Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Also, for what it's worth, in case anyone wants new connectors for the coils, here are the part numbers:

90980-11246 - Plastic Connector Housing
82998-12440 - 160mm (6 inch) Wire Splice (2 required) or
82998-12590 - 500mm (20 inch) Wire Splice (2 required)

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Plug wires:
90919-15317 16.09
90919-15456 16.89
90919-15457 16.57
IS300 Coils:
90919-02216 123.77
7M coil wire harness
19518-42020 32.78

This is Toyota list prices. If anyone wants new stuff, I can get you ~20% off that for coils, 15% on wires, plus tax, and whatever actual shipping is, definately no more than $8 for flat rate box that will fit everything. Even wells brand at autozone coils are 90. For the quality, I'd buy Toyota. If you get it cheaper elsewhere, great....I'm not bent on making money on this deal, just sharing. Not so easy to find used, and since people have been asking, I put up some prices. If you want a harness made , I'll do it for $40+ $5 to ship it back. You can send me your stocker or I'll make it from a new one (listed above).

Last edited:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Jeff Lange said:
That's also with 6 coils, my engine will only have 2.

It's something I'll have to think about though I guess. I'm sure I'll figure something out.

I think the vents are to get the engine heat away from the coils. Not heat generated by the coils themselves.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Good point, I wasn't thinking.

In any case, I'll have to think about it I guess. As far as my 7M goes, I actually like the way it looks stock, so I never really cared to rearrange things.

On the 4A though, the DLI setup was only ever used in FWD arrangement, and the coils were mounted off the engine, so I'll either need to mount them in a somewhat ugly arrangement, or go with a COP setup like this.

I wonder if there's a good way to vent the cover without it looking like crap... hmm...

Anyways, thanks for the help.

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Hmm I was about to try and figure a way to relocate the coil packs and throttle bracket so I could run the NA valve covers. This is a much nicer solution, its great to see people's hardwork pay off. Nice job!

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Jeff Lange said:
I wonder if there's a good way to vent the cover without it looking like crap... hmm...

Computer case modders may be your friend here.

How about some of this hex mesh stuff:

hexmeshfull.jpg

* Hexagonal punched out pattern
* 79% open area for excellent airflow!
* 1/4 inch hexagons
* 0.032 inch bars between hexes
* 20 gauge steel
* 11.5" x 11.5" square
* Easily shaped and cut

Cut a hole in the cover, replace it with this stuff painted flat black and I think it would look pretty wicked and still be reasonably cheap and functional.

Stuff is $6.95 per 11.5" x 11.5" square.

http://www.crazypc.com/products/200.html

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Yeah, the main problem with that is that it wouldn't look OEM. I'm crazy, but I won't do anything to my AE86 unless it looks like it came that way from the factory. Way too much work into doing that so far to give up on the coils, haha. Thanks for the help though.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
I keep forgetting to bring my camera to work, but for the mounting tabs.....One coil sits on # 6 plug...I made an L- bracket that bolts into threaded hole on rear oil galley plug. The other two sit on top of #2&3 plugs with the bolt holes facing each other. Between #2&3 is another oil galley plug, but only the rear one is threaded. I'm taking the threaded one from a spare head and putting it in between 2&3. This high tech drawing should explain the rest. Clean & simple....just the way I likes.....verrrrry nice....much success!

p542267_1.jpg

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
The edges of the coils actually rest right on the edges of the plug already , so its solid and straight, bolting down doesn't tilt them any;)

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
tookwik4u89 said:
I keep forgetting to bring my camera to work, but for the mounting tabs.....One coil sits on # 6 plug...I made an L- bracket that bolts into threaded hole on rear oil galley plug. The other two sit on top of #2&3 plugs with the bolt holes facing each other. Between #2&3 is another oil galley plug, but only the rear one is threaded. I'm taking the threaded one from a spare head and putting it in between 2&3. This high tech drawing should explain the rest. Clean & simple....just the way I likes.....verrrrry nice....much success!

p542449_1.jpg

I see there is the rear galley plug w/ a hole in it, but it is not threaded on mine. Did you tap yours?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Looking into it further, it looks like these will probably fit under the OEM cover on the redtop 4A-GE, and thinking about it further, I think the 5E-FE (Tercel engine) coils might work as well, since they're probably about the right length for the bluetop 4A-GE.

Regardless, this thread has given me a lot to think about, and it's a great thread with good ideas. Thanks a lot for posting this up tookwik, it's given me some options for coil setups on my future 4A-GZE, which is good because that was one thing I was concerned about as far as the swap goes.

Thanks again.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
tookwik4u89 said:
OK fellas, I know not everyone cares about modifying things like this just for asthetics. If I had to pick a side, I would be with the function group rather than the form

That alone wins my stamp of approval. And I like the modification you came up with. I like how the car looks, but ignition service is a pain. Well done.

Jeff Lange said:
I'm crazy, but I won't do anything to my AE86 unless it looks like it came that way from the factory.

In any case, I'll have to think about it I guess. As far as my 7M goes, I actually like the way it looks stock, so I never really cared to rearrange things.

You are scoring some points too. ;)

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Nick M said:
That alone wins my stamp of approval. And I like the modification you came up with. I like how the car looks, but ignition service is a pain. Well done.
Thanks Nick! Everything thing is a breeze now.... tune ups, compression checks etc. can be done simply, and I can remove the entire turbo, head, everthing down to the block without even jacking the car up....all from the top. The bling has paid off in more ways than one.

I have one bling engine and my other Supra is staying completely stock(mostly)....I like both:)