Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

j3r3my

Jul 19, 2010
mass
so is anyone running these 100% without sputter or any sort of acting up? and who has pushed power on these so far? i want to run some on my setup which will be in the 500's rwhp any in this region with these coils?

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
I've been running these since before this thread existed. Ive never had sputter due to the swap. The only time I get sputter now is when I hit 17psi... But thats because I'm running ungapped Denso Iridiums for the Honda v6 j30a4. My old iridiums were fouled and this was all I had laying around and I cant gap them... So they are at 0.048"

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
j3r3my;1634355 said:
so is anyone running these 100% without sputter or any sort of acting up? and who has pushed power on these so far? i want to run some on my setup which will be in the 500's rwhp any in this region with these coils?
Lots of guys on the IS forums seem to do fine up to 600rwhp. I've pushed mine over 400rwhp and thanks to my crappy wastegate spiked to 22psi i.e. possibly 450+. I may also sell mine and return to stock since they still work and I'm needing to fund my 1jz Cressy build.

j3r3my

Jul 19, 2010
mass
kneedragger85;1638353 said:
Lots of guys on the IS forums seem to do fine up to 600rwhp. I've pushed mine over 400rwhp and thanks to my crappy wastegate spiked to 22psi i.e. possibly 450+. I may also sell mine and return to stock since they still work and I'm needing to fund my 1jz Cressy build.

well i have my stock coil pack and stock wires if you need them and ill buy your c.o.p setup :naughty:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
oldsking;1682361 said:
Has anybody successfuly installed the coils WITH the oil galley cover on? I prefer leaving it in place is so

you can't. the coils sit down in the valley. if you want to keep crap from falling down there, make a cover the goes over the top.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Just picked up 3 coils for $70 shipped.
Looking forward to trying this mod out. I see that Flubyux is using a plug gapped at .048", with no breakup at 17psi. This tells me that another benefit to this mod might simply be more efficient combustion @ idle/part throttle, due to that increased gap. Am I over-assuming here, or if this is the case, wouldn't that suggest a slight improvement to mileage?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You won't get an improvement in milage or power unless your current set up is not good enough and you had slight misfire. It shows up on a dyno and even better with a 4 or 5 gas analyzer.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, I do have a slight miss at idle.
Not sure if it's the same as everyone else that's reported a miss; it's like one micro-miss every
3 or 4 seconds, hardly noticeable, actually. And I have done the igniter ground mod.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
I have the same miss. Sometimes worse than others. I have also done the igniter ground mod with this upgrade and I still have the miss. Im pretty sure its the igniter set up with this engine. Guess I will never know unless I go stand alone.