Wheel Fitment & Question Thread

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
planning for future, still have a long list of things to sort, but w/ fn01rc's would 17x9 +15 and 17x10 +25 fit well w/ a minor roll? (would +20 fit better up front?)

also one more thing... I've never fooled around w/ the suspension on these cars... is there any hardware I'll need to get the camber right for every day driving? (normal range)

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
i cant tell you if those wheels will fit or not but stock our cars come with about -1.5% of camber in the rear and the fron tires are 0% so unless you are on the track i woulnd mess with it

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
Pretty sure stock camber settings will be around -0.5

If you have lowered your car you have "messed" with it already he was asking to correct it not to mention 25 year old bushings been driven wheel alignments dont last forever.

Dont know what they charge you but id just get it pro done with lazer equipment rather than mucking around at home

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
well, as it turns out I'll be getting some pillowball mounts w/ adjustable camber plates up front (rears aren't adjustable) and I'll be putting in all fresh poly bushings... so is fitment of different wheel manufacturers/models different from each other?.... if so this could get hairy

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
rodel;1918567 said:
Wilcox: Yes, lip is part of the overall width

correct me if I am wrong... but; as I understand it...

it is measured from where the tire bead sits, on the inside of the rim, so the actual "overall width" and manufacture spec width are different,

the last time I measured some 17X7.5 the overall was more like 8"(outer edge to outer edge)...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya it's where the bead of the tire goes.

Outer edge of the wheel will vary between wheels slightly. Doesn't really make a difference tho.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Hi guys, been following this thread forever, but haven't actually posted a rim/tire combo for consideration up to this point. My car is only slightly dropped (NOT to many of your taste, but function is much more important than style at my age... ;) so figure 1"~1.5" only lowered on original EARLY '90s HKS/KYB full suspension (unobtanium) with TEMS. (Still working well after 20 years!!!) I LIKE some sidewall and don't "stretch" tires, and my rubber will be modest all around and even footprint. Here's where I'm at and what I would like input on for fit.

255/50/17 Tires FR/RR

Question is:

17x9 30 offset FR/RR

-OR-

17x9.5 15 offset FR/RR

I have 17x8 23? offset all around now and they clear my Wilwoods (ARZ KIT) barely, but work fine. (Running the indicated rubber.) Also, I have NO ROLL and don't intend to unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. (I like the car as "stock" externally as possible, and as "sleeper" plain-Jane as I can keep it.)

Will either of those work and/or what are my considerations as to how it will come out? (I've done a variety of calculations, but neither of those are on the initial combo list in thread, and I don't recall seeing that specific setup. This size is also specific to some rims I'm looking at as the two options. I do not plan to go up to 18" rim, although I know that is what more (most?) of you would suggest. (Road feel and compliance of ride on sidewall is also a consideration for me.)

Thanks for any constructive feedback.

-crisp

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Is there a benefit, when going staggered, to get smaller diameter wheels in the front?

A local tire shop gave me a quote and when I got home noticed that the quote was for
18/9.5 rear and
17/8.5 front

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
no, I would go same size all the way around, just remember that your percentages change with width. So... if you have a 9.5 rear, your sidewall width % will be smaller than the front to go same height all the way around. If you go 17's on the front you will need more sidewall or your nose will dip slightly which will throw off the steering dynamics a bit. (probably not enough to cause serious issues)

Im really interested in why he suggested 18's in back and 17's on the front... maybe he owns a 70's Cutlass?

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Grandavi;1925089 said:
Im really interested in why he suggested 18's in back and 17's on the front... maybe he owns a 70's Cutlass?

Lol maybe that's it...

Don't think it was a typo... He quoted me different size tires also

Here is the quote

uploadfromtaptalk1364056226390.jpg

I was very confused on why he did that but before I go call him an idiot I wanted to make sure there wasn't a good reason to make my car sit like a 79 duster in the 80s

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lol.. treat everyone with respect.. even idiots. You never know when one makes housecalls... : P

and yeah.. looking at the tire sizes, he did do it purposefully but I think his head is on wrong. The width/sidewall ration looks correct to give you correct stance, but not with a 1" smaller front rim.

Personally I would stay with 17" unless ... 1. You plan on getting a BBK later and 2. You are going for look over performance.

I find my 18's dont have enough sidewall for any hook on the road for take off so I can spin the wheels quite easily now. I am probably going to be getting a BBk on the car which is why I went that route with 18's.. however.. I am considering going to 17's again if I dont.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
These were the wheels...
uploadfromtaptalk1364148843604.jpg

I would like to eventually go bbk
But It won't be for a while so I might as well go with 17s thanks....

These are sold as staggered wheels....
What does that Fwd mean?

doesn't mean front wheel drive does it?