A lot has changed since I've been involved with the Supra community.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I have 275/35s and it is definitely flush but I think my quarter panel wants to eat my tire. I haven't lowered it yet because I still have work to do under the car but I suspect I'm going to have to roll when I do. I have coilovers but I don't want to set the rears stiff lol

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
I have 285/35s rear and 265/40s (wanted 35 but got a deal on them) up front on the new wheel setup going on.

I have had 295 on a 18x9.5+22 in the rear and it completely destroyed my tire when I hit some random terrible construction one day, that's what made me roll the fender soon after. (Posted a picture of that setup in the wheel offset/fitment sticky thread so you can see how far it stuck out)
I would definitely suggest a good roll, it's not too difficult. It's not worth it if that sharp inner fender lip catches the tire on some crazy road. You should have around .75"ish more clearance than I did on that setup, but I bet you will still hit the inner lip.

Thanks for posting guys.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
***<== Brushes dust off this old account.

I can tell you why...

It is age but more importantly. as time goes by, the money to keep these cars running, rebuilt etc is getting higher and higher.

Hell I did the math... I could have been rolling around in a Lambo Gallardo for the amount of cash I sunk into the car. Or a house of significant size in a warmer climate.

In the end, the math really does not add up and with the technology of DCT 7-speed trannies (essentially sequential transmissions) and direct injection. cars are getting lots of power and have lots of room. the price is dumb but compared to what was sunk by myself in just gold components.. geez. lol

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Cost is definitely a Factor... I have asked myself... "when do you throw in the towel and just buy a C7 vette?".

The one thing that drives me though.. is the car itself. To me it isn't about the power, it isn't about resale. Its about fulfilling one dream I had to sacrifice as a single parent waaaaaay back...
Its my reward.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Grandavi;1997780 said:
Cost is definitely a Factor... I have asked myself... "when do you throw in the towel and just buy a C7 vette?".

The one thing that drives me though.. is the car itself. To me it isn't about the power, it isn't about resale. Its about fulfilling one dream I had to sacrifice as a single parent waaaaaay back...
Its my reward.

I thought about it like that since it was my car since 1996, but when you take the emotion out. It really just does not add up. my stock 07 CTS riding on 150k miles. Paid off. Not one dime of hopups into it. lol

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
This can be said about most cars. You will never get the money that you put in back out of the car. It's more about having a hobby or passion, where the cost/price doesn't matter as much.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My car is paid off as well (I prepped cashwise for it), and I have bought/sold Supras and car parts along the way to help fund the addiction. However, in the end, I pay 8.00 per month for full insurance on it.. I drive it on nice days and enjoy the hell out of it as I can.

Its kinda like a motorhome in that sense. You can buy one for about 85k - 185k... and use it for 2 weeks - 2 months a year.. and It sits... In the end, depreciation creeps up and takes the money away anyway... so.. vehicles are generally speaking not an investment.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Grandavi;1997811 said:
My car is paid off as well (I prepped cashwise for it), and I have bought/sold Supras and car parts along the way to help fund the addiction. However, in the end, I pay 8.00 per month for full insurance on it.. I drive it on nice days and enjoy the hell out of it as I can.

Its kinda like a motorhome in that sense. You can buy one for about 85k - 185k... and use it for 2 weeks - 2 months a year.. and It sits... In the end, depreciation creeps up and takes the money away anyway... so.. vehicles are generally speaking not an investment.

forget that... the maintenance alone on these cars.

with that said and for chuckles.

The Newer BMW m6 twin turbos. Apparently they run on oil ;) lol... .5 qt every 700-800miles which is absurd but BMW says that is within parameters. I think they (BMW or Honeywell) forgot to put oil seals on the turbo ;) (*** I DO NOT OWN A BMW M6!***)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Maintenance isn't bad now. Once my new turbo is on, I will just do a yearly oil change and have my guys go over the car.. it will be fine. Mine isn't a track car mind you.. just a weekend warrior driver with a lot of good old fashion power... :)

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
emiliorescigno;1995214 said:
MKIII Supras are certainly on a "downward spiral" of sorts, and that's to be expected as these cars reach the age they are. Particularly 7M cars - there is basically no such thing as an original un-rebuilt 7M-GTE anymore. They've all been used and abused and reached the point of basically not being worth rebuilding by someone who isn't "in" to Supras. Once these cars make it to "less experienced" owners, a lot of corners are cut, and the cars don't last much longer. Because of the state of most 7Ms, aftermarket parts are now virtually non-existent. JZ parts are still produced and readily available, which keeps the "swapped" cars up and running, but even those can't stay around forever.

Maybe it's time for me to move on to a newer car...

I recently read an article in Autoweek predicting an increase in interest in 80'-90's GT cars as forty-somethings look for cars from their youth. They were predicting an increase in price and demand for these vehicles and the article did mention the Supra.

I just got my car back on the road after a 4 year layover. The first day I got it back I stopped at the gas station and the guy in the next car asked if my supra was for sale. I've had this one on the road for a total of 2 years and in that time I've had notes left on my car, numerous comments at gas stations about the car and even a couple at a stop light. I was even asked if it was a Ferrari (it was dark, haha). New cars are not unique, they are all a dime a dozen. There's a mustang on every corner here. Its nice to drive something that is truly different.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Re:
Aftermarket 7m is virtually non-existent???

I disagree, I found parts quite easily. However, there are some parts that are extremely expensive. These usually have very low failure rates and are for the factory ecu functions (going by what I have run across... But there are similar sensors etc, that are functional in other cars (which is why I find this forum invaluable).

When I started to build my car, I had difficulty finding things, but over time I found that there wasn't anything I couldn't find and OEM was the most difficult because of parts being discontinued (face it... The MK3 is a very rare car). Driftmotion and the classifieds here have given me most of what I need for the 7M.

However... In 10-15 years I suspect it will be a lot harder to find anything and a 2jz swap would be the only route...

Last edited:

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
ZoomZoomZoom;2000658 said:
I recently read an article in Autoweek predicting an increase in interest in 80'-90's GT cars as forty-somethings look for cars from their youth. They were predicting an increase in price and demand for these vehicles and the article did mention the Supra.

I just got my car back on the road after a 4 year layover. The first day I got it back I stopped at the gas station and the guy in the next car asked if my supra was for sale. I've had this one on the road for a total of 2 years and in that time I've had notes left on my car, numerous comments at gas stations about the car and even a couple at a stop light. I was even asked if it was a Ferrari (it was dark, haha). New cars are not unique, they are all a dime a dozen. There's a mustang on every corner here. Its nice to drive something that is truly different.

This exactly. Any links to the article or was it an article in a hardcopy of Autoweek?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The one car I want to get (originally was the one I was hunting for when I got my mkiii) is a Supra mkii. Those are getting near impossible to find in proper condition without requiring a full resto.

I keep my eyes peeked though.. But it's hard because I don't want it to restore... I want it to enjoy. The mkiii has taken l my funds... Lol