Another addition to the stable...

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
Actually the preferred rear is the rx7 rear with the lsd and discs. Look it up on 311s. Also look up the altima disc brake conversion for the front... With a vented disc for the front. The datsun rear has been known to hold up good as well but axle and lsd stuff is $$$$$

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
im going with the 300zx front brake conversion. I think they still sell the kits. What does the stock rear hold up to? and how tough is the rx7 conversion?

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
id do the altima brakes... the parts are cheaper and i believe that it is a better conversion as parts will always be available. much easier than the 300zx conversion as it is some simple machining to the rotor, spindle spacer and bolt on calipers. there is a good thread on this on 311s. spriso does the rx7 housings... get ahold of him on that. thats the rout im gonna go with mine. with his modified housing its bolt on... you could mod the housing yourself... but why when its being done by a master.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
the stock rear has been used behind v8 conversions and held up fine. all of the racers still use it as well. the only real reason to swap is the disc brakes and lower parts costs. the lsd units are very hard to come by and average $1200 to $1500 when you do find them used. the axles and bearings run upwards of $300 a side. and brakes are $$$ for it as well.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
as far as performance goes, would you still go with the altima breaks over the 300zx? i have calipers at the shop already so its a start but it depends on which is better.

I think i will attach the drive train to the stock rear for now....until it blows up heh. But in the long run the rx7 will be worth to check out. I will get in contact with spriso in the near future. I'm sure i will have a ton of questions for you man.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
i havent had my car running yet, but the 300zx conversion uses the same size disc as the altima conversion and has a 4 piston caliper. id say that the two conversions are about the same stopping performance but the altima conversion requires less fabrication.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
interesting....alright i'll check em out. Did you do the altima conversion? The stock calipers that are on there are FUBARed and missing pieces lol...so an upgrade needs to be done.

Do you have a link to that write up? I didnt see it in the tech section.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
fixitman04;1895670 said:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13601 altima conversion

http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9547&hilit=spriso+rx7+rear
rx7 rear

my car is in pieces at the moment... but i have the altima rotor kit and plan to do a 200sx rear disc conversion on the stock rear.

the real fun in the altima disc thread starts around page 3... long thread but worth the read

looking at the kits now. do you think this will bring out the wheels further out? that's the last thing i'd need since they stick out about 1" as it sits now. Also I am using volvo 240 calipers correct?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
empera;1895679 said:
looking at the kits now. do you think this will bring out the wheels further out? that's the last thing i'd need since they stick out about 1" as it sits now.
That's what fender flares are for... ;)

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
yea that's what im thinking but the rear's are almost completely flushed....and the front has a decent flare already.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
yes you need the vented disc volvo calipers. the difference in the spacers is about 2 mm, not going to be that much of a difference. the late model cars had more flare...

but hey... wider is better right?

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
lol on this car yea wider is better. I got in contact with Mike....should be ordering a full kit soon.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
how much wider are the late model fenders? Also what are some suspension options, for the front, this thing desperately needs a drop (pretty sure i can fit my fist between the tire and fender heh)

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
there are a couple different fenders. the 69-70 is the widest the 67.5 is the middle ground and the 66 and earlier are the smallest. you will gain about an inch from 67.5 to the later ones. if someone hasnt already changed them in the cars past. the rears changed as well but im not sure on the details there. it is all in the wiki at 311s.

there were a couple different competition springs. all of them lower the front. but ride suffers a lot. the later "mike young" comp springs are supposed to be the best ones and the earlier "bre" or nissan comp springs lower the car more but are overly stiff.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
ok ordered the altima rotor brake kit.....also took the motor out to do some more cutting and welding. I'm going to freshen up the rod bearings and get arp rod bolts to go along with it.

The dash is also apart and will be order some auto meter gauges soon.

Pics will be coming soon.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
heh right now im thinking just a simpler autometer sport comp set up...but who knows...might change my mind in the middle of it all lol