Supercharger on a 7M

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Superchargers are a parasitic draw on the engine when engaged, so if you're not going to be pushing the car, it's better to have it off. It takes horsepower to turn the supercharger, but in turn the supercharger will give you boost to make up that horsepower plus some. For efficiency sake, they can have a clutch on the supercharger pulley so it's not on all the time. The MR2 Super had the same sort of setup on the 4AGZE, even came with a little supercharger indicator light inside the speedo gauge to tell you when it was working :)

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Does it engage at WOT? Toggle switch?
Another question I"ve always wanted to know. Let's say you're cruising on the highway and your RPM's are around 2500... would that roots type charger be in boost? Same for a centrifugal, since they're both belt driven and all.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Most modern Blowers use a bypass valve so they're not compressing at cruise.

prog178.jpg

supranz

May 23, 2010
Christchurch
This is blasphemy, this is madness! No, THIS IS SUPRA!
But in all seriousness, jesus christ that is an impressive feat of engineering.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
NashMan;1784842 said:
that is the most oddest setup I have ever scene ever

But you have to give it mad props right! Just to even get it to work out right and with them not fighting each other is something all itself.......I do agree with you it is an odd setup but just to make it work together is crazy..

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
^ not sure how well it works yet, all I see is a red car with hole in the hood that not really driven on the street

idling get's ya no ware

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I've had some experience with turbos and even studied the way they work and how to properly size a turbo for your specific application and power goals. Our race MKI MR2 with a 4agze converted to 4agte was producing around 220whp+, with full boost (about 10-13psi at the time) on at 3000rpm (useable boost/power at 2000-2500rpm) with a very strong mid and top end, no boost drop off all the way to 7500rpm. This was due to properly calculating and matching of the turbo to the engine/power goals. The turbo we used is a TD04-13T from a stock Impreza WRX, for those who were wondering... Perfect match for the 1.6 4agze. Huge, useable power band, and perfectly streetable. IMO/experience, useable power is better than overall peak power. Our calculations also show this setup is capable of providing 25psi from 3000 to 7500rpm. So we have a lot more room to go yet... ;)

I didn't read through this whole thread, and I don't know the power goals of this project. But I will say that that turbo is WAY over-kill and a properly setup sequential twin turbo system or even a properly sized single turbo system would work better than adding an SC along side a massive snail like that for attempting to gain some useable low-mid power.

I tip my hat to the fabrication, work and time involved in this project, however. Props for being "different", that's for sure... :)