Comprehensive Lighting Modification Thread

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
I know the shot looks dim, but it was taken during the day, at night it really stands out with the blue. This is the key hole, drivers side on one of my cars. The number for the blue I can't find, but for amber through DIGI-Key it is P619-ND. I do believe CRE is correct on them being 12v LEDS as there is no resistor in the circuit.

Other information, if it hasn't been added yet is the part numbers for the readout on your CC.
These are all from Kingbright.
DA04-11EWA: .4" Dual Red LED Display
DA04-11PBWA/A: .4" Dual Blue LED display
DA04-11YWR: .4" Dual Yellow Display

Brian

Attachments

• DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
For the headlights I would suggest the first upgrade should be the rewire. After that point you can evaluate if the Hella upgrade is even necessary.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Gargoyle;1089289 said:
I know the shot looks dim, but it was taken during the day, at night it really stands out with the blue. This is the key hole, drivers side on one of my cars. The number for the blue I can't find, but for amber through DIGI-Key it is P619-ND. I do believe CRE is correct on them being 12v LEDS as there is no resistor in the circuit.

Other information, if it hasn't been added yet is the part numbers for the readout on your CC.

Brian

Freaking awesome info!!!

Thank you very much. This will be added to the first post when I get a chance to add more.

KeithH: Pricewise, your advice makes sense as well. I will try the rewire first, followed by the hella mod and document the differences seen at each stage.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
No offense but you need to update that first post, I know you may not have had time.

Also, add the D. Sterling headlamp rewire in there, I see it isn't up there.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
The Dude;1084540 said:
Ditto, can anyone confirm whether either the red or amber leds from superbrightleds.com more closely match the prosport "amber" gauges? The gauges themselves look a lot closer to a plain red than an amber color to me.

I have the Superbrightleds.com red's in my cluster, and red/white prosports - its acceptable, but not an exact match. the prosports are more 'amber', however their red intermediate setting is pretty damn close. I'll take pictures tomorrow.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Guyana00;1090806 said:
No offense but you need to update that first post, I know you may not have had time.

Also, add the D. Sterling headlamp rewire in there, I see it isn't up there.

Working ~55 hours a week doesn't leave me with much more than a few minutes here and there.

Trust me, in about a week, when I go back to school, this thread will grow fast. It will be 100% complete very soon.

Daniel Stern Lighting. google the name and you should find his info.

ILikeCarsYesIDo

Permanently Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Hayward, CA
Gargoyle;1089289 said:

Brian

That's really nice. Way brighter than my dim stock green one.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
Sorry for the blurredness, but here's a pic:
DSC_0029.jpg

The prosports are AMBER, not "red". You can tell a difference. However, its so minute that IMO its no real big deal. Prosports have an actual "red" setting that if you can wire it correctly, should match better. And yes I know half the tach is out.

ILikeCarsYesIDo

Permanently Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Hayward, CA
speed;1093183 said:
Sorry for the blurredness, but here's a pic:
DSC_0029.jpg

The prosports are AMBER, not "red". You can tell a difference. However, its so minute that IMO its no real big deal. Prosports have an actual "red" setting that if you can wire it correctly, should match better. And yes I know half the tach is out.

What did you use to light the dash gauges again? LEDs? Those are dim as hell, but then again it may be the lighting or your dimmer?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Hey Sparky, couple suggestions.

Add indicators so people know which side of the LEDs are the anodes.
Perhaps a diagram showing the resistor locations for those who want to dim them down a bit.
And perhaps a tutorial on doing a blue TEMS display.

Oh and if anyone wants to add a dimmer to the upper "selection" LEDs you add it to the green wire coming off the board with the buttons... I'll let you figure out the values, I can recall.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
CRE;1106050 said:
Hey Sparky, couple suggestions.

Add indicators so people know which side of the LEDs are the anodes.
Perhaps a diagram showing the resistor locations for those who want to dim them down a bit.
And perhaps a tutorial on doing a blue TEMS display.

Oh and if anyone wants to add a dimmer to the upper "selection" LEDs you add it to the green wire coming off the board with the buttons... I'll let you figure out the values, I can recall.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I'd love to have the whole dash dim as evenly as possible. Since I'm probably going for white, I'll want to dim the dash a lot for my night highway trips.

I'll try to get this write-up done in the next few weeks, but I have school/moving crap to deal with for a while so everyone has to be patient. :)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Well, the dome lights for at least the pre89 MKIII's are not 3022's. They're a bayonet style bulb (like the rear turn signal bulbs, but much smaller).

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
wow i love this thread, but one question, can you explain how you did the numbers for the climate control? Ive done everything else but stuck when it comes to getting the numbers read in blue.

Thank you

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
What do you mean by getting stuck? I don't recall if the part number is listed in this thread, if not you can find the part number for a compatible numeric display that is blue by searching "kingbright" or "blue display".

If there's something else, please clarify.

Anybody know how I can make the needles white or red?

Hope you don't mind me inputting here, I modded my needles a few years back to change the colour - it's not an easy task by any means and it's kinda fiddly to say the very least!

p1148582_1.jpg

I had to make up some tiny LED lights formed around a fibre washer, I used SMD LED chips - about the size of a pin head! These mounted inside the gauge mechanisms and plastic formers.

p1148582_2.jpg

You need a good eyesight for this :) Thats a pin not a nail!

p1148582_3.jpg

p1148582_4.jpg

Works a treat tho! Picked out the red line with separate LEDs too.

Here is a shott of my ST24 dash using the same sort of thing to pick out needles and red lines.

p1148582_5.jpg