I just hit 30psi today!! on my 60-1

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i read where you said that IJ... but, he also cranked down the MBC... and if you understand how a MBC works, then he should have logically backed it off until he test drove it.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
ok first off i have ARP STUDS torqued to 83lbs. so its pretty solid. the car has very low miles on it, and nearly everything has been replaced since i bought it. the car is in great shape and im it sure can handle a decent amount of power.

second of all it wasn't intentional. i now have the MBC turned down and im running about 20psi, but then it creeps back down to about 15 psi :(... not sure why its losing boost agian...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
wiseco7mgt;1105341 said:
yeah itd be safe if you get the car tuned first..if not itd be safer sleeping with a prostitute unprotected in Thailand.

Been there, done that...........I still itch from time to time.

OP, get your car tuned by a reputable person to a safe boost level and then drive the piss out of it.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
SideWinderGX;1104996 said:
Oh my god, I spelled that wrong. That's ironic...my bad.

Aaaaallll riiighhtt....constructive.

93 octane is only good for around 16 psi anyways. Any more than that, you'll start detonating and very annoying things will happen.

A little on the inaccurate side.

There is actually a person that's already posted in this same thread who is using 93 octane and is running around 22 psi max, sometimes 24 on the dyno. At 22 there is no spark blowout, no detonation.

It depends on the tune, alone with several other things, such as the type of turbo being used. Turbo a can flow 500 cfms at 15 psi where turbo b will only flow 385 cfm at the same boost level. More air, leaner mixture. Leaner mixture, risk of detonation.

And that's only one factor that can lead to detonation. There are several others.

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
i have been running 23psi of boost on 98 octane gas, would that be safe? i was planing to raise boost to 26psi cause everything looks normal. i keep my air fuel ratios of 10.5, it feels a little slower than keeping it to 11.5 or 12.1 but i just feel safer, would that be correct?

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
Ive seen mine spike to ~25 for a sec or so, it pulls soo nice. I used to run 20psi on 93 octane all the time, for about 2 years, still running strong, on my ARP headBOLTS. Ive seen people mention that the upgraded CT falls on its face after 16-20psi and is just blowing hot air, but I feel like its just gettin the party started there. My turbo spools quick as hell, hits 20psi and sticks there until I let off. Id run more boost but my MBC is maxed out. When I install my Greddy Profec-B, Im turning the boost up to 25 or so and seeing what it does. Just get the car tuned properly and you'll be good to go.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Having read a lot of threads with many of the MK4 tuners chiming in, it is possible to run 20+ psi on pump gas but to do it you need to pull so much timing that you dont gain power or you even loose power (for "safe" tune, btw i really dont recommend doing this!). It is generally accepted that about 18psi is safe on 93, and as you go up, 104,110, 116 your boost level should be determined by your tune for your car. that is the safest way to do it since as everyone has said there are many many variables and if you just want to know how much boost you can run for your particular car (pushing the limit) just remember that even if everyone says yeah 26psi is fine it may not be fine for your particular set up. Rather then risk engine damage I would error on the side of caution and get it done by someone reputable or someone who really knows what they are doing. Maybe you can talk to larry @ SP during the CHI2k8 meet for some help?