How do you like your AUTOMATIC supra?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mtx911;1496077 said:
No dont get me wrong dude just saying,, with stick u get the most outa every gear,
auto switches around 5000 6000 at best, stick u get the best and max out every gear,
even if u manually shifted the auto still has lag time switching,, unlike stick
which only depends on how quick the driver is a switching..still come in few seconds
faster than auto... not much but still slightly faster.

of course if your solely relying on boost to get u thru..
then auto is the way, but for small boost and NA its stick.

This is so full of BS it's not even funny. I have a fully built A340E...so does IJ. I have yet to see a manual beat me on the shift, plus I hold boost through the entire power band...you lose boost with a manual every time you press the clutch. It applies to a stock CT26 too...as far as NA, this thread is talking about a turbo car. A high HP car is much more street drivable with an auto...you can put power to the ground without burning up the rear tires. Just about every HP manual I've seen has severe traction problems unless they are using slicks...not good for a street car. If you can't put HP/torque to the ground, what's the point?

MkIIIDK;1496107 said:
I just bought a 90 auto (non turbo). Its a really nice car for the $1800 i paid for it, but that auto has got to go... I prefer stick and my opinion is heavily biased upon that.

And, you are making up crap to support your bias. How about sticking to the facts or STFU.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I still would like to drive a Supra with a good auto in it. The only one I ever got to drive was shagged and let me down, very slow. I know that there is a lot of potential with an auto behind the 7M or 2JZ

MkIIIDK

Nucking Foob
Jan 20, 2010
Lake Zurich, IL
jdub;1496129 said:
And, you are making up crap to support your bias. How about sticking to the facts or STFU.

Show me where there is crap in that post? I fail to see it... I just bought a 1990 supra, i paid $1800 for it, and its a non-turbo. Personally i don't like automatic.

Where is there crap? It was asked, "How do you like your AUTOMATIC supra?" I gave him an answer. Who are you to judge me?

Last edited:

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I've driven a BPU auto turbo Supra, and the power was incredibly super smooth, however I felt completely disconnected from the car, as if I were a passenger..

that being said, as fast as it was, personally all my Supras are 5-speed..

I wouldn't mind an auto Turbo daily driver though...

Last edited:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
MkIIIDK;1496164 said:
Show me where there is crap in that post? I fail to see it... I just bought a 1990 supra, i paid $1800 for it, and its a non-turbo. Personally i don't like automatic.

Where is there crap? you asked, How do you like your AUTOMATIC supra? I gave you an answer.

The crap is in the 1st post, which I pointed out...sorry, but it was posted it and nothing in the following posts addressed it. The 2nd illustrated why and illustrated bias...as I pointed out. You "personally don't like automatics" and pulled a bunch of BS out of your arse in your 1st post to rationalize why...when, in fact, it's because you "personally don't like automatics" is the only real reason. Facts are good...opinions are ok, but need to be backed up or explained. Otherwise the info is garbage.

Enough of this pissing contest...this is not going to turn into another manual vs auto thread. Time for you to be quiet.

MkIIIDK;1496164 said:
Who are you to judge me?

Edit: Nice ninja edit. I'm not judging you, I'm correcting an "opinion" that has no merit and is frankly full of BS. If you hang around here very long and continue to post BS, you better get used to it ;)

You also failed to mention you have a NA...I promise you it's not the A340E's fault you are seeing "lag" in the shifts ;)

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
mtx911;1496077 said:
......with stick u get the most outa every gear,
auto switches around 5000 6000 at best,

I have an auto behind my NA, and it shifts just before my redline (8500).
All you need is electronics, and a good enough engine.
Hell, if the A340E stands up to a turbo 7M, I will never have to worry about it in my NA.......
Not to mention that everytime the guy next to me shifts, I pull him another half a car length :biglaugh:

There is a stickied thread over on supraforums that goes into detail of simple upgrades you can do to make it better (shimming the accumulator springs, etc.)
And like I said, all you need is a SupraStick to make it shift when you want to.
There are high stall converters both new and used around, the later popping up in the 4-sale section or eBay once in a while.
When I had my rev limit bumped up by Kieth Goldin over in Florida, the shift points also went up, which was a nice side effect :naughty:

And a little known fact is that the 7MGE-Auto ECU limits fuel & timing when coming off the line.
There is a delay built in that is dependant on the brake light sign feed into the ECU.
(ECU pin 'STP')
All you have to do to rid the car of this lag, is to cut the signal.
I installed a switch on my dash, so I can turn the signal on or off at will.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
gofastgeorge;1496209 said:
I have an auto behind my NA, and it shifts just before my redline (8500).

wow, you have a b16 in your Supra..?!?:biglaugh:

the thing about this thread is auto owners either love their automatics or they don't..

the ones that do keep it and beef it up, the ones that don't usually swap out, so there's no real reason to look too far into anyone's opinion...

go for what you like..

mtx911

Permanently Banned
Nov 2, 2009
calgary
Not much skill in driving a auto,, handicapped retard cud pull ur supra on the drag..
real skill to drive stick,, auto u jus sit their n mash the gas nothing pro bout that.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mtx911;1496320 said:
Not much skill in driving a auto,, handicapped retard cud pull ur supra on the drag..
real skill to drive stick,, auto u jus sit their n mash the gas nothing pro bout that.

::focl::

mtx911

Permanently Banned
Nov 2, 2009
calgary
sucka dick chikun nigguh jus sayin autos are boring as shit .
only advantage is i cud eat my wendys while driving.. only advantage..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mtx911;1496395 said:

You're looking less smart with each post and this one is bordering on abuse so I suggest you knock it off....

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
I would say your time here at SM just ended saying that to two well respected members not to mention they are both mods. Thanks for playing and cya....

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
mtx911;1496395 said:

You obviously haven't ridden in or raced an auto turbo supra, there is a big difference and the driver of the auto can eat wendy's and still beat you in a race but most of them are smart enough to not have wendy's anywhere near their car.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
mtx911;1496320 said:

Yea, takes a lot of talent to move a lever and push a pedal. If people like you can do it, it's not a diffcult task.

Do yourself a favor and do 5 minuites of research on this subject before posting again. The fastest cars in the world, in any race, are In fact automatic.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
WhtMa71;1495494 said:
You'll burn through 3 clutch sets before you get the cost of the auto rebuild. I'm sure your auto will need a rebuild in that time..

But this is just my opinion.

For anyone that is curious, I spoke with Ty at IPT today on the A340E rebuilds they offer. He told me that my setup (2JZ-GTE, 67mm turbo @17-18psi on a street tune) with agressive street driving and a few weekends at the track mixed in would not come close to stressing their tranny. He said with a good cooler and regular fluid changes that the tranny would last well into the 100k mile range. I am sold. Look for a complete R154 swap coming to the F/S thread in the very near future.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
csnow;1496431 said:
For anyone that is curious, I spoke with Ty at IPT today on the A340E rebuilds they offer. He told me that my setup (2JZ-GTE, 67mm turbo @17-18psi on a street tune) with a few weekends at the track mixed in would not come close to stressing the tranny. He said with a good cooler and regular fluid changes that the tranny would last well into the 100k mile range.

Ran mine for 40,000+ Km's @ 500rwhp with no sign of stress and am that confident I reused the 340 with the 6.0L Chev, I'll go through it and give it a freshen up but I doubt I'll find much wrong in it as it's never cooked up the oil.

I use the Aristo valve body/PCS controller combo and with this you can tune every aspect of the trans operation.

Nice gentle shifts while cruising around town and violent neck snapping shifts under power, I added in some shift cut to reduce power on the 2>3 and 3>4 shifts and will do the same on 1>2 with the Chev so it doesn't tear up the trans/car as even with the 7M it was shifting hard enough to be heard/felt through the dash support as it flexed.:aigo: