My restoration project - Rusty 89

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
First order of business: subframes.
assembling the front and rears right now

in retrospect, not removing the 32mm axle bolts while the car was together was a mistake. Not sure how I'm gonna secure the half shaft to break 207lb-ft + 18 years of corrosion.

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
adampecush said:
in retrospect, not removing the 32mm axle bolts while the car was together was a mistake. Not sure how I'm gonna secure the half shaft to break 207lb-ft + 18 years of corrosion.

I bet the nut comes off no problem, but getting the axle out on one side of my car needed an unreal amount of force (puller/ slidehammer,) while the other just slid right out. All of mine were off the car, before I tool the axles out.
I gotta put the rear back together soon.

good luck.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
buckshotglass said:
I bet the nut comes off no problem, but getting the axle out on one side of my car needed an unreal amount of force (puller/ slidehammer,) while the other just slid right out. All of mine were off the car, before I tool the axles out.
I gotta put the rear back together soon.

good luck.

i tried the impact wrench on it for a little while and got absolutely nowhere. I think I might have to fab up a steel plate to bolt the diff side of the axle to and go about it that way.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
HellsLegion said:
Adam, Just a question, My buddy's Mustang(fox body) has rust awfly simmilar to yours on the drivers side floor panel.

How did you go about fixing it?

I spent 4 hours with my parts car and an angle grinder and cut out the entire floor pan. My body guy took care of the rest.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
buckshotglass said:
bolt an old spare wheel onto it, and strap that baby down.
Then you need a giant cheater bar.
Wait till you try to get the hubs out, after the axles are out. Twice the fun. (slide hammer)
I'm painting my spindles as we speak.

i like that idea...hopefully that is all I will need.

edit: so you are saying that toyota's reccomended plastic hammer won't cut it to remove the driveshafts? lol

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
a few pictures from today:
re-finished front subframe w/new lower control arms
p616495_1.jpg

more control arm
p616495_2.jpg

mk4 rear vs mk3 rear brakes
p616495_3.jpg

the new parts room (unimpressive, yes...many parts are boxed)
p616495_4.jpg

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
temp install of old subframes to get the car home. Pretty much just whoring these pics as I haven't really done much to the car so far. Big progress should start soon.
p628881_1.jpg

new springs/shocks
p628881_2.jpg

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Good to see you back, Adam. I can't wait to see your car take shape. I'm going to be living vicariously through you since I can't finish mine unless I win the lottery. :p

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
update: the car is sitting in my garage right now, and after some pressure washing, on go the brake and fuel lines, as well as a crap-load of wiring. Hopefully i took enough pictures when disassembling the car to know where everything goes...you forget a lot in one year.