Comprehensive Lighting Modification Thread

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
The drivers window control also uses the 3mm LED. The drivers door key ring is a 5mm rectangular LED. Can't recall the part # but when I get home I think I still have a couple in the bag so I will check for the number then.

Side note....Great write up. Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this.

Brian

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Bulb condoms and colored glass bulbs are also usable for changing lighting setups. I have found red bulb condoms in factory gauges at the pick a parts, but I cant tell you which models use em off the top of my head. Colored glass bulbs and some LED's now as well are available at autozone.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i cant seem to find the led for the climate control on the site.... T1 (3mm)
will this bulb work?

RL3-B2030 Blue 3mm LED
3mm BLUE Super Bright Led
470 nm / 2000 mcd / 30 Degree Viewing Angle

ILikeCarsYesIDo

Permanently Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Hayward, CA
The Dude;1084540 said:
Ditto, can anyone confirm whether either the red or amber leds from superbrightleds.com more closely match the prosport "amber" gauges? The gauges themselves look a lot closer to a plain red than an amber color to me.

Anyone?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The TEMS display uses LED die epoxied to the surface. These can be scraped off with a razor and replaced with 0805 surface mount LEDs.... it's a bitch though.

I can't remember 100%, but I think the driver's door key ring is a 12v LED, can someone verify this?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
CRE;1088508 said:
The TEMS display uses LED die epoxied to the surface. These can be scraped off with a razor and replaced with 0805 surface mount LEDs.... it's a bitch though.

I can't remember 100%, but I think the driver's door key ring is a 12v LED, can someone verify this?

Oh, and I'll be borrowing parts of your posts relating to changing the temp display. Don't worry, I'll make sure it's known you are the author and not myself.

Because that way you get to answer all the questions. :sarcasm:

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
great thread. this is something that i think looks great but im not brave enough to start pulling apart the guage cluster to do. nice writeups!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Gargoyle;1085262 said:
The drivers window control also uses the 3mm LED. The drivers door key ring is a 5mm rectangular LED. Can't recall the part # but when I get home I think I still have a couple in the bag so I will check for the number then.

Side note....Great write up. Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this.

Brian

Does anyone have a picture of this elusive driver's door key ring? I have NEVER seen it!

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Doward;1088824 said:
Does anyone have a picture of this elusive driver's door key ring? I have NEVER seen it!

It's pictured in the lock set rebuild thread... can't remember whose thread it was.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
The exterior key ring light should be on all OEM driver's locks, AFAIK, regardless of year. It seems many have either worn out from a dying LED, bad/old wire, or bad solder joints.

I dont believe my 89 turbo's light turns on so I might have to pull it off and diagnose the problem in this thread. :)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
They're not terribly bright and they're easy as hell to miss as well. It doesn't light up until the handle is pulled, well, then you're in. So unless you know it's there and think to pull the handle to give yourself something to aim for with the key you might never see it.