Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
CryoSlash said:
:rofl: justin you are the end of me.

hahaha what the hell does that mean?! :D

btw: I called champion. New these are 88 bucks each. That doesn't include the additional plug wire, or a harness.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Justin said:
hahaha what the hell does that mean?! :D

btw: I called champion. New these are 88 bucks each. That doesn't include the additional plug wire, or a harness.

could you simply hook your stock (or aftermarket) plug wires to these coils? just pick the three that are the length you need and use those? i would assume that would work and give you an upgraded wire diameter if you wanted it....

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Idealsupra said:
could you simply hook your stock (or aftermarket) plug wires to these coils? just pick the three that are the length you need and use those? i would assume that would work and give you an upgraded wire diameter if you wanted it....
As far as the wires go, you can't use stock 7M wires. The lexus wires are smaller diameter, and they wont fit into the coils. Everything on the newer stuff has the 5mm wires. Toyota makes quality stuff, and the Lexus guys are making big power on stock wires. In fact no one has had much luck with the high performance stuff, and none of it is made specifically for these. NGK makes exact fit replacements, not an upgrade. Then there are cheapies out there, but I won't go there. A new set of wires can be had from the dealer for under $50.

I really like that louver look Mike, I hope someone comes across this that can make it happen.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
this thread is what I been waiting for.. I whole heartly hate the way the 7m coil packs where set up. hell not much more I can say but this rocks and is going to be one of my next mods.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
bryanintexas said:
Did you get around to securing them yet? Other than drilling?
I will be doing it at work tomorrow, and there will be no drilling required :icon_razz .....other than a bolt hole in the brackets I am making. It's a very cool and simple solution, I'll post pics.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
tookwik4u89 said:
I will be doing it at work tomorrow, and there will be no drilling required :icon_razz .....other than a bolt hole in the brackets I am making. It's a very cool and simple solution, I'll post pics.

Perfect.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
To add a little bit of info on that mod. Last night I stopped at my friends shop who has a lot of IS300s Turbo running in the street of Miami. At the shop were 2 IS300 turbos. They confirmed with me, that the stock IS300s' ignition is good for 450-500hp "SAFELY" and that with the HKS DLI or similar. THE SKY IS THE LIMIT :biglaugh:. there is a white IS300 that comes by the shop that is currently running +-720 RWHP with the stock Coil, stock plug wires and the HKS DLI. Off course its running the AEM EMS and is tuned by a Tuner Guru in miami(Lance from Toyomoto). Anyways I Thought I'd share that with you guys.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Kinda an FYI for you guys posting on club lexus and other forums....

go to www.car-part.com and search for your region. I just found a guy in Eugene that got all three with the plugs and the harness plugs for 80 bucks shipped to my door.

Most junk yards will ship stuff to you....

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
that site is alright, but im having no luck. found a place that sells them for $25 each, but they only had 2. one yard close to me has them for $75 each, wont budge on the price, another has all 3 for $75, but wont ship!

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Supracentral said:
You need to vent that coil cover. We've had coilpack overheating problems on the 2JZ's in the past when people were using those big bling billet covers that were not vented.

All of the ones sold these days are vented, and that's the reason for it.

I was thinking about running these on my 4A-GZE, and using a 4A-GE center cover, which is open on the one end (front of the engine), do you think it's important for it to be vented above both coils, or would it being vented at the front and rear be enough ventilation?

I just don't really want to modify the OEM center cover at all, but I don't know how much ventilation is required.

This is of course assuming the OEM cover will even fit over them, but I *think* it will.

EDIT: This is the cover: (The part with the plug wires going into it, is the opening I was referring to at the front).
p541972_1.jpg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
amazing. quality work, simple, AND cheap? i'm sold!

i'll be calling my local dealership this spring to get the parts to make this happen. :) 2quik, thanks for sharing!

-shaeff

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Jeff Lange said:
do you think it's important for it to be vented above both coils, or would it being vented at the front and rear be enough ventilation?

I've never determined out much is "enough".

The MKIV stuff usually has vents down both sides of the cover. Generally I follow the way Toyota designed something unless I can find a good reason not to.

If you look at the Titan Billet cover for the 2JZ below, you can see they duplicated the factory vents almost exactly.

The six red arrows show the vents.

titan-vents.jpg

Each one is about 1/4" x 5" and there are 6 of them.

That's about 7 1/2" in sq of vent. I'd try to duplicate that much vent area.