Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Ok, so this is what is needed,

-Coil Packs From 2001 IS300 With A VVTi Engine
-7M Coil Pack Harness

Any special spark plugs to use to get the plugs to fit? Could Aaron make a new coil pack harness if I called and asked him to since I have bought everything for all the Supra's we have built from there....a little over eight grand.

Took, would you be able to make a coil pack cover like that for me? How much would you want, PM'd.

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
IBoughtASupra;1528778 said:
Ok, so this is what is needed,

-Coil Packs From 2001 IS300 With A VVTi Engine
-7M Coil Pack Harness

Any special spark plugs to use to get the plugs to fit? Could Aaron make a new coil pack harness if I called and asked him to since I have bought everything for all the Supra's we have built from there....a little over eight grand.

Took, would you be able to make a coil pack cover like that for me? How much would you want, PM ME.

If you want to make a new harness, it is pretty straight forward. Pheonix Tuning sells the connectors and terminals, you just need to measure the wire lengths and crimp the terminals on. You can also re-use your old connectors if you depin them.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
I'm about to buy some of these coils.. few questions though. Sorry I don't have the patience to read thru 33 pages.

1) Could I use the stock 7m harness, just lengthen it? Or are you saying I need to buy the connectors for these coils?
2) The coil packs from any 2JZ-GE VVTi will work?
3) Spark plug wires.. which ones work? The stock 6/4/2 wires?

-Mike

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
HI,
Yes you can use the stock one but you will need to cut and lengthen. Or you have the option of making brand new harness with supplies from phoenix tuning. Yes and the wires should be wires from the is300. 7m wires will not work with these coils.

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
i installed mine yesterday but for some reason i can not boost it, it sounds awefull, and the smell of unburn gas is incredible, check for spark and there is what it should be in every spark plug, only thing i noticed is that spark looks weaker, and when i remove the spark plug wire the engine doesn`t seem to change much unlike before i could notice it was working on 5 cylinders. Do i need to put the ground somewhere? did i miss something?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Sounds like your wires are loose, make sure the spring is touching the sparkplug, and make sure the wires coming off the coilpacks are on nice and tight. Remember, only the boots coming off the wires plug in nice and tightly, the coilpacks are actually loose, and should be held down, BUT for just testing and idling, only the spring needs contact. If you're missing the spring on 1, then you found your problem..

EDIT: on second thought do you have them in the right order? You may have 1 swapped, as in where there should be a coilpack, you have a spark plug wire. The coil packs should be in cylinders 2, 3, and 6, wires should be going to 1, 4 and 5...

Oh and incase no one has mentioned this, you need to remove the spark plug gallery to install them

Last edited:

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
RazoE;1538713 said:
Sounds like your wires are loose, make sure the spring is touching the sparkplug, and make sure the wires coming off the coilpacks are on nice and tight. Remember, only the boots coming off the wires plug in nice and tightly, the coilpacks are actually loose, and should be held down, BUT for just testing and idling, only the spring needs contact. If you're missing the spring on 1, then you found your problem..

EDIT: on second thought do you have them in the right order? You may have 1 swapped, as in where there should be a coilpack, you have a spark plug wire. The coil packs should be in cylinders 2, 3, and 5, wires should be going to 1, 4 and 6...

Oh and incase no one has mentioned this, you need to remove the spark plug gallery to install them
Seems i changed the order of the coils, i put them in this order:
coil--------wire
2-----------5
3-----------4
6-----------1

if wire is on number 6 cylinder, what coil do i take the wire from? could you please give me the right order, coil and wire? thanks

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
I have been so looking forward to this upgrade for the last month since reading about it. Cant believe I am seeing this years after it was introduced. Took me several weeks to find used coils at a descent price. I spent most of the day increasing the length of the harness and making other few small modification to get everything installed. To my dismay though, after all the work and attempts to pay attention to detail, it didnt improve the condition of my car but worsened it. I was having several of the symptoms I have read about in this thread and was hoping to lose them all. Ex. difficult to start. Cutting out an high rpm, and slight miss at idle. Now I have a dead miss at idle and a bad gas smell. The car started right up and idled perfect for a minute or two. But then started the miss. My coils and wires are used, so I realize that either or both could be bad. I have my coils on 6 with wire going to 1, 2 going to 5, and 3 going to 4. I also lengthened my old coil harness as a practice run, before hacking on the brand new one. I guess that could be an issue as well. The only thing I have tried so far is pulling plug wires off the plugs, trying to notice change in idle. All of them caused a noticeable difference in idle. I guess the wires could still be bad. I also verified the correct wire to plug location with the new harness.

Is there any way to check the coils? If I cant get this figured out then I will reinstall the original 7m coils with the lengthened harness to eliminate the possibility of the harness being the culprit. Im also considering ordering new plug wires to eliminate that possibility as well. Anyone have any other ideas?

Great work tookwik. Even though my setup isnt working. I know it does by all the great feedback so far. Im as happy as everyone else you discovered this excellent set up!

CassMori

Boost Addict
I don't know if you've checked this or not but - what kind of plugs are you using? Are they in good condition? ND or NGK plugs seem to work best (I got rid of a persistent idle miss by switching to NGK a couple of years ago, based on information I found in a thread here). I haven't done this mod yet, but it sounds like you're either getting too much fuel in all cylinders, or not getting enough spark in all cylinders. I would at least check the plug condition; but based on the trouble you said you were having before this mod, my first inclination would be an issue with the plugs.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
i am using ngk's. I think the number is bkr7e?? I dont remember seeing anyone else using that particular plug in this thread. I got them from driftmotion which is the one they recommend. At least when i bought them a couple of years ago. I think I have about 4-5000 miles on them.I checked as best I could on the height issue. I measured with my calipers and it appears the plug is tall enough to hit the spring. I need to verify with all the coils as I can only get to the #2 with the car back together.

This miss I had on the original coils was not a bad miss and not a constant miss. It wouldnt do it all the time. I always thought it was spark. My wideband is not currently working, but when it was, my AFR's where always good. So I dont believe its fuel either. The way its idling right now is considerably worse than on the original coils.

CassMori

Boost Addict
One thing you may want to look at is grounding - I was recently having issues with poor idling and with the engine dying at low/idle rpm's. Turned out to be an issue with insufficient grounding. Does the new coil-pack set-up have a ground strap equivalent to the one on the original coil packs?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
nope..

double check your OEM coils with your extended harness..

also, as mentioned before since you were having issues before the coilpack swap, you might have other problems instead..

check codes and report back..

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
I was thinking the same thing about the stock coils. I also just verified through quiet observation, which I didnt have in the garage last night, that I know the springs are contacting the plugs. You can hear the load on them when you press them down into their location. Also I forgot to mention that the first thing I did was check codes. There are none. I dont really consider the problem I had with the original coils a serious problem anyway. I mean obviously the car wasnt performing like it should with the slight miss at idle. The need to crank more than usual when warmed up was the one bugging me the most. And the gas smell after starting because of the need to crank to run. The cutting out at high rpm I never did think was anything more than fuel cut or something like that. I never looked into it much though. Happened right before redline between 6000-6500 rpm. I have a ct-26 57 trim with full 3" exhaust. Stock fuel set up with wahlbro pump. Stock intercooler. Stock afm. so pretty basic setup. Not doubting that I had another problem that maybe manifested when I upgraded of course!

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
update. I reinstalled my factory coils and it runs fine. Thats with the old coil harness that I soldered up. So im pretty sure its not my coil harness. My next bet and hope would be the plug wires. Im trying to find some at a local auto parts. Not having any luck. Nobody stocks them for a lexus. Been trying the 98 supra turbo and they take the same part #. So out of luck in both ways. My local dealers are redciulous on prices. I dont want to buy from them period!

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
IBoughtASupra;1559694 said:
Have your local part store order them or get them online from RockAuto.com

I have used after market plug wires and my supes before. It just doesnt pay. The quality of factory toyota wires are unmatched. If I have to order them, which I did, then I will order them from toyota. Champion toyota has great prices but when you figure shipping, it was a difference of less than $10 and I know the local dealer should get them to me tomorrow. As long as that one they are showing is actually there. Any time I order from Champion, its the end of the week at least.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

RazoE;1559685 said:
maybe your cold start injector is acting up, and running too rich at start up, or something...

I actually thought about that as well. But when I did my rebuild, I had all the injectors tested and cleaned. Not to say that is NOT whats happening. I will have a better idea once I get this upgrade up and running. If I still have troubles then I will look into it further. I also tested the temp sensors on the water neck. Thinking that was causing the cold start injector to fire even when warm. Didnt find anything wrong there either.