Supercharger on a 7M

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
wiseco7mgt said:
my apologies, i just read your build thread and am in awe at the the work youve done and the money youve spent..you a pimp?

Grumpy old man pimping grumpy old ladies.... :rofl: :rofl:

You the man IJ..... :biglaugh:

Still working on the pictures for you.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
IJ. said:
Doward: Ummmm errrr most TwinCharged cars aren't compound, they switch it's either SuperCharged or TurboCharged with minimal overlap.
(I don't know of any petrol motors that use a compound setup for road use due to detonation issues)

Both twincharged systems I've built were compound.

And you can use pump gas on them, no problem. I've explained it in other threads, but not ALL compound systems make 60+ psi ;)

Run 4-5psi from your roots blower (which is where it is the most efficient anyway) coupled with a mid sized turbo running 6-8psi, and you'll have a normal, 15-16psi system with power everywhere.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Justin: I agree on the SC part I just don't get the logic of doing it as a compound setup, I'd still size the SC for 5 psi but have it out of the system once the BIG Turbo made 5psi. (You can run a nice loose freeflowing AR on the Turbine and have great Mid to top end with the SC covering the bottom end lag)

I'm curious to see what pipe routing Dow used in his systems as piping the SC through an IC isn't all that easy.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
IJ. said:
Not really seeing the logic in that approach with modern Turbo's Dow.

Got some pics of the 2 you built?

I'll check and see (I really doubt it, as the computer that used to have all of my fun projects died like 4 years ago)

Piping went as follows on the '98 Civic -

Air filter ---> Turbo ----> IC ----> Supercharger. It was a buddy of mine (Eric) and was my first real bit of fun. He was running a Jackson supercharger on a swapped B16. We rebuilt the B16 to run 8.2:1 CR, huffed a T3/T4 50 trim hybrid on there. Ran 6psi from the SC, and 6psi from the turbo, in 'street' mode (14psi) - when he ran C16 @ the track, we ran 6psi from the SC, and 12psi from the turbo. I think he ended up around 23psi from that setup. Only Honda I know of that actually had some low end torque :)

2nd one was a '95 Miata. Same routing. Last I heard, it got blown up due to Mike getting stupid with the MBC :3d_frown:

I never saw an undue increase in IATs, either, as long as you had the turbo doing most of the work. The SC gave it a quick kick in the ass at lower rpms, and spooled the turbo like lightning.

3rd is going to be an '05 Ion Redline ;) (wife's car)

That setup will be -

Filter---> Turbo (looking at a GT3071R) --- > Air/Air IC ----> Stock M62 ----> Stock air/water IC (upgrading to a dual pass endplate though)

Figuring on pushing about 18psi total.

Overall, is it worth it? Depends. Would I personally do it? Not unless the supercharger was already there.

Nothing quite beats it for cool factor, tho ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Damn sucks no pics :(

My first love was SC's ;)

I actually bought a YellaTerra one when I started modding the Supra but decided against it as I'd had to have lost the AC (not an option).

But I think it could be done mounting a blower down where the PwrSteer pump is and running an Electric pump.

Would be AirFilter>Y>SC/Turbo>Y>Diverter>IC>FFIM.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
You certainly could. I'd love to go supercharged on the 7m, but it'd require all new bracketry, in my case. Losing a/c and p/s are not options for me ;)

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
This is an interesting set-up, but totally impractical.

Can you imagine trying to get fuel/air right?

And there is gonna be timing issues, and all those extra moving parts (blower and turbo) generate alot of heat in a very crowded space.

Very complex. It looks to me like a vaaaaarrrrrry big challenge to get it to really run right and keep running right.

Hats off though for having the balls to try, and doing such a beautiful job on the fabrication.

I'll be interested to see how it works out.:icon_bigg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i know of one twincharged supra, but i'm pretty sure it's a secret, so i won't say who...

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
I want to see a video of this thing running, I'm sure it sounds ridiculously nice when it spools/winds up!! Thats a pretty crazy setup, looks very professional, nice job!

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
For the SC it seems... But I don't see anything on the turbo routed side. Between the IC and where the pipe comes up to the front of the intake manifold, where the TB would be conventionally.