My restoration project - Rusty 89

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Some teaser pics...sandblasting is time consuming and a pain in the ass, but parts come out beautifully.

I'm currently waiting for sound deadening to get here - I cleaned the cabin and removed all original sound deadening under the front seats. I was surprised how many holes there are in the floor pan sheet metal from the factory, just filled with black RTV.

*for those who re-finished the rear hubs (buckshotglass, I'm looking at you), did you shield the bearings when sandblasting/sanding, or just install new bearings when everything is said and done?

As you can see in the last picture, the rear trailing arms were bent quite nicely - I'm curious as to how long the new ones will last before I have to make a new set.

Finally, my homemade mk4 upper to mk3 lower intake manifold adapter is about 1/2 finished machining - milling is finished, and now it is time to hand-finish. Will post pics when complete.
p643254_1.jpg

p643254_2.jpg

p643254_3.jpg

p643254_4.jpg

Last edited:

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
had a close call today...started poking around the spray-in sound deadening and found a poorly adhered area....upon further scraping....shit. rust.
p657358_1.jpg

so, it had to be sandblasted
p657358_2.jpg

and sealed
p657358_3.jpg

tough to make progress when you have to clean shit like this up.

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
adampecush said:
*for those who re-finished the rear hubs (buckshotglass, I'm looking at you), did you shield the bearings when sandblasting/sanding, or just install new bearings when everything is said and done?

I put a clean rag in each side, and tried to tape them in there. I cleaned the spindles by hand, (with a wire brush on a drill,) to avoid the chance of getting blast media in there. I repacked after, and I am hoping for the best.:)
I'm putting them together today... maybe I should start a build thread instead of using yours.;)

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
adam, your car is coming along nicely. Take care of all the little details and forget about how long it takes. Would you rather put the car back together...then find the rust spot???? Good thing you found it now. Keep the pics coming!!!!

BSG - Wanna sell your rear spindles??? :biglaugh:

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
MDCmotorsports said:
Adam, with any blasting media you'll want to either put new bearings in after blasting, or if possible take the old bearings apart - clean and then repack them.

Yeah, i've decided not to take any chances and I just ended up ordering a new rear bearing set...for $200, it would be dumb not to.

edit: I'm also pumped about the re-built R154...she's going in midweek for service.

Marcenator

Marc T.
Apr 29, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Your work is amazing! I am impressed. My car unfortunatley is showing some small signs of rust which means there is much more than the eye can see. I wish I could be as dedicated to repairing it as you are, but I love to drive it too much to take it off the road lol. I hope you will have it on the road this summer and bring her out to a few Supraclub meets here in Edmonton. Nice job!!!

Marc

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
adampecush said:
tough to make progress when you have to clean shit like this up.

the way i look at it... that is progress, one more step to a rust free supra
awesome work man, wish i had time to do that to my baby

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Marcenator said:
Your work is amazing! I am impressed. My car unfortunatley is showing some small signs of rust which means there is much more than the eye can see. I wish I could be as dedicated to repairing it as you are, but I love to drive it too much to take it off the road lol. I hope you will have it on the road this summer and bring her out to a few Supraclub meets here in Edmonton. Nice job!!!

Marc

We're hoping to get the car together late summer - but that might be a tad optimistic. The worst case scenario goal is SILV.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
update:

sound deadening complete in the cabin - nearly finished in the hatch area. I've finally started to put some stuff back into the car - Thank god for taking lots of pictures when disassembling...
p668647_1.jpg

p668647_2.jpg

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I went with elemental designs edead V1^2 - its a butyl base, 45 mil thick. I did a double layer on the floor and I am doing a triple layer in the hatch area. The stuff is fantastic to work with too.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
Its nice to see a supra in not so good conditon go threw a restoration insted of going to the junk yard. You have a very nice build good luck can't wait to see the finished product

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
its been a long time...but I've made some progress...
hvac system (a bitch to clean) and replacement carpet install (it made cleaning the hvac system look like a walk in the park)
p707443_1.jpg

re-built transmission
p707443_2.jpg

the mail man keeps bringing me all these parts....guess i'll have to put them on the car
p707443_3.jpg

p707443_4.jpg

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
wow this is a great build. Soooo happy to see this car get some attention and not headed for the scrap yard. I have one that isnt even that bad that im thinking about scrapping. Was yours bad enough that practically every bolt you pull off of it, it breaks? Mine is a parts car of sorts and everytime I go to unbolt something I end up with a broken bolt.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
HOLY CRAP! Great thread!

You Canadian dudes really blow me away...

(Thanks for the great pictoral progress... nice to look at, and very inspiring!)

-crisp