Losing Interest

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
i must say i agree with everyone dont sell ur supra i was dumb VERY DUMB stripped the entier car donw sold every part and called a junk yard to come take the rest away for like $50 now that i know a bunch of people with mk3s around my area of town i love them can work my way around them with out a problem while its foreign to a lot of people hwo dont udnerstand them im waiting to get a better paying job which at the age of 17 isnt easy and getting this one a buddy ahs laying around and stripping it down and completly redoing everything and never getting rid of it till the day i die SUPRAS FTMFW

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Honestly what I would do is buy both subframes with everything attached, rebuild em with poly bushings and install em.

After seeing the failures with nylon bushings, I couldn't use em...

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
I have an '02 Lexus, I have an '07 Tundra, I have a '92 Previa Van w/ 335,000
miles on it, then I have my Supra. The Supra sat for 5 years in a shop with
a built engine slowly being paid for while I paid for my son's college. I dreamed about driving it again a lot, now it's back. Now it's back in the shop
being tuned and I'm planing the next series of upgrades. I think that once you
have owned one they are always in your blood. Please be patient with yourself, this is probably just a mental phase you're going through! DO NOT SELL YOUR SUPRA. I know I could not imagine not having mine, I would miss
the constant "intrigue" that it provides, and I probably would not be here on
this great forum typing this opinion on a Sunday!

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
Boosted Supra;1117043 said:
I've driven a 700rwhp MKIV (felt good but nah) but for some reason I love the MK3 body, so purchasing a MKIV is highly unlikely.

My other DD is a 2004 Nissan Altima, it does it's job. I guess I feel that I want an E46 M3 is because I drove my cousin's one. It's fast, comfortable and very smooth but not as rough as my old sqeaky MK3.

Yo Ant, I will tune with you guys whenever the day is set, maybe then I'll enjoy the car. I drove my car at 14psi making like 375rwhp, man that shit was slow.

My goal this summer was to race my cousin S'charged Viper and his Lambo Murcielago, never got a chance because this stupid car isn't tuned.

I'm running AEM EMS hopefully to break my current record on VPC/AFC

You could remedy that by just going to get a dyno tune. The only thing stopping you from getting tuned is you. No excuses let's try to be tuned by next weekend!

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Boosted Supra;1117885 said:

If you think this car is fast you desperately need a tune. My car has no more than $3k into it and it felt like it could keep up with or pass an M3. Also, keep in mind theres roughly DICK you can do to an M3 to get power out of it efficiently. M3s are so awesome because they are pretty much topped out from the factory; also they dont exactly sound "good" with an exhaust.

With a car like a MkIII, as you are well aware, theres not much of a limit to what you can do with it. With the M3, you can make it look pretty...and little else, plus BMWs are incredibly expensive by comparison to own and do anything to. Dont get me wrong, theres a reason my avatar has a roundel in it, I just think the MkIII is more of a pinnacle of a car than people give it credit for.

Btw I worked as a tech @ BMW for two years.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I've been able to keep up M3's in my car with my mods...

Not to mention some of the nasty failures they have. Supra is much better built in comparison...

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Poodles;1118302 said:
I've been able to keep up M3's in my car with my mods...

Not to mention some of the nasty failures they have. Supra is much better built in comparison...

The block is basically a bored out 7M. Proof that two similar engines can have two completely different sounds and powerbands is cemented in the heads. Dual VANOS is nice (variable cam timing on both) and having a chain instead of a belt is cool for maintenance, but its also an interference design and prone to catastrophic failure from over revving. They also had a recall very early about shitty rod bearings. This is good because BMW (I'm told by the parts guys, who I also worked with over those two years) gives a life time warranty on parts they sell--though not brakes and such lol:icon_razz. In other words, parts were free IIRC

Pics of missing a shift...apparently you're supposed to shift UP when you hit redline, not down.
p1118314_1.jpg

p1118314_2.jpg

p1118314_3.jpg

p1118314_4.jpg

Piston:
p1118314_5.jpg

A shard of something (piston?) was found in the ECU btw..it was so bad that the engine harness had to be replaced

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Rear strut mounts, self destructing waterpumps, cracked t-stat housing, ect ect ect...

BMW's are sweet rides, but damn I'll take a stock supra, fix the HG properly and never have an issue that could potentially injure me...

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Poodles;1118324 said:
Rear strut mounts, self destructing waterpumps, cracked t-stat housing, ect ect ect...

BMW's are sweet rides, but damn I'll take a stock supra, fix the HG properly and never have an issue that could potentially injure me...

Thermostat and water pump are insanely easy...both could be done in 10 minutes if you wanted. It is annoying that it has to be done though; plus the engine driven fan is tricky to take off. Single 32mm (or was it 36?) nut threaded onto the water pump pulley IIRC. One thing I'd feel very much inclined to do is convert it to e-fan. They come with a good sized one for backup, but I dont know about making it run full time. The 06+s all come with e-fans only as well.

Not sure about the rear strut mounts, but even though the stock STB is pretty reinforced, I've seen one or two broken ones. I'm fairly certain its because of a collision of some sort though.

There are plenty of other nifty things about them stock that are awesome; rear mounted battery, DOT4 brake fluid, etc.

mk3

Apr 11, 2008
Australia
at least most of you get to drive your pride and joy....mines not regoed/uncompled and getting rebuilt for the last 2 and a bit years :(

i look at the $9000 worth of parts sitting next to me and it saddens me every day knowing that i still need more parts just to finish the shit heap :(

not to mention i have a gf that wont shut the fuck up about how all my money go's into my car and im allways broke because of it.

*sigh*

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
mk3;1118537 said:
at least most of you get to drive your pride and joy....mines not regoed/uncompled and getting rebuilt for the last 2 and a bit years :(

i look at the $9000 worth of parts sitting next to me and it saddens me every day knowing that i still need more parts just to finish the shit heap :(

not to mention i have a gf that wont shut the fuck up about how all my money go's into my car and im allways broke because of it.

*sigh*

Jeez ,imagine how much more shed be up you if you were married..:naughty:

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
wiseco7mgt;1118693 said:
Jeez ,imagine how much more shed be up you if you were married..:naughty:

Actually, I've found that the wife gave up bitching about the car after a few years and settled into a kind of quiet resignation (ocasionally muttering under her breath). Works for me.:icon_razz

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
suprabad;1118703 said:
Actually, I've found that the wife gave up bitching about the car after a few years and settled into a kind of quiet resignation (ocasionally muttering under her breath). Works for me.:icon_razz

rofl!

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
IJ.;1118545 said:
Time for a new GF then ;)

Upgrade to v1.2.

I have the no girlfriend mod 1.0 and its working pretty sweet.

Manny, if its your nylon bushings giving you a headache buy some energy suspension poly bushes the whole kit is like $160

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Down but not out;1118714 said:
I have the no girlfriend mod 1.0 and its working pretty sweet.

Manny, if its your nylon bushings giving you a headache buy some energy suspension poly bushes the whole kit is like $160

I have the same policy in place at the moment and am looking closely at my hiring criteria ;)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
IJ's HIRING CRITERIA

1. Must know the Motec inside out and backwards.
2. Must be able to hold camera steady while doing 4g's.
3. Must be very very flexible.
4. Must be able to suck a golfball through a garden hose.
5. Must not repeat the phrase "It's an exit only"
6. Must know how to detail a car immaculately.
7. Must be open to girl on girl action.
8. Bigger is not always better..........ooops sorry that one is one of mine.

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
Boosted Supra;1117886 said:
You are correct, I cannot picture anyone else driving my car. Maybe I still have interest, but I'll have even more if you give me your wheels :naughty:

Keep the car, get it tuned and get a new set of wheels while your at it. It will help make the car new to you again.