Losing Interest

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i have 4 cars right now D= ... =) always something to do with 4 cars... (and a scooter)

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I starting to think about when I should sell my Supra. When I bought it I thought I'd keep it forever but now I'm not so sure. I know what I want when I get enough money, but I'm not sure if there's a better interim car. I'm considering a used Porsche Boxster, but more likely I'll end up with a WRX (if I get my way it'll be both). I know I want to keep my Supra at least for this year's SILV. It's a huge money pit right now when I want to be saving for other things.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
WRX's are nice DD's especially if you arn't going to crazy with them.. but it's great to have something a little more grown up.. more baller..

Love your GS Rodel!:love:

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
If the car didn't squeek, have rattles, and the a/c worked...you'd probably want to keep it.

When I got my supra I did what I had read many times on this forum...fixed/repaired/rebuilt/replaced anything that wasn't right before I even thought about performance mods, this included fixing the squeeks, rattles, etc. and rebuilding the a/c.

I think this is where a lot of guys set themselves up for frustration down the road. They spend 4k on wheels and tires and drop a ton on performance upgrades, then get frustrated and wish they had a newer car because they never took care of all the stuff that makes a car driveable.

Who can live with a car that sounds like it's coming apart over every bump, leaks wind, water, has no a/c and is generally unpleasent to drive...no matter how it looks and/or how fast it is?

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
If you don't like your car, fix it or get rid of it. It's not like you're the first guy to want something else. I have my days I hate it my days I love it just all depends, but I'll probably keep it for a while longer, when It breaks I drive my DD.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Suprabad's above comment is right on, I may not be 500hp but my cars in generally good shape and has a few go fast fun mods too.

Ohhhh and if you're thinking of an E46 why did you get a mk3 in the first place, quite a bit of price diff there, just some relaism for ya to ponder..........

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Wills7MGTE;1117161 said:
Suprabad's above comment is right on, I may not be 500hp but my cars in generally good shape and has a few go fast fun mods too.

Ohhhh and if you're thinking of an E46 why did you get a mk3 in the first place, quite a bit of price diff there, just some relaism for ya to ponder..........

Okay simple fact bud.

Most of us on here don't own MK3 Supras because they're "cheap", a;lso Manny (Like I) is a long term MK3 Supra owner and i do like the body and interior. Also, I can afford a E46 M3 and may buy one when i transfer as a gift to myself. But, i may just buy a brand new Corolla. ;)

Manny is a great dude and i'm sure he's done all in his power to do all the "repairs" both of you are talking about. His bushings and most components are new if i remember right.

I'm pretty sure he could piece together the AC back together if he wanted to.

What won't change is that the body is coming of age and his car is also a targa which makes it even worse. (Also throw the power into the equation somethings gotta give.)

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Didn't this turn out to be a depressing thread! :cry: Im going to drive my supra like i stole it and when i come back ill be in love with it all over again.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
suprabad;1116848 said:
...and when James Bond fucks my girlfriend I feel bad too, but how often does that happen?

I don't know about your girlfriend really, you have to straighten it out for yourself, but i see an Aston martin almost every day. It's LA. there are couple of Lotuses parked on the street every night and a Bentley once in a while. A Ferrari on melrose is like a chocolate bar on Hershey factory, not really a dig deal.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Pernilongo;1117233 said:
...i see an Aston martin almost every day. It's LA. ...Lotuses parked on the street every night and a Bentley once in a while. A Ferrari on melrose is like a chocolate bar on Hershey factory, not really a dig deal.

How many things are there which I do not want. ~Socrates

Who is rich? He who rejoices in his portion. ~The Talmud

Jealousy is the soil in which self loathing grows. ~M.J. Burrows

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i just ran into a supra owner who felt the same way.he bailed and pretty much gave me his car.he had a ton of money spent on it and i felt real guilty buying it.my jaw hit the floor when he told me how much.he just had enough and wanted to get out fast.i hope this day never come's for me with all the sweat and tear's building it.i just try to stay positive about it and take a break from it.

csr ma71

rooftop sniper
Apr 2, 2005
bay area
www.angelfire.com
Zumtizzle;1116923 said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I bet you drive a NA supra on 20's and go to sideshows bumpin' The Pack. See Post 29 and compare your supra to his.

Pete: haha, didn't know. :D

I've never been to the sideshows but I know when I go to the Taco Trucks in my Hyundai Elantra bumping Tiffany, I get mad respect.

SuprA70

SF.com 'Grounded' Champ
Ask yourself this:

Can you see someone else owning, driving, and being responsible for your Supra?

If you can do that 100% without any sort of remorse or regret, then that's a sign that you have lost interest.

If not,then :evil2:

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Zumtizzle;1116904 said:
Exterior10.jpg

[thumb]http://members.aol.com/boostedsupramk3/Exterior/Exterior7.jpg[/thumb]

[thumb]http://members.aol.com/boostedsupramk3/Engine/Engine3.JPG[/thumb]

Ummm Dude, Manny is a couple steps ahead of you. :love:

That would be Dude-ette to you.

Ok, so there are more issues here than can be addressed by this thread :icon_razz

csr ma71;1116910 said:
I don't know about you, but I'm turning heads when I step outside, turning heads when I'm in my ride, I make those girls look twice, because they see my money right.

I try not to make the girls look twice. Like to make the guys look once as I pass 'em. :naughty:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Fix the A/C, get it tuned, and track down the squeeks.

With everything you have into it and never having it to it's top form, it's no wonder you're losing interest...

I'll trade yah so you can start over :D

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
There's more maintenance on a older supra thats for sure. But the Lexus reminds me of a Cadillac Cimeron personally. I rode in my friends brand spankin' new porsche boxter last week and it handles very nice around the corners. But there's something about a '90's car that has been maintained properly. The steel is thicker, the frame is more solid and there aren't many others driving a '90 model car in excellent condition.

Had a friend with a BMW 2 seater, new, couldn't turn the traction control off. Looked nice but wasn't all that. Take the tires for instance. Each tire has a tire pressure warning on the dashboard. Had to take it in for service a few times on that in the first year. There was some other problem as well. The cost of the tires was enough and they don't last very long.

It isn't for everyone. If I couldn't have my supra I would go for a 280z or zx turbo...Just love that late 80 to 90 body design.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Haven't driven mine in about a year too it feels like. I still couldn't get rid of it though, I just keep mine in a garage till I feel I have time to enjoy it again;) And like everyone else, I'm driving a lex now for a little more comfort.

Get the BMW
Keep the Supra

Boosted Supra

AEM 7MGTE 6765
Apr 7, 2005
Valley Stream, New York, United States
suprabad;1117157 said:
If the car didn't squeek, have rattles, and the a/c worked...you'd probably want to keep it.

When I got my supra I did what I had read many times on this forum...fixed/repaired/rebuilt/replaced anything that wasn't right before I even thought about performance mods, this included fixing the squeeks, rattles, etc. and rebuilding the a/c.

I think this is where a lot of guys set themselves up for frustration down the road. They spend 4k on wheels and tires and drop a ton on performance upgrades, then get frustrated and wish they had a newer car because they never took care of all the stuff that makes a car driveable.

Who can live with a car that sounds like it's coming apart over every bump, leaks wind, water, has no a/c and is generally unpleasent to drive...no matter how it looks and/or how fast it is?

Actually my car only squeaks because I have nylon bushings installed, other than that it's fine.

Wills7MGTE;1117158 said:
If you don't like your car, fix it or get rid of it. It's not like you're the first guy to want something else. I have my days I hate it my days I love it just all depends, but I'll probably keep it for a while longer, when It breaks I drive my DD.

You want to buy me some Poly Bushings?

Wills7MGTE;1117161 said:

Let's see, the E46 didn't come out in the year 2000, plus the Supra has been my dream car. Whenever a new sports car comes out, don't you wish you had it? Let me guess are you are hoping to purchase an MKIV in the future right? Everyone wants something new, it's in our nature.

Boosted Supra

AEM 7MGTE 6765
Apr 7, 2005
Valley Stream, New York, United States
SuprA70;1117441 said:
Ask yourself this:

Can you see someone else owning, driving, and being responsible for your Supra?

If you can do that 100% without any sort of remorse or regret, then that's a sign that you have lost interest.

If not,then :evil2:

You are correct, I cannot picture anyone else driving my car. Maybe I still have interest, but I'll have even more if you give me your wheels :naughty: