Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
OK fellas, I know not everyone cares about modifying things like this just for asthetics. If I had to pick a side, I would be with the function group rather than the form......but I'm not the guy that thinks you have to pick one or the other.

I've been wanting to figure this out for quite some time. Last year, I was planning to make it happen with 1JZ or 2JZ coils. After alot of searching , I found that BigAaron was already in the process and it wasn't working with the factory ignitor. He finally beat the system and made it work, but it took 2 ignitors, and a circuit board that Aaron designed for it. I believe it was just more complication than it was worth, and he came up with a mod to move the coils under the intake.....which is great, but not for me with the RonR short runner. I was bummed and didn't give it much thought for a while since it just didn't seem like it would work with our waste fire setup without a stand alone.

Then one day, about a month ago, it hit me while I was doing a tune up on a 97 Tercel of all cars. Toyota made several cars in the late 90's and up with COP and a waste fire. So I started trying coils from everything I could find.....Camry, Avalon, 4runner, Tercel, so on. Everthing was too tall, they all have spark plug tubes. I posted a want ad for some 1J or 2J coils, thinking i could use the shorter tubes on the waste fire coils. In the meantime, while searching the web, I found that the Lexus 2J's had a waste fire C.O.P. that was short. Come to find out one model of Supra has it also, the 98 N/A with vvti. BINGO!!

I picked up a set of low mile used coils off ebay from an IS300 and ordered a set of new wires from the 98 Supra N/A through work.

Here is what the IS300 coil looks like...

p537026_1.jpg

Here is a pic of them in the head without wiring...I will make some 6mm studs for them to bolt down. I will drill just a little bit into the oil galley plug, enough to catch a thread or two and epoxy them in, or maybe find a better way with a small bracket. They don't need much to hold them down as they sit pretty nicely in place as it is.

p537026_2.jpg

I made a new harness for these, I got anal as usual and resoldered the pins at the connector, and replaced the connectors on the coil end. It's a fairly simple but time consuming process.
p537026_3.jpg

p537026_4.jpg

Here's all the parts neccesary to make it happen, pretty simple mod now that we know what we're looking for!!

p537026_5.jpg

I drove the car about 10 miles, achieving 20psi and over 6,000 RPM's with no breakup. I won't be driving the car much in the next couple months as I'm tearing it down for body work. If any of you tech experts see a reason why it wont last or might fail in time, please speak up. Primary coil specs on ours and these are pretty much equal. I browsed IS300.net and found members are running turbo cars up to high 20's boost and 550-650 HP on the factory IS300 coils. Since I've already crossed the 600 flywheel HP mark, I will probably run an HKS DLI and try finding some high performance wires for these....which I haven't found yet, if anyone knows of some...please speak up.

Here is a quick vid of the Red Rocket running on the setup...

Finally, the bling.....I will polish this cover I made for mine now that I know the setup works!:icon_razz

Ignition System.....what....where:biglaugh: :love:

p537026_7.jpg

p537026_8.jpg

EDIT.....I am adding pics of coils installed with the brackets, I shaved a little off the coil that sits on #6, so it sits in nice and straight, the one on the left I trimmed and thats the bracket...it bolts into the threaded hole on the rear plug in the head.
p537026_9.jpg

Here it is installed....
p537026_10.jpg

This is the bracket for the other 2, they sit on top of #2&3 plugs. The plug in the head between them is not threaded, so I took the rear one from a spare head.
p537026_11.jpg

Here they are installed....
p537026_12.jpg

And this is the complete setup installed waiting for the cover to be completed....
p537026_13.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Nice going 2quick ;) Looks like you have your answer already... The car isn't breaking up at all right? and at high boost etc? Can you log timing? See if it actually has any breaks in the curves. again, it sounds like it is already working for you though.

Nice install

Duane

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
yea you need to talk to him...john if this starts to be carried i know what i want to spend my gift certif on ;)

ps. you get your index.htm situation figured out?

spoolint78

Representing T.O
Mar 30, 2005
T.O
that is one sweet setup bro.
So just to get this straight, because i'm not too familiar with this approach.
You put the coils on 3 of the sparkplugs, then the sparkplug wires off each coil goes into the remaining 3 sparkplugs?

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
spoolint78 said:
that is one sweet setup bro.
So just to get this straight, because i'm not too familiar with this approach.
You put the coils on 3 of the sparkplugs, then the sparkplug wires off each coil goes into the remaining 3 sparkplugs?
Exactly....you just have to make a longer harness, and find a way to secure the new coilpacks.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
First off, I just want to say that's great you finally did something about that damn coil pack. I LOVE your engine bay and have always hoped that you were going to do something with that big old thing soon!

I read a little fast, but I didn't see how much you spent on everything? Did I miss it or did you not post.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Justin said:
First off, I just want to say that's great you finally did something about that damn coil pack. I LOVE your engine bay and have always hoped that you were going to do something with that big old thing soon!

I read a little fast, but I didn't see how much you spent on everything? Did I miss it or did you not post.
LMAO....thanks! I have a new p/s res too, thats the next eyesore to go.

I'm going to get some prices on parts tomorrow, if you buy new coils, that will be the expensive part, if we can source a supply of good used ones, that helps. I will offer a do it yourself kit, maybe harness. I'm giving info to Aaron for those that want it made up for you. Maybe Aaron or Jon can come up with a sweet cover. I made mine by hand and for the time I spend on it, you wont want to pay me. Need someone to take my idea to cad, pump out some covers and give me a nice shiny aluminum one:) the one I made is stainless.

I'd like to see a couple people run around with the setup and rack some miles on it to make sure it holds out, but I cant really see why it won't. Just dont wanna go crazy selling stuff and find problems.

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
wow, this is good news. i myself was looking into this slowly. so it has to come from any 2jz n/a vvti , is300 or supra. and you just had to lenghten the wire harness! sweet. i will definetly follow this post.i put the ramirez short manifold as well, and those coilpacks where really, really bothering me!!!:icon_razz nice , nice work!!

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
As always I follow a gay joke post!!! Thanks for the PM Ken I am glad it worked out for you and for all of us. Ken told me about this in a PM when he was working on it and he was really excited that he might have this figured out. This is a huge step I think for the 7M guys to get rid of the fugly coil pack. Way to go Ken!!! :icon_bigg

Oh on a side note the Red Rocket sounds great!!!:icon_bigg

All Hail Ken!!!!

Last edited:

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
tookwik4u89 said:
Need someone to take my idea to cad, pump out some covers and give me a nice shiny aluminum one:)

I'd like to see a couple people run around with the setup and rack some miles on it to make sure it holds out, but I cant really see why it won't. Just dont wanna go crazy selling stuff and find problems.

It would be neat to have somethign with 7M-GTE cut out of it, assuming someone makes it in CAD. That would be neat. I've always wanted to make something that will make the entire top of the engine more streamline.

What would change over time? I mean if it works now, wouldn't it work later, assuming a part doesn't fail?

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Justin said:
It would be neat to have somethign with 7M-GTE cut out of it, assuming someone makes it in CAD. That would be neat. I've always wanted to make something that will make the entire top of the engine more streamline.

What would change over time? I mean if it works now, wouldn't it work later, assuming a part doesn't fail?
I don't anticipate any problems with it, In fact I'd bet on it. I think I'm going to run a DLI on it, or DIS-4, but I've read up on it and it seems the HKS unit has been more reliable. I'll run it on the 1/4 mile this spring and see how it does.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
tookwik4u89 said:
I don't anticipate any problems with it, In fact I'd bet on it. I think I'm going to run a DLI on it, or DIS-4, but I've read up on it and it seems the HKS unit has been more reliable. I'll run it on the 1/4 mile this spring and see how it does.

I'm excited about this man. I'm going to be doing a FFIM soon as well and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the stock coil setup.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
I'm copying part of this reply I wrote to Larry_A in the same thread I ran on SF because I know I have dicussed this miss with several of you guys when we were first setting up maft pro, dont remember everyone that also had it, but ChrisO i'm pretty sure was one, maybe Mike Malloy.

"I failed to mention it in the threads but mine also had the "bump" miss at idle, If thats what you mean, and I didn't notice it at all after the swap. In fact I just went outside and started it, let it idle for about 20 minutes after reading your post......nothing ....smooth.....awesome, that has been bugging the hell out of me for the longest time, and I always thought it was air/fuel related. "

In fact it was bugging me this morning when it was doing it before I swapped the coils.

I'm going to throw the setup on my DD for awhile and drive around with it, maybe tomorrow or Tuesday.