Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Great writeup, about to do this mod to my NA-T 2jz that runs on 7M electronics. I have a couple of extra sets of the IS300 coils I'll sell if anyone is interested, just PM me...

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
Okay. I just finished reading through this whole thread. Love Tookwik's setup. I'm a bit surprised that nobody asked what happens to the little white ground wire (I assume it's a ground) that goes from one of the fuel rail mounts to the 7M coil pack plate. Didn't even see it in any pictures.

Warlock1

Mar 13, 2012
Surprise, AZ
So I have my coils mounted and when I went to remove the plugs from the original coil packs every fkn one of them broke. The wires are cracked and generally just junk. I saw somewhere that someone was making the harness for a decent price. This still happening?

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
Yes.....thats it. IS300 coils, plugs, and the 7M coil pack harness that needs to be extend to reach the coil on #6 and #3. I believe the coil that sits on #2 is close enough to the wiring harness connection. This will be one of my first mods when i have all the little bugs fixed on my 88 supra.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Okay, so I have read through this thread and I love every bit of it.
Absolutely can not wait to do this. Nice clean look instead of big coil packs and what not

Now i do have one question though..And I have read every post in here, but my head hurts so i probably missed it.

When doing this mod everything is pretty much plug and play which is awesome. I couldn't help but wonder though..What did you do for the little ground wire? The wire that you tighten down onto the coil pack for the ground.

I'm sorry if I missed it or it's a very easy answer, just can't wrap my head around how it is grounded.

Thanks!

Edit: Hurp durp, just saw Mikesfixedroof had already asked this question on the previous page hah

However, the question still remains

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
That is correct poodles ^

I'm just curious. Everything about this mod is straight forward and seems simple enough. The only thing that throws me off is what to do with the ground wire

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, if yoo do some kind of hold down for the coils, they'll be grounded that way. The only reason that ground strap is needed for the stock setup is because the coils aren't rigidly mounted and instead use rubber insulators.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
I guess I'm still confused, but my is300 coils don't have anywhere to ground too. There is the connector for the wiring harness, the secondary spark plug wire connector, and the spark plug connector on the bottom. There is no exposed metal to ground, they are a sealed plastic casing.