involved with the Supra community.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I don't think anyone has challenged it. It's just that good of a record. :)
What did you dyno with that setup again, malloynx?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Quite a few of us are still around, we just don't post often anymore. I still check the site occasionally to see how builds are coming along and who the new big players are but for the most part I don't really need help with these cars anymore. It becomes difficult to sit around answering questions that have been asked 100s of times and for quite a while that's basically what the site became... Endless loop of how much boost can I run? How to make 1000HP? I'll give you half of what you want for that if you pay shipping! Check out my eBay 500HP build JK my 300k mile stock short block blew up mk3s are junk lol Uh guys why is there a bird cage light on my dash? Etc etc

You get the idea.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Facebook has largely replaced my involvement on the forums as well, but primarily because it's much easier to participate in the local Supra community there.

I tried and tried to gather up Minnesota Supra owners on the forums here for ages, but with very little luck. I start a Minnesota Supra group on Facebook - and we've got 40+ members (a LOT for a place like MN), and lots of activity. I still refer here for some things, but even the knowledge stored on the forums is starting to get stale.

MKIII Supras are certainly on a "downward spiral" of sorts, and that's to be expected as these cars reach the age they are. Particularly 7M cars - there is basically no such thing as an original un-rebuilt 7M-GTE anymore. They've all been used and abused and reached the point of basically not being worth rebuilding by someone who isn't "in" to Supras. Once these cars make it to "less experienced" owners, a lot of corners are cut, and the cars don't last much longer. Because of the state of most 7Ms, aftermarket parts are now virtually non-existent. JZ parts are still produced and readily available, which keeps the "swapped" cars up and running, but even those can't stay around forever.

Maybe it's time for me to move on to a newer car...

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Back when Ian had a post count that was only 9,999..................................:stickpoke

O ya, Hi! Been a wile since i been on the board, figured ill check out and see who is crying about who/what now.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
:crazy1:Back when I used to keep poopra parts... Now they get filed in the Green box out side the house that gets picked up once a week.. This spring I need to fit more into it. Maybe Ill have to see if a w58 will fit into it.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Some of us have moved on.

I still love the community and thank everyone for everything, but age has started taking its toll. Builds are going to soon turn into restorations, and stock parts will be sought after.

Traffic has slowed down, because as mentioned much earlier, there aren't any new "break-throughs". It's pretty much 7M build, 1J swap or 2J swap.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
emiliorescigno;1995234 said:
What do you have left? I might go collect that green box if you want :D

i dont really remember besides the w58 and drive shaft.

I know I have a Euro rear fog light kit some where in the garage, right side head light assy, suspension turn things (i dont remember what there called LOL), Misc interior switches, I think hatch struts, Low pressure A/C line, A/C condenser, FFIM, 3.71 (i think)LSD rear end (one out of a 91 turbo auto)

Once this snow melts and I can get into the shed Ill let you all know.

Time to start planning summer trips in the Baja

Ya, the good old days. Some old photos for viewing enjoyment

And this is proper photo for supra owners.....

TomatoSupra

I think the problem is that Supra's are right in between "Sweet fast sports cars" and "Cool looking classic cars". So if you're a guy, with a slow one, in good condition. (Me) You want to Mod it and make it faster. And it seems like the guys who did Mod theirs, cant stop looking back at Stock ones.

Its the Supra Paradox.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
TomatoSupra;1995393 said:
I think the problem is that Supra's are right in between "Sweet fast sports cars" and "Cool looking classic cars". So if you're a guy, with a slow one, in good condition. (Me) You want to Mod it and make it faster. And it seems like the guys who did Mod theirs, cant stop looking back at Stock ones.

Its the Supra Paradox.

This is spot on if you ask me.

AW11 (84-89) MR2s went through the transition from "sports car" to "classic car" over the last few years. With the exception of some autocross machines, they're now almost universally accepted as what they were from the factory, and appreciated for how they drive, feel, and handle in stock form.

The problem with the MKIII Supra (I'm sorry to say...), is that in bone stock form, they're not actually that great to drive. People modify them because of their shortcomings, but as new cars get more advanced, it's harder and harder to modify a Supra to a competitive level with new cars. That's why the owners of so many modified cars yearn for a stock one - they've sacrificed a lot of niceness/comfort/reliability, and still can't keep up with the Jones' Evo.

TomatoSupra

emiliorescigno;1995395 said:
The problem with the MKIII Supra (I'm sorry to say...), is that in bone stock form, they're not actually that great to drive. People modify them because of their shortcomings, but as new cars get more advanced, it's harder and harder to modify a Supra to a competitive level with new cars. That's why the owners of so many modified cars yearn for a stock one - they've sacrificed a lot of niceness/comfort/reliability, and still can't keep up with the Jones' Evo.

I agree. I hope we see the transition from "Crazy sports car because the supra name was in the fast and furious" to beautiful, fun to drive classic cruising car. In which some that can do 10 sec 1/4 miles lol.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
I agree with that. Pretty much every modification involved (including the dash) can be undone and put back to stock. When I got my car, someone had ripped out the a/c, there was no exhaust, and there was no fan (just the clutch). I take comfort in the fact that if I sell the car, someone can easily change things to suit their wants or needs. That might be the wrong way to look at it, since I should build the car for myself, but I dunno.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Gmelo30

Aug 7, 2012
Wappingers Falls, NY
Reading this thread has made me realize how busy this forum used to be. I don't post much on here, just mostly look around, the reason for that is because lot of the questions I have were already answered. I also have an issue finding fellow mk3 owners near me, I have talked to a couple on here and hope to meet up with them once the summer comes around.
Seeing all this makes me wish I could have been on here much sooner, because now is when I'm fixing up my mk3 and finding cool/rare parts is very difficult. I remember when I first got my supra it had a spun bearing, then my dad and I replaced it with another 7m. I felt so excited to have this car (coming from a mostly DSM past personally). I hope that this forum stays around and continues to provide me with valuable information.
I will also agree with the age difference problem, I'm 23 and I enjoy this car as does my girlfriend, she also sees how much I enjoy working on it and driving it. The other funny thing is that when I drive my car around and younger people ask me what kind of car is that? The priceless look they give when I say it's a Supra. I have to say its also cool when the older car crowd come up and say "Keep that supra clean man, it's hard to find them in that good of a shape." So that also makes me want to keep my car and make it mine.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
All the "ghetto" Supras are dying slowly but surely. I find it interesting that there were far less Supras built each year than Corvettes. I know that a Supra MK3 sold in my area for 28,000 (slightly less) just recently. Also, there are die-hard MK3 nuts like me that value these cars greatly. So, people discount them at their peril.

3 years ago, I could pick up 4 Supras for under 10,000.00 (total). Today? Very difficult. (of course... the US has more than Canada)

Hoping that Supramania remains as the defacto stop for tech advice/Supra lovin'.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
92nsx;1995385 said:

I have the uglier twin of your car!

minisnv15211.jpg

And I as soon as I get a set of toe arms in the mail, I will be putting these wheels on. I have been restoring them.

mini-DSC_0141.jpg

They are 18x9 + 42, I am very curious do you remember the size and offset of your wheels? Im not sure how mine are going to fit yet. Your car is very nice, that is probably my favorite color on the MKIII.
Mine isn't very clean but it's 1J swapped with a decent single, goes like stink and sounds like heaven.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
They will clear the inside NP and will sit pretty close to flush front and rear I think. Might be a little past flush actually. May have to roll your quarters. I have a set of 18x9.5 +38 and they are damn close.