Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Did you double check and make sure each coil has its spring?

i know this might sound a little bit insulting, but it's possible as it happened to me :)D ), make sure you take off the spark plug galley cover, otherwise the tubes arent' long enough to reach the spark plug and you're running on 3 cylinders (if at all)...

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
RazoE;1559785 said:
Did you double check and make sure each coil has its spring?

i know this might sound a little bit insulting, but it's possible as it happened to me :)D ), make sure you take off the spark plug galley cover, otherwise the tubes arent' long enough to reach the spark plug and you're running on 3 cylinders (if at all)...

yes each coil has their springs. I have posted a thread about my problems in the tech section. Im having issues with my stock setup now. Dont want to clutter this thread any more.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
ok update. My problem ended up being the porcelain badly cracked on the number 6 plug. I must have done this early maybe when I was locking it down. But anyway I replaced all the plugs, put back on my factory coils and it ran fine. So then I installed the 2jz coils and it still runs fine. Unfortuneately Im not seeing the benefits others have seen. I still have that intermittent bump at idle. Its not all the time. It will be idling fine and then an intermittent bump will come out of nowhere. Seems to start the same as well. But I think I am able to reach redline without cutting out. I havent had a good opportunity to try that yet. None the less. Im very happy to get those coils off the top of the cam covers. Looks much better,and that alone is worth it. Good job kwick!!

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
Hi guys,
I have the mod done but I lost one wire. Can you look at the wire clips(plastic holder) and tell what the letters say? Im trying to pick up the missing one but they sell them as holder #1,#2 or #3. Mine are labeled as E and C? If anyone can tell me which one I need to buy that would be great.

ecko

Feb 18, 2008
Tasmania
sorry for asking but i couldnt see a definate answer,

will vvti 2jzgte work or is it only 2jzge vvti.

maybe first post could e updated with a full guide?

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
I can't tell are those the same plugs of the original harness that clip on to the coils or are those the plugs from the IS300? And do you have any more pictures of you putting together the harness, like wire lengths etc.?

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
hatchet9mm;1617974 said:
I can't tell are those the same plugs of the original harness that clip on to the coils or are those the plugs from the IS300? And do you have any more pictures of you putting together the harness, like wire lengths etc.?
The coilpack harness plugs are the same (IS300 and 7M).

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
hatchet9mm;1618619 said:
but what are looking at wire length wise, and is there a diagram that shows what goes where?
I think I extended the 1-6 about 10" and the 3-4 about 8". I can't remember since it's been about 8 months since extended the stock harness. The plug/COP location doesn't matter since it's a waste-spark system as long as plugs/cylinders etc 1&6, 2&5, and 3&4 share the same harness plug from the igniter. Currently I have a cop/plug setup of 6/1, 2/5, and 3/4 which fits the stock manifold and throttle bracket setup.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
Has anyone figured out what to do in order to get the dust boots to seal the spark plugs into the pockets?

I cant use shorter lenth spark plugs cuz then the coil packs won't sit on the plug properly. And I don't know where/which silicone dust boots to change to. The only thing I can imagine is to fab up a spacer collar that can be pressed into the spark plug well and increase the overall depth of the well so the vvti coils will seal fully.

4sfed

Jul 30, 2006
Wisconsin
flubyux2;1619051 said:
Has anyone figured out what to do in order to get the dust boots to seal the spark plugs into the pockets?
I'm wondering the same thing, especially for #3.
flubyux2;1619051 said:
I cant use shorter lenth spark plugs cuz then the coil packs won't sit on the plug properly. And I don't know where/which silicone dust boots to change to. The only thing I can imagine is to fab up a spacer collar that can be pressed into the spark plug well and increase the overall depth of the well so the vvti coils will seal fully.
What sparkplugs are best for this? I run the ND PQ20R-P8 and as stated above, the coil pack doesn't seem to sit down on the plug, especially #3. The one end of the coil is up against the cam cover bolt areas on either side - the valley doesn't seem to be wide enough between the two middle camcover bolts to allow it to go down any further.
I don't know, maybe that little spring in there is long enough to make good contact. I guess I'll figure it out tomorrow when I finish up. It's getting dark too early nowadays.

4sfed

Jul 30, 2006
Wisconsin
Never mind. Everything works just fine. Just a tight fit for the middle COP, but now that everything is secured down it is almost like it was made for it. Gotta have faith.

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
hey guys, i just finished tookwiks mod on my 89 turbo, started up the car and it ran good , but the idle doesnt wanna drop after warming up, seems like sometimes the rpms wanna drop but the motor wants to shut off/sputters a little and the rpms go back up to 1.5k, anyone else had this? thanks

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
that's what I thought, but IS300s have a 2JZ-GE, so technically they are 2JZ coils.

Last edited: