Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

drr999

Apr 23, 2011
Coquitlam, BC
this is an awesome write up but ive had a small issue. i am running my 7mgte in a 77 celica. when i put the is300 coils in the my car started to miss at idle and only got worse while running. i soldered all the wires and checked the resistances with a multimeter and there is only .7-.8 ohms on any of the wires between the coil packs and the ignitor. i switched back to the stock coils and its fine again. i tried adjusting the timing but it didnt solve the problem. any suggestions on how i can fix this?

i am running brand new ngk iridium plugs and wires.

bad88mk3

Banned
Apr 14, 2013
Somewhere in florida
Ok well i have one question does anybody know if the stock plug wires will fit these coils.Well i have ngk blues but still will they fit the coils cause the stockers are really small on the is300 coils like 5mm and my ngks are 8mm i believe.Any input would be much appreciated thanks.joel

drr999

Apr 23, 2011
Coquitlam, BC
The 7mgte Ngk wire will not work on the is300 coils. They won't plug into the coil packs. It has also been said in this thread that the factory wires are better then the aftermarket ones.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
What in the world.. I set everything up today nice and perfect but it's a no go. Car just cranks and cranks but no start

I'm wondering if by chance it's the spark plugs?? I bought the autolites mentioned in this thread, but upon closer review, it seems the tops of them may be...wrong?

Instead of a 'block' type head where the boot meets the plug, it's circular and threaded..maybe not creating contact and the plugs i have are messed up??

Any input on why it's cranking but not starting would be greatly appreciated.

Set-up is:

Coil on 6- plug 1
coil on 2- plug 5
coil on 3- plug 4

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Scratch that...
Put the old plugs that were in it previously (worked fine) and still nothing..

Just cranking and cranking no start.. This does work with oem set up correct??..

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Just did. Getting 1-2

Code 12 is rpm signal or something isn't it? Or something like that I think.

Idk, I mean, everything is hooked up the way it should be

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
just did

Everything is intact and tight.

Car started and drove absolutely fine before this, and i haven't touched the cps at all when doing the c.o.p. mod

bad88mk3

Banned
Apr 14, 2013
Somewhere in florida
well for it to give a code 12 it has to be related to the cps or related wiring. (quote from tsrm) "code 12 Problem Area: RPM signal Description: ECU has no “NE” or “G” signal within 2 seconds of cranking Areas to investigate: 1. Alarm/immobiliser 2. CPS/distributor (or circuits) 3. signal circuit"

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Yes yes I did (thank you) already have it put on haha

Something just isn't making sense. I didn't touch the cps at all (i know thats what code 12 means)

Just isn't starting ever since doing the c.o.p. set-up

Cranks fine (new starter) cps should be fine, didn't touch it, and car worked perfectly normal before doing any of this.

All the clips are clipped in, plugs are nice and tight..? hmm

bad88mk3

Banned
Apr 14, 2013
Somewhere in florida
ok great glad to hear and yeah that is weird im not sure but maybe the prob is in your extended coil pack harness. If you still have your old coil packs and a different coil harness i would try them just to rule it out.