Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Yeah I still got them, just a pain in the ass to take everything apart and hook all the old stuff up again lol.

I'll prob end up tackling it tomorrow. crazy tired to work on the car right now

bad88mk3

Banned
Apr 14, 2013
Somewhere in florida
I did have this problem once and it was because of one of the wires came out of the cps conector so i recomend double checking just to be on the safe side.Also if the cps is leaking any oil inside behind the cover it could cause related problems.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Oh ok def worth a double check then

So, hypothetically, if it were the cps wire or wires or oil in it whatever. It could just up and quit just like that, no rough starting, or if it did start maybe some stumbling idle or whatever? It would just not start at all and just crank?

If so I def will check it out. I just hate how coincidental it is that it only just started doing this after everything was all set-up now

bad88mk3

Banned
Apr 14, 2013
Somewhere in florida
It just depends but with oil in the cps its usually causes a rough start and shitty idle ect and if its a broke wire or connection it would just not start at all and just crank.keep me updated with what you find out and i still wouldnt rule out the extended coil harness untill you've tried your old coils and coil harness.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Please disregard all my latest posts. It had nothing to do with the ignition, coils, plugs etc.

It was my ignorance on thinking it wasn't the Cps.

I checked it out and yes, one of the wires are fubared.

Thanks for all the help though!!

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
Gary, you have to build it yourself. Driftmotion has coil harnesses you can get to modify, and they also sell the coils and wires.

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Guys i dont get in here very often but i am currently putting this mod together. I will be looking into building a simple plate to locate and secure the coils and wires. Im using a spare head for the mock up. If successful i will have a plate that lifts the ignition off as a whole rather than fumbling around with the wires and coils. So far i have threaded the bolt hole of each coil using a m8x1.25 tap. Works like a charm and no harm to the coil. Dont know if anyone has gone down this path but if this work i will put up pics and measurments of the plate and the final solution. Wish me luck i would love to contribute a bit to this community.

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
I plan on mocking up a sheet metal plate that stabilizes the coils and bolts to the factory coil mounts. Let me know if yours works an if you are willing to make another one and I might buy it off you. Currently there is no stabilizers for my coils and I get a decent miss because of it.

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
So i worked most of today on the hold down and got the initial template down. I am still waiting for my wires to come in but i have the hardest part out of the way.
This is where i am now...
963753_10151487229848543_1436380122_o.jpg

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Wires came in today, will get the template finished before the week is out then ill start on the first hold down.
Anyone have thoughts on ventalation?

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Hey everyone. I just recently did this mod to my car, and there's one aspect that's really frustrating me. Right now I have (what I believe to be) stock IS300 wires, and the wire from the coil on cylinder 3 to cylinder 4 is too long, and has to snake around aimlessly. Is there any option for an extra-short replacement wire so I don't have this happening? Thanks!

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Yes i found the 3/4 wire annoying as well. There are no options available for the shorter wire. I considered cutting and re-terminating but hate to cut into brand new wires.
This is the best routing i could muster but should roll....
1012621_10151492279638543_1521400311_n.jpg

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Small update, got the harness finished today and made sure it would clear the template. Hunting materials through the week. May go phenolic if it proves right. Will get pics once the first is finished and installed.