I just hit 30psi today!! on my 60-1

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
E85 would be silly... if your car takes 100%... with E85 your car would now need 150%... which is why you can make more power. but it takes more fuel to maintain the AFR.

if you wanna go for that 'ultimate' power from your car go grab some race gas and use the right stuff.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Bigdough666;1105525 said:
Ive seen people mention that the upgraded CT falls on its face after 16-20psi and is just blowing hot air, but I feel like its just gettin the party started there.
It does fall on it's face. You won't notice it unless you've driven a non-CT turbo. My Turbonetics doesn't just pull hard to redline - the acceleration literally keeps increasing until I hit the rev limiter. When I first put it on, I was so used to the old CT setup that I couldn't shift fast enough to avoid the rev limiter.

However, when I was still driving the old CT setup, I thought it was pulling hard all the way to redline too.

PS: There is no such animal when it comes to safe boost settings. Two things commonly kill engines (well, three, including drivers) - detonation and lean mixtures burning holes in things. The latter you can keep an eye on with a wideband and EGT gauge. The former needs a set of electric ears, a dyno, and a professional who knows what he's doing tuning.

Taking someone's word on how many PSI you can put through your engine is like asking your kid sister's first boyfriend for advice on knitting clothes for housepets that live on a different continent.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
GrimJack;1105693 said:
Taking someone's word on how many PSI you can put through your engine is like asking your kid sister's first boyfriend for advice on knitting clothes for housepets that live on a different continent.

Haha, the shit I read on this forum...

I wouldn't get NEAR 30psi without a dyno. That car had to have been knocking at best.

Honestly, I ask for advice from members all the time, but take each for what it is - often opinions, sometimes experience, and usually logical (i.e. "I wouldn't use an HKS FCD and unplug your wastegate actuator pressure line - prob won't last too long" - DUH!). Your car is different from everyone else's car. Nobody knows what will and won't work with your particular car. For all we know, your motor could be solid and take 30psi for 20k miles, but realistically, it won't. You can get away with it with your setup, but it's plain unreliable to even go past 20psi. Especially on composite HG.

Congrats on hitting that much boost, but frankly, it's not exactly a good thing.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Rennat;1105682 said:
E85 would be silly... if your car takes 100%... with E85 your car would now need 150%... which is why you can make more power. but it takes more fuel to maintain the AFR.

if you wanna go for that 'ultimate' power from your car go grab some race gas and use the right stuff.

I wouldn't really call it silly, 105 octane at ~ 50% the price of gasoline...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Another deciding factor is how "safe" it will be is the timing curve in the ecu, I know with my car at 22psi on 93 I have to pull huge amounts of timing and this in turn hurts the power output.

If he's using the stock ECU he's stuck with whatever Toyota thought was a good thing + whatever alphabet piggybacks can fool it into supplying.

Hardly a good combination from a tuning perspective when running on the ragged edge.

I surprised he actually got away with 30 even the once, must have got out of the throttle right away or the car wasn't heavily loaded.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
what hes saying suprad is that the gauge could be reading wrong where he thinks he boosted 30psi and really didnt.

i could see the gauge being off the autometer in my omni when the key is off sits right at about 1psi ive often wondered if its off or not.

Last edited:

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
As supaman said. i'm stating that he may never have hit 30psi and it was gauge error. If a gauge is underdamped, it can lead to this. A boost gauge for example has low damping so that it can read real-time boost levels, accurately. A gas gauge, for example, has a low time constant. This is why it takes time to peak when you fill up. If it weren't damped well, it would bounce on bumps, rises, and turns. (yes, I know someone will say it - I, too, see my gas gauge fluctuate during spirited driving).

anyway, \rant.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
No Tune, No Life.

See you in Chicago in 5 days, Nate.
Park the car until the day before, We don't want you messing anything else up now. ;)

.....Prepare to have your ass handed to you in the desert next month.

:biglaugh:

I, too, will chime in.
As bad as everything sounds thus far, Nate (The OP)'s motor really is in amazing condition.
It WAS unintentional...and he is EXTREMELY lucky the car is still kicking strong,
but that certainly was a rude awakening for his 7M.

Now lets see if he can walk away with a High HP Trophy in the MKIII Class at Chi2k8.
:)

Jeff

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
GrimJack;1105693 said:
It does fall on it's face. You won't notice it unless you've driven a non-CT turbo. My Turbonetics doesn't just pull hard to redline - the acceleration literally keeps increasing until I hit the rev limiter. When I first put it on, I was so used to the old CT setup that I couldn't shift fast enough to avoid the rev limiter.

However, when I was still driving the old CT setup, I thought it was pulling hard all the way to redline too.

PS: There is no such animal when it comes to safe boost settings. Two things commonly kill engines (well, three, including drivers) - detonation and lean mixtures burning holes in things. The latter you can keep an eye on with a wideband and EGT gauge. The former needs a set of electric ears, a dyno, and a professional who knows what he's doing tuning.

Never driven one but have been in a couple. My CT seems to pull just as hard, maybe Ive got a freak. Been going strong for over 5 years when people say they die after 1-2, so maybe. I wish I could rev the engine higher to see if it keeps pulling.

Im sure a "real" (since people always say to get rid of my CT and get a "real" turbo) turbo does pull harder, Im just used to my good ol CT. :biglaugh:

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Rennat;1106451 said:
oh god.... please no F&F lines...

Boy, if you knew me, you'd know it's all for the laugh.

On the contrary, you did recognize the line,
so it's equally shameful that you caught it. ;)

Jeff

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Boost Lee;1106600 said:
Boy, if you knew me, you'd know it's all for the laugh.

On the contrary, you did recognize the line,
so it's equally shameful that you caught it. ;)

Jeff

i just recognize it cause i was reading about joe dono, and everybody kept making F&F remarks, and i just remember how they had those awesome 'race wars'... lol

and im sure it all is for the laugh. whtich makes it pretty funny.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
how dare all you u.s guys have all the fun, hope you all blow up on the dyno...lmao (lucky bastards id kill for a supra meet)

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
the boost gauge is acurate, and no the motor didn't knock when it hit 30psi... and yes jeff that would be sweeeeet to get the high HP trophy!! woot. im still playing around with the waste gate trying to get it shimmed just right, first time went to much, second time to low agian, third time alittle to much. going for a 4th try today... and no there is no FCD in my car. i got it BONE STOCK from an older couple that garage kept it and like never drove it. only thing done to it where new wheels and tires.

I know the secret to my car not hitting fuel cut, i think theres like 2 or 3 other people that know as well.