How do you like your AUTOMATIC supra?

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
The clutch could handle it but that's they're lowest torque rated clutch.. The R154 handling it is a different story though. :biglaugh:

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
I love everything about the auto in my Supra. Ease of consistency at the drag strip, brake boosting off the line, not loosing boost between shifts, and easily flipping off guys who hate on your auto as you pass them!

If I were you, I'd take the car you're looking at for a spin and see if the auto for you. It only took one drive for me to fall in love with mine!

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I liked mine when it was auto, but I now love it that its standard. But my auto was on its way out and my TC was slipping way to much. It felt way under powered as an auto. I'm guessing a perfectly running auto would be nice though.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Although an automatic shifts faster and doesn't make the turbo have to spool between shifts, the manual felt faster when accelerating in each gear(I think that some of that has to do with the greater drivetrain powerloss that the auto has). On the other hand, the manual can get annoying. I've driven both with stock power and I wish I could drive two supras; one with each tranny :biglaugh:

mtx911

Permanently Banned
Nov 2, 2009
calgary
Yeah auto is good pretty fst, but wont ever be faster than stick..
if ur guna drive the car as a daily driver or just around the city do keep it auto
man, stick is best but not thru the city and traffic lights and hills.. gets annoying.

mtx911

Permanently Banned
Nov 2, 2009
calgary
no way in hell a auto will smoke a manual no way in hell dude
sticks always come out first even if its by 2 seconds..
iuno wat u guys drivin but my experience i never beat a stick with my auto turbo
my stick mustang came out slightly faster to.. v6 stock NA

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
mtx911;1496060 said:
no way in hell a auto will smoke a manual no way in hell dude
sticks always come out first even if its by 2 seconds..
iuno wat u guys drivin but my experience i never beat a stick with my auto turbo
my stick mustang came out slightly faster to.. v6 stock NA

Ok, then it's settled guys. According to these latest facts stated above there's no way in hell an auto will smoke a manual... no way in hell guys.
So mtx, would you say an auto trans is a waste of time and money especially if you're thinking about drag racing?

mtx911

Permanently Banned
Nov 2, 2009
calgary
No dont get me wrong dude just saying,, with stick u get the most outa every gear,
auto switches around 5000 6000 at best, stick u get the best and max out every gear,
even if u manually shifted the auto still has lag time switching,, unlike stick
which only depends on how quick the driver is a switching.. still come in few seconds
faster than auto... not much but still slightly faster.

of course if your solely relying on boost to get u thru..
then auto is the way, but for small boost and NA its stick.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mtx911;1496077 said:
No dont get me wrong dude just saying,, with stick u get the most outa every gear,
auto switches around 5000 6000 at best, stick u get the best and max out every gear,
which only depends on how quick the driver is a switching.. still come in few seconds

morbo.jpg

MkIIIDK

Nucking Foob
Jan 20, 2010
Lake Zurich, IL
I just bought a 90 auto (non turbo). Its a really nice car for the $1800 i paid for it, but that auto has got to go... I prefer stick and my opinion is heavily biased upon that.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
mtx911;1496077 said:

I'm sorry man, but your 'butt dyno' is lying to you...

It isn't about what rpm you shift at or the time it takes to shift, it's about loosing a big percentage of your power between shifts due to loosing boost. The reason a manual trans in a turbocharged car feels faster is because you're going from vacuum/low boost to high boost after every shift, making it feel like more acceleration. In reality,you're just repeatedly getting back up to your turbo's max power output instead of just staying there and shifting through your gears as you would in an automatic.

This is why automatic transmissions are faster than manuals. The stock auto MK IV was faster that the stock manual MK IV on the strip and it did this with less psi. If 'more speed with less boost' doesn't convince you, then nothing will.