Supercharger on a 7M

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I hope he ported that M-90. They aren't too efficient in stock form but with a good port and a small pulley they can do pretty decent. Do you know what pulley size he is running? Is it a modular setup from ZZP?

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
Sawbladz said:
I hope he ported that M-90. They aren't too efficient in stock form but with a good port and a small pulley they can do pretty decent. Do you know what pulley size he is running? Is it a modular setup from ZZP?

he did not port it. I don't know which GP he got it from. he said he went to the junkyard and there was a GP there. They wanted $50 for the SC so he just took it. He doesn't know what year it was.

He's just using the pulley that came stock on the SC.

jessetooslow

May 11, 2007
Tiverton, R.I.
thats pretty funny, I wanted to do something like that also, but I was gonna ditch the turbo, put on a NA supra exhaust and intake system and make custom brackets to put a vortech supercharger on.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
It looks exactly like the M90 on my 97 Grand Prix GTP. I'm not sure which S/C they used on the series 1 3.8's (pre 1997). If it did come from a series 2, the pulley will be a 3.8".

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
He will vent the cover, but he's working on a totally different valve cover right now. He's doing so you won't see anything on top at all, not even the oil filler cap. Just a nice one piece cover.

I'll try to get pictures when he takes it out. Just for you IJ.... :biglaugh:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Lots of misconceptions to twincharging here, so I'll try to clear up a couple things.

Twincharging (aka compound supercharging) works on a couple simple principles.

Super or turbo charger, they work the same - take X starting pressure, and compress it to Y boost pressure. Y/X = Pressure ratio. All compressors are most efficient at certain pressure ratios. Roots blowers (like the eaton) are most efficient at low pressure ratios (say, up to 1.5pr)

Ok, so have that supercharger feeding your NA motor. 1.5Pr * 14.7psi (1 atm) - 14.7 (the outside pressure) = 7.35psi of boost.

Now, let's have a turbo feeding that supercharger. Also at 1.5pr. Now, the turbo is the one actually seeing the outside pressure (inlet pressure), so the turbo is actually producing 7.35psi of boost. That pressurized air is sent to the supercharger. Now what does the supercharger see?

The supercharger sees an absolute inlet pressure of 22.05psi. 22.05 * 1.05 = 33.075 absolute pressure. Aka 18.375psi of pressure in the intake manifold.

(this is just the explanation. If you want to know total boost in the system, just multiply the pressure ratios of each charger)

Now, that was basically 7psi from the turbo, and 7psi from the blower. Makes about 18.4psi total.

The downside, is the Eaton supercharger will work MUCH harder to flow in these denser atmospheres. You are best to run 5-6psi from the supercharger, and use a higher pressure ratio on the on the turbo.

The scary thing is, what if you run say... 20psi (2.36pr) from the turbo - and 7 psi on the supercharger (1.48pr). 51.3psi of manifold pressure. And it is EASILY done.

Why do you think I'm all happy about twincharging the wife's Ion? :naughty:

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
I can imagine the heat packed with that. Even if the air from the turbo is cooled down it will be heated back up when it hits the SC. One thing I notice a few people who drove TRD supercharger on their solara ran Methol to over come that. Specially when that SC is packed so tight where not allot of air can get to it..

Other then that SUBSCRBINE TO SEE MORE AHHHHHH.. F THE PANTIES, I GOT TO GO FIX MY EGO TO HANDLE MORE OF THIS AHHHHHH.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
7Mboost said:
Dam that is pretty wicked, a lot of work and fabrication in this, twin charging an mk3, first one right? Can't wait to see some results and video would be orgasmic :)

Not the first one. Another guy has been doing a custom set-up like this a long time (a co-worker has his email but the guy doesn't want to mention or tell any details about it as I was told.)

It is indeed very cool though! I would love to see a video of this thing running!. :icon_bigg

Duane

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
hmmm interesting question................when hes done or has it off could you possibly take as many pics as possible and pm them to me also any plans or adapters to fit the charger would be awesome if you could. please I have a buddy that just blew his motor with a 1998 GTP and hes lookin to get rid of parts very cheaply so i would like to know so i can pick it up and run a s/c 7m

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Doward: Ummmm errrr most TwinCharged cars aren't compound, they switch it's either SuperCharged or TurboCharged with minimal overlap.
(I don't know of any petrol motors that use a compound setup for road use due to detonation issues)