Wheel Fitment & Question Thread

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
te72;1524274 said:
I disagree, based on the fact that a Mk2 with stock P-types looks gorgeous with 245's on it, and they're only a 7" width, last I checked. :)

It's different for Mk2s because of the sidewall aspect ratio. On a lower profile tire for a 17" or 18" rim, 245 on a 7" wheel looks very bulgy and will adversely affect handling.

However, a 245 on an 8 inch is no problem. No excess bulge and it fills the rim well. Also, for a 9.5 inch rim I would run a 275 if you have the power to warrant it. I run a 275 on a 9 inch and it fits fine. Little full but not in excess.

Mk3Soup

Proudly Sponsored By SPER
Aug 20, 2005
Queensland, Australia
hey guys,

looking at getting some rims for the track and i was wondering if it was possible to run 17x10's up front +35 with a 255/40 tire? rubbing guards doesnt really phase me (nothing a roll cant fix) im just more worried about the inner clearance.

cheers, Mark.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Widest I have ever seen in the front were 9's. A 10" with a 35 offset will sit out pretty far. This means you will likely have to roll and run a stretched tire to make it fit. They would also rub before the wheel reached lock. It would make more sense to run a smaller rim with the same amount of tire.

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
^Thats not flush at all, theyre way past the fender and your running skinny ass tires....it looks stupid. Sell them and buy some properly fitted rims and tires.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
SUPERIUM;1526094 said:
^Thats not flush at all, theyre way past the fender and your running skinny ass tires....it looks stupid. Sell them and buy some properly fitted rims and tires.
your kidding right i don't even feel like replying to this your a moron.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
I apologize, he got me off guard there my setup it not even close to as extreme as some of the setups in this thread. :3d_frown::3d_frown::3d_frown:

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
i can see your frustration at his post Ians13 but thats not what i'd call flush. the rim pokes past the guard and you've run stretch to compensate. however i wouldn't say they "hang like crazy either". if you lowered the front a little more you could run some more tyre up there. what is the offset anyway? its a 9inch wide yeh?

Mk3Soup

Aug 20, 2005
Queensland, Australia
ians13- do your front hit anything on the inside @ lock?

the wheels im asking about are purely for track days. so i want to run as wide of a tire as i can, hence the widest wheels possible(10f n 11r is what im aiming for). still deciding about the pros/cons of 17's vs 18's. only reason why id step up to 18's is the widths available in R compound tires

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
MK3 soup, kumho actually do the Ku36 nwider in 17s (315) than they do in 18s (275) - at least as far as australian availability goes. I guess its not really an R compound though. Plenty of peopole have run 9.5 up front on A70s without inner clearance issues, the 10 may be pushing it. i'd like to see someone run 11.5 on the rear with a 315 and 10s on the front with 275s.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
the only problem i have is the tire just bearly rubs the fender liner, that can be fixed easy with a heat gun.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

spiller;1526182 said:
i can see your frustration at his post Ians13 but thats not what i'd call flush. the rim pokes past the guard and you've run stretch to compensate. however i wouldn't say they "hang like crazy either". if you lowered the front a little more you could run some more tyre up there. what is the offset anyway? its a 9inch wide yeh?

there 10" all around +38 front +18 rear when the coilovers get installed, i will post pic's i know there is a little poke now but that's going to change.

Mk3Soup

Aug 20, 2005
Queensland, Australia
spiller- yea wanted to run the advan a048's or a050's in atleast 265 front n 285 rear. i could fit them onto 9.5 n 10.5's but if i could get a wider rim underneath the car i have the possibility of upping the tire sizes to 285/315. im just fortunate enough to have a panel beater as an old boy so even if the stick out a lil bit i can flare the guards without much hassle. just wasnt sure on what offset would give me the inner clearance needed for them to fit.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
old man who can panel beat is handy indeed! yeah inner clearance certainly seems to be the potential issue, cant just roll the strut out the way if it fouls haha. i guess you're gonna be hard pressed to find someone who has run those widths up front so trial and error may be the only way around it. I'm running 10 +22 at the back and 9+15 up the front. they fit no worries on the inside, plenty of clearance on the inside. you could use those numbers as a guide and throw yours into an offset calc to compare.

Mk3Soup

Aug 20, 2005
Queensland, Australia
yea he is most certainly a handy person to have around. haha. i think im just goin to have to spend some time with the car on stands n with the offset calc n a tape measure n try n see what i can fit under there. o well, atleast ive got something to start off with. thanks for your help spiller n everyone else.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
Here's my current rim and tire setup: I've got Linea Sport rims, 17x8 front 235/45/17, 17x9 rear 255/40/17. Not sure what the offset is, as these are the rims that came with the car. I'm going to sell these rims and buy some 5Zigen FN01R-Cs. For the front I would like to get 17x9, +35 offset, and use my 235/45/17 tires. And for the rear, 17x10, +35 offset, and use my 255/40/17 tires. I have Tien fully adjustable suspension, but don't wish to lower the car anymore. As far as I know, my fenders are not rolled either. Do you fellows suppose this rim and tire combo will work fine with no problems?

1000397i.jpg

1000398j.jpg

0000085.jpg

projectsupra

旧車スープラ
Apr 5, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
s235.photobucket.com
It will be fine, but why stretch tires when you'll still have such a mild offset? It will just make it look worse, even my 9.5 +15 would disappear behind my old S2 front lip. At that height with TEIN (SS/HA/RA/NR?) you can fit any tire you want, might as well use it.
The ClubLinea size and offset is cast and stamped between the pads on the backside.

Last edited:

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
I agree with the above post. you're going to want as much tyre as possible for grip reasons and to fill those guards because the widths and offsets alone wont do the trick. in any case you wont have to worry about fender mods

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I'm not entirely sure what specific Tien suspension I have. I'll have to go to the shop my car is sitting at and check. (Engine being rebuilt). Now that I'm looking at photos of my vehicle compared to others, maybe lowering it would be nice. Maybe just a tad. I still don't want to roll the fenders though.

So, 17x10 +25mm with 275/40 rear, and 17x9 +15 with 255/40 front?

Last edited: