How do you like your AUTOMATIC supra?

YouGotSpooled

Aug 3, 2006
Saskatoon, Sk. Canada
Hey guys, havent posted in awhile but I am looking to get back into the supra game. I know im addicted cause ive owned 3 already. :naughty:

Anyways, Im looking at buying a local supra that has some mods (550 injectors, intake, exhaust, MHG with ARP's etc) but its an automatic. I know an auto will not lose boost between shifts but how is it for gearing, downshifting etc? Is it as quick or quicker than a 5speed with a good driver?

If Im correct they are 4speed with OD? How much power can the stock auto handle?

Any good/bad about how you feel about the auto is welcome. I might even just do an R154 swap with an aftermarket clutch/flywheel. I enjoy driving stick much more especially in a sports car.

Thanks in advance!

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Love mine, But i have a big stall and a big turbo. Mines also "Built". We'll see how it holds up, plan to put it threw the ringer in the summer. 500+HP and big sticky tires.

Its all personal preference. I like the ratios, overdrive with the converter locked means i can cruise at 80mph at ~2500rpm. 3.73 factory LSD.

The other gears are pretty good for acceleration/passing/racing as well.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I want to see someone shifting faster than the stock auto does.
It isn't as controllable as a manual of course, but cruising and straight-line accelerations , mmm, it can't get better :)

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Is there anyone who rebuilds the stock auto? I would like to ditch the R154 in favor of an auto. I was assuming the only option is the T350. I love that tranny but the overdrive unit for them is almosk 3k alone. That would put me in the ballpark of 5-6k when done with the swap. I would love to find a cheaper alternative that can handle 500-550 rwhp (2JZ)

Last edited:

csnow

Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Thanks jdub. That price is actually not bad. Much cheaper than replacing twin or triple disk clutches in a manual.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
AOD. It's what I'm putting in my car if the A340E can't handle it. They can hold alot of power, still have overdrive, and since they come in mustangs there readily available.

Also taller overdrive would allow for a shorter rear end ratio while retaining the same cruiseability as stock. :)

csnow

Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
nosechunks;1495182 said:
AOD. It's what I'm putting in my car if the A340E can't handle it. They can hold alot of power, still have overdrive, and since they come in mustangs there readily available.

Also taller overdrive would allow for a shorter rear end ratio while retaining the same cruiseability as stock. :)

Does anyone make a 2J adaptor plate for this trans?

supradupra315

Oct 17, 2008
syrcause
i have a auto tranny with around 400hp. my friends give me shit for having an auto tranny but i kinda like it. no power steering and i cant imagine driving a stick with out it! ha...but atleast i know im not the only one..

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
csnow;1495169 said:
Thanks jdub. That price is actually not bad. Much cheaper than replacing twin or triple disk clutches in a manual.

Huh? Trans rebuild by them is $3300. Spec and OS Giken twin discs run about $1700. Of course, your trans might not last that long after that..hah

csnow

Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
WhtMa71;1495365 said:
Huh? Trans rebuild by them is $3300. Spec and OS Giken twin discs run about $1700. Of course, your trans might not last that long after that..hah

Yep......$1700 for a single clutch. How many clutches will you go through in the lifetime of your car with 550 rwhp under "spirited" driving? Total cost of ownership of an auto is much cheaper. Yes, it is more expensive upfront but a properly built auto with proper cooling will last a very long time.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Probably not that many. How many miles a year do you think people drive with 500+ hp? They lowest twin disc is rated at 900 ft/lbs. You will not have 900 ft/lbs at 550whp. If you can drive, the life expectancy should be = or more than that of a single disc clutch.

Costs of replacement discs are about 50% that of the total clutch cost. So 850 each time. You'll burn through 3 clutch sets before you get the cost of the auto rebuild. I'm sure your auto will need a rebuild in that time..

But this is just my opinion.

csnow

Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
WhtMa71;1495494 said:
I'm sure your auto will need a rebuild in that time...

Why would the auto need a rebuild? Run a good cooler and keep the fluids fresh and it shouldnt need a rebuild. I don't know much about the rebuilt Toyota trannies but a TH-350 can take a ton of abuse and last a VERY long time. Granted a TH-350 cant handle 900 ft/lbs but I would have to see a twin disk clutch handle that before I believed it.

Last edited: