How do you like your AUTOMATIC supra?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
IJ.;1496653 said:
Don't know the 340 is the first electronic controlled trans I've used, any other auto car I've had always ran a TH400, dumb but effective at the time.

I assume cars that come with button/paddle shifters don't behave that way.

:biglaugh: @ first comment. I forgot about the new cars with the paddle shifters, those seem to lock in whatever gear you select so i guess they changed the design.

Prolly made every gear engage with a clutchpack or band rather then rely on one way sprags.

I dont like how those trannys shift though, They take too long, and the ignition cut bogs the car into the ground on each shift, Manual OR auto mode. At least the Vettes are this way.

gobutai

Dec 22, 2009
TX
gofastgeorge;1496593 said:
You will need to find a way to dump more heat, as that has always been the downfall of autos & road racing.
And as some people have touched on, down shifting is problematic for that sort of thing.
That is why I am adding the SupraStick, to keep it in the gear I want.
More than once mine has decided to go into a taller gear entering a corner when I let off the throttle, and dropping the engine out of the powerband for a short bit, then downshifting under full throttle, which led to an istant spin :aigo:

This is the main reason I'm looking to swap an r154 - road racing - gear selection is definitely a big thing for this. I had a couple of incidents in a corner, where I was fighting to keep the car together since the auto was in what I perceived the "wrong gear." Then again, the mkiii is a new chassis for me, and I'm still learning how she behaves...

What do you all think then - is it a matter of what type of racing / what you want to achieve with the car then???

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
IJ.;1496596 said:
SS won't help with the downshift issue it's a design flaw with the 340 George.

Ian,
You ruined my day..........
Crap!
Now I will probably not put it in.
I was looking at doing my own circuit that would directly control the solenioids, without using any of the OEM electronics,
Maybe I'll put more thought into that......

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
IJ.;1497007 said:
Bit like shovelling snow with a toothpick though ;)

Haha Figured. Found it hard to believe.

gofastgeorge;1497013 said:
Ian,
You ruined my day..........
Crap!
Now I will probably not put it in.
I was looking at doing my own circuit that would directly control the solenioids, without using any of the OEM electronics,
Maybe I'll put more thought into that......

The ssv4 can be used standalone. It's the only thing hooked up to my transmission. It's about as direct control as you can get.

YouGotSpooled

Aug 3, 2006
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
Well thanks for all the opinions. Im going to drive before I buy and see how I like auto!

hey Reiketsukan, enjoying all the stuff you bought?

And thanks for the amusing bash fest :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
YouGotSpooled;1499985 said:
Well thanks for all the opinions. Im going to drive before I buy and see how I like auto!

Excellent! You never know till you try! Here's hoping that the auto in that car is in as good condition as mine!

YouGotSpooled;1499985 said:
Hey Reiketsukan, enjoying all the stuff you bought?

Well, the clips I bought for my rear interior panel were too short, but no worries! :p The down pipe I bought I actually fixed up and sold to one friend so I could buy a header-wrapped divorced DDP from another. :naughty: And... Didn't I buy my HKS SSQV from you too? If so, it works beautifully and I love it! Did I miss anything? lol

Edit: Do you have anything left that you want to sell?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
IJ.;1496439 said:
Ran mine for 40,000+ Km's @ 500rwhp with no sign of stress and am that confident I reused the 340 with the 6.0L Chev, I'll go through it and give it a freshen up but I doubt I'll find much wrong in it as it's never cooked up the oil.

I use the Aristo valve body/PCS controller combo and with this you can tune every aspect of the trans operation.

Nice gentle shifts while cruising around town and violent neck snapping shifts under power, I added in some shift cut to reduce power on the 2>3 and 3>4 shifts and will do the same on 1>2 with the Chev so it doesn't tear up the trans/car as even with the 7M it was shifting hard enough to be heard/felt through the dash support as it flexed.:aigo:

The shifts you experienced were with an IPT ordered tranny correct? Not just parts you put on yourself? Thanks ahead of time :)

I like my auto so far, have yet to figure out why my boost spikes between shifts (about 3 psi each shift), causes me to hit fuel cut...but other than that it's daily driven, almost 170k miles on the clock and works like a charm!

It started slipping on the 1-2 shift a few months ago but that was because of a leak in the rear housing seal, I was half a quart low for a while. Filled it up, checked the cooler also (no leaks!) hasn't skipped a beat since.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
SideWinderGX;1501292 said:
The shifts you experienced were with an IPT ordered tranny correct? Not just parts you put on yourself? Thanks ahead of time :)

I like my auto so far, have yet to figure out why my boost spikes between shifts (about 3 psi each shift), causes me to hit fuel cut...but other than that it's daily driven, almost 170k miles on the clock and works like a charm!

It started slipping on the 1-2 shift a few months ago but that was because of a leak in the rear housing seal, I was half a quart low for a while. Filled it up, checked the cooler also (no leaks!) hasn't skipped a beat since.

IJ had a tranny built by another shop on his side of the pond.

The boost spike is normal, i have the same effect on my car, its from the increase in load the engine is put under when the shift is made. I used to hit fuel cut because it of also haha.

On my old tranny i would notice a 1-2 slip also when it was low on fluid. I hated that.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
nosechunks;1501295 said:
IJ had a tranny built by another shop on his side of the pond.

The boost spike is normal, i have the same effect on my car, its from the increase in load the engine is put under when the shift is made. I used to hit fuel cut because it of also haha.

On my old tranny i would notice a 1-2 slip also when it was low on fluid. I hated that.

That was my only guess (no boost leaks or EBC problems) but didn't want to believe because I can't fix that :icon_razz Good to know someone can verify though, thank you!

IJ.;1501297 said:
Combination of the MV Auto's shift kitted valve body and the way I had the PCS trans controller adjusted to shift.

Gotcha gotcha, been juggling whether I want 550s or a valve body from IPT this summer so that helps.

...PCS? Clue me in and I'll go search/google/all that good stuff :biglaugh:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I use an Aristo valve body now with the PCS controller, the benefit to doing it this way is no line pressure cable (an issue for me being DBW) and the PCS controls the ACCUMULATOR Solenoid.

One of the mods you do in a 340 is to either shim up the ACCUMULATOR springs or replace them altogether with solid rods to make it shift harder, you end up with firm to hard shifts all the time, in an Aristo valve body they run a solenoid controlled bleed and this is where you adjust shift "feel" making a shift kitted valve body redundant.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Ahh, so the PCS enables you to adjust the solenoid ( so to speak) instead of it being set in stone as the 'regular' valve body mod goes, I see. Makes sense, thank you!

Did you ever use an IPT valve body in the past or just work with the Aristo's? I'll have to call them up and ask what they do to the A340E valve bodies, I hope it's more in depth than just replacing the accumulator springs (for ~$700 I would hope it is).