Comprehensive Lighting Modification Thread

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Subscribed.

Supradupra.com;1148582 said:
p1171748_1.jpg

Works a treat tho! Picked out the red line with separate LEDs too.

Here is a shott of my ST24 dash using the same sort of thing to pick out needles and red lines.

p1171748_2.jpg

Wow, that is very bright!

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I'm planning on doing that sooner or later, but I had an issue getting a couple needles back on in the proper positions and I still can't get the damned fuel gauge to show right.... urg. So I think I'm going to wait a bit.

Some SMD packages are easier to work with than others. For those of you who aren't experienced with them look at the data sheets and actually read the sizes. 0805's are a killer for the newbie.

A trick to dealing with these little guys if you can etch a PCB but you've only got a soldering iron is to pre-tin the traces (and go a little heavy on the solder). Place the LED on the PCB, hold it down with a fingernail and heat the circuit trace a few millimeters from the LED.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
RazoE;1171818 said:
get the ones with the single LED at the tip and 4 radials at the side...

I bought two of those hoping to brighten my needles until I get around to adding specific LEDs... at least as far as my needles and odometer, those LED bulbs are much dimmer than new incandescent. I used the "WLED-CW5" bulbs.

Also, if you're looking at festoon bulbs the two LED ultra bright unit (3022-CWHP2) is incredibly bright. MUCH brighter then the one with 4 conventional 3mm LEDs in it. I bought two of each for a comparison.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
CRE;1171841 said:
I bought two of those hoping to brighten my needles until I get around to adding specific LEDs... at least as far as my needles and odometer, those LED bulbs are much dimmer than new incandescent. I used the "WLED-CW5" bulbs.

Also, if you're looking at festoon bulbs the two LED ultra bright unit (3022-CWHP2) is incredibly bright. MUCH brighter then the one with 4 conventional 3mm LEDs in it. I bought two of each for a comparison.

Have any pictures? I'm afraid the first "wedge" bulbs may be too dim for me, I'd like to see some of the others.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
WELL ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME!

So I ordered all the lighting fixens yesterday. All the lighting will be installed over thanksgiving week. Then this thread will be fully updated on the first page and hopefully it will be sticky-worthy. :)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Jeff, just bring your ass up here and I'll show you my dash all done out. I can also show you any of the other LED bulbs you want (you should see what I've got that I'm putting in the rear hatch area ;))

John

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Well I have done a lot of work in the last two days.

I changed the climate control and it looks stunning. I little too bright for me at the moment. I'll be trying to dim the CC unit separately tomorrow with some simple resistors/rheostat.

The dash needles are FUBAR'd and the f-ing speedo and tach needles are way too dim. Ugh. More progress tomorrow including a Pulse Width Modulation Dimmer.

Rheostat for CC unit, brighter needles somehow, realign needles, PWM dimmer and I'll have a badass set-up for lighting in the mk3.

Stay tuned for sticky worthy instructions with pics...

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I installed festoon holders for two reasons..
1) I already had the bulbs. ;)
2) you have no control over where the LEDs face with the bayonet type mount. With the festoon you can rotate the bulbs to ensure you're getting the most light out.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
If you want the needles to be red, or a different color, you can get a reverse-glow gauge face cover set from speedhut.com, which covers the existing gauges completely. I got a set of white/blue faces, and then used the brightest/widest angle red LED's in the stock locations to get red needles(I used the same LED's for all, and had to retrofit the bigger LED into the #74 hole to get even needle brightness.

If you want your climate control blue LED's to be sublte, and not too bright or distracting, use the same ones I did: http://www.eled.com/product.asp?catalog_name=leds&product_id=e934mbd

I also had to use dark window tint on top of the red temp digital display module to tone down the brightness to a normal level.
int&

Another cool thing about speedhut.com is they sell a line of quality gauges called "revolution" that are available in exactly the same colors and fonts as your custom gauge face covers! I retrofitted their 30psi boost gauge in the stock location. I love this thing, and it will be ready when I push 25+ psi on my next turbo :) More pics here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60314
Untitled-9.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Last edited:

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
suprarx7nut;1202447 said:
Major updates made to first post. Still much more to come...

Did you ever figure out what, size or part number for the vanity mirror, Dash bottons, and exterior key ring?? In your thread you didn't have these numbers in bold. Those were the ones' you weren't sure of.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I may have missed it some where, I'm trying to find out how to replace the bulb in the exterior key ring, where the write up for that?? There's white rectangle piece on the cylinder but, does it come out that way or does it come out the front?
Let me guess, ..the front.

"Noober"