I just hit 30psi today!! on my 60-1

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
so earlier i was having boosting problems where my car wouldnt boost any higher than 16psi even with the MBC all the way up. it didn't hit fuel cut, it just wouldnt boost higher. so someone told me the waste gate flapper was probably opening on its own and needed to be tighter, so i shimmed the waste gate and tried that. i went to drive the car and in 2nd gear i got on it some and it QUICKLY hit 30 pounds of boost and i let off. it scared the crap out of me.. i had never felt it pull so hard it my life. so i guess im trying to figure out if running up to 30 pounds is safe? the wideband read 11.3 and around that. this is on a 60-1 ct, 550s/lex, 3in exhuast, spearco replica and hard pipes. and it didn't hit fuel cut!?!? whats up with that? someone also said i shouldnt boost that much with out higher octane gas, im currently running 93octane. has anyone ever had this happen before?

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
it pulled very hard. i only held it for a like 2 or 3 seconds then let off. how is 30psi not safe? just curious. people run 20-25 all the time

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprafanatic;1104976 said:
it pulled very hard. i only held it for a like 2 or 3 seconds then let off. how is 30psi not safe? just curious. people run 20-25 all the time

On 93 it'll be detonating hard.

You WILL break ring lands if you drive it like this.

It's your car your call.

SideWinderGX;1104978 said:
Your dumb.
I believe you mean "you're dumb" ;)
No matter even if accurate it's not terribly constructive now is it.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
gezz it only happened once and i had no idea it was going to do that guys, calm down. im listening to everything you guys are saying and no im not going to do it agian. so is it only unsafe because its on 93 octane? what if there was 110 race gas in it?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
IJ.;1104985 said:
On 93 it'll be detonating hard.

You WILL break ring lands if you drive it like this.

It's your car your call.

I believe you mean "you're dumb" ;)
No matter even if accurate it's not terribly constructive now is it.

Oh my god, I spelled that wrong. That's ironic...my bad.

Aaaaallll riiighhtt....constructive.

93 octane is only good for around 16 psi anyways. Any more than that, you'll start detonating and very annoying things will happen.

30 psi on a 60-1 CT26 is very bad for the turbo, as its not meant to be pushing that kind of air. Assuming your AF ratios WERE around 11 and a wee bit higher, that is very good for you...but I'm surprised the 550s were able to pump out that much gas for you.

The only way 30 pounds is safe, is if you've built the motor around the purpose of pushing 30 psi. On a stock motor, it puts stress on everything. For reference, some guys are almost pushing 1k HP with 30 psi on certain turbochargers.

Now that you've felt that much power come out of your car, built it correctly so that you can enjoy it without worrying if its bad for your car :) Take your time, and don't leave the MBC open all the way haha.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
SideWinderGX;1104996 said:
93 octane is only good for around 16 psi anyways. Any more than that, you'll start detonating and very annoying things will happen. Fail, you're ignoring a LOT of other equally important factors.

The only way 30 pounds is safe, is if you've built the motor around the purpose of pushing 30 psi. On a stock motor, it puts stress on everything. For reference, some guys are almost pushing 1k HP with 30 psi on certain turbochargers.

ORLY? I see your statement and counter it with this: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72016

followed immediately by this:
IJ said:
Would depend on the tune.

Even idling puts stress on everything, that comment was useless.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i have friends boosting on larger turbos about 22psi on 91 octane... so 93 should easily go above 20psi on a street car. WITH THE RIGHT TUNE!!!!!!

i doubt his wideband reacted fast enough to really tell what the AFR ratio was for that 1 or 2 seconds...

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Quin;1105008 said:
ORLY? I see your statement and counter it with this: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72016

followed immediately by this:

Even idling puts stress on everything, that comment was useless.

Thank you for posting the stock horsepower/torque record on a 7M. I saw that weeks ago, and that in NO WAY pertains to what this guy is going through.

30 psi on record holding 7M: 1000cc injectors. OP? 550cc.

Once again, the modifications to the engine were put on for the sole purpose of making a ton of power with a safe tune. OP's unfortunate event of pushing 30 PSI on an engine/tune/parts that haven't before, and shouldn't yet, experience that kind of power could have broke many things.

In addition, the record 7M was a rebuilt motor with 4k miles on it.

Theres a plethora of differences.

edit: Idling does put stress on everything, yes. Good job contorting my words. You knew exactly what I mean: the higher the power level, the more stress on the engine....whether it has a good tune or not.

Rennat: Good thinking about the AFR, I didn't think about that...I always thought it reacted (almost) instantly though?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
its instant, but lets be honest, its a computer that controls everyting, it not like it changes fuel in .00000001 seconds based on the pressure and everything. lol

i just know from tuning cars on the street... things are not 'instant' as some people seem to think.

and the reason he linked back to the thread is because if you TUNE your car, you could run 20psi + (i personally wouldnt do it though)

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Yeah, it's pretty close to instant, but the computer adding fuel isn't.

A 60-1 doesn't need more than 550s, you wont make enough power to run out of fuel, so it's the same concept. IIRC, he has his SAFC turned up pretty high in the upper RPMs in case something like this randomly happens. Btw, his car has 64,000 miles on it and the single previous owner was an old man (could have been another Ian though :rofl:) so it's not like he did it on a 300,000 mile motor, or did it intentionally.

EDIT: Word ^

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Ahh, the time delay makes perfect sense then.

Good thing he had the SAFC set up so high then, smart move!

If you tune your car, yeah, you can turn up the boost more than you normally could. I was just dishing out info for people on a general level. Point taken :p

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Rennat;1105034 said:
64k on a stock headgasket trying to boost 30psi from a 60-1? i can already see the next thread coming...

Felpro, ARP bolts.

SideWinderGX;1105042 said:
Ahh, the time delay makes perfect sense then.

Good thing he had the SAFC set up so high then, smart move!

If you tune your car, yeah, you can turn up the boost more than you normally could. I was just dishing out info for people on a general level. Point taken :p

Yeah, he's not a complete noob :rofl:. No worries, I just don't like seeing people talk about the 7M like it's junk... I think if I defend it mine might hate me a little less :naughty:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
at least he got the arp 50% right... why not just buy the studs?

i just hope his motor is ok in the coming days... it may not hit instantly, but im sure the motor didnt like it.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Quin;1105049 said:
Felpro, ARP bolts.

Yeah, he's not a complete noob :rofl:. No worries, I just don't like seeing people talk about the 7M like it's junk... I think if I defend it mine might hate me a little less :naughty:

He seems pretty intelligent if he has those mods done to his car, and isn't treating the car like crap haha.

I'm one of the last people to talk about the 7M that way, don't worry ;) I (as you can see from my post count) don't post much on SM, more on SF. Every time someone suggests a 2JZ swap to me, I laugh.

Not that I don't like the 2JZ motors, though.