2JZGTE MKIII Swap Info

boostedsupra87

Jul 16, 2009
miami
very good info guys i understand everything but ONE thing and i hope you guys can answer this question for me,when doin the swap why mate the 7m harness to the 2j harness?? if you get the 2j with uncut harness and ecu cant you just take out the 7m ecu and harness and put in the 2j ecu and run the harness through the same place? idk i might sound dumb:3d_frown: but i just dont get it and im goin through with the swap and thats the only thing holding me back, thanks in advance guys:icon_bigg

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
It depends on if the engine is from a LDH or a RHD drive car. The RHD carshave much shorter harnesses since the ECU is behind the glovebox and that is situatiated in the left hand side on RHD cars.

I have a question regarding this plug on the Aristo 2JZGTE harness:

2jzharness5.jpg

The plug with the white thing in it. What is it for?

Hansito

Mar 18, 2010
arlington VA
someone told me i could drop the 2jz non turbo, and i could use the injectors and both manifolds exhaust and intake from my 7mgte i think and that if i cut a piece of my cam shaft connector i could use the wiring harness and ecu from my 7mgte, and is it possible to use my 7mgte trans, i read that i would have to change the bell houseing to the 1jz but not sure if it was for my trans or not, sorry if its a noob question just wanted to know if the info i was getin was to good to be true.

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
Hansito;1599072 said:
someone told me i could drop the 2jz non turbo, and i could use the injectors and both manifolds exhaust and intake from my 7mgte i think and that if i cut a piece of my cam shaft connector i could use the wiring harness and ecu from my 7mgte, and is it possible to use my 7mgte trans, i read that i would have to change the bell houseing to the 1jz but not sure if it was for my trans or not, sorry if its a noob question just wanted to know if the info i was getin was to good to be true.

read here it will tell u everything you need to know http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?63998-2jzge-T-swap-notes-and-pricelists

panda

Aug 29, 2009
NC
i have a question about this swap.....Soo im planing to get a 2jzge and hoping to keep it auto by using my 7mge tranny.....can this be done? if soo what bell housing do i need? and can i be able to use my 7mge drive shaft as well?

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Seems like the best solution is to get the 2jzge autotransmission and swap the rear housing.

For the GTE guys I found this: http://www.supras.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=52

Don't know if it'll work.

I have almost finished my 2JZ-GTE auto swap using the JZA80 automatic transmission and a custom driveshaft. Just have to have a bracket made for the ABS sensor. But if I had seen the above link earlier I might have gone that way.

sammy

Feb 4, 2010
Victoria BC
Super helpful. Ive got a 90 manual supra and my mechanic buddy is helping me put in a 2JZGE auto right hand drive engine. Trying to keep it standard and was wondering if it will work to get a bellhousing and flywheel that will mate the R154 trans with the 2JZGE engine?? Someone suggested a w54 trans but it looks like a lot of work to the driveshaft etc and if I could use my orginal trans wouldnt that be the best option?? I know virtually nothing about cars but love my supra and need help!! Weve had this 2JZGE engine for almost a year and Im sick and tired of looking at my supra sitting in the garage!!! Thanks!
Samantha

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
For you to use the R154 you will need to get a 1jz bell housing and flywheel which are about $750 from Driftmotion.com. I would only use these if you plan to turbo the motor in the future. On the other hand it is easier to get a hold of a W58 bell housing in a junkyard. I would go this route if you plan on not turboing the car because they will handle up to 350 hp and you wont make that on a normal 2jzge. You would then look for a non turbo drive shaft and it should work without modification. It is the R154 that has the more expensive parts because they are designed for the turbo cars to handle more power. The w58 is what you have in the car now so all you would need is a w58 to 2jz bell housing and everything else should work. I attached a link if you want to buy one new. Good luck.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jz2jzw58bellhousing.php

sammy

Feb 4, 2010
Victoria BC
So I shouldve mentioned that my car was a turbo so I have the R154 trans already....
Itll be awesome to have the ability to throw a turbo on it..
Thanks so much

19907mgte

Sep 23, 2010
emporia
i about to buy a 2jzgte complete engine with automatic tranny from supra store i have a 90 supra turbo auto what all do i need to find out from them to see if it will be compatible swap and not need to change out a lot of things on it ? enlighten me please...
thanks

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
You'll need a custom driveshaft and and you need to figure out the ABS if you have ABS (can be done with a bracket and by grafting the pick up wheel to the driveshaft flange). The mkIV also doesn't have speedometer drive so you need either an electronic speedometer or a electronic to mechanic speedo converter like the cable-x.

I've done the swap. PM me if you need more information.

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
I have an Aristo 2jzgte motor installed in my '89 supra turbo and want to keep my 7mgte built a340e automatic transmission and shaftmaster 1 piece aluminum 7m driveshaft. I have everything else needed like: rear sump kit, dual intank fuel pumps, 750cc's, GT-35R, motor mounts, fuel rail & lines, FMIC, Haltech PS2k, IQ3 display already installed. So all we need to do is decide how to make the motor, auto trans and torque converter play nice together and then finish off the FMIC piping.

If you have the same set up in your mk3 what did you do?

I'm thinking I could go with a 1jzgte auto bellhousing which should allow us to keep the 7m a340e tc and the built 7m a340e and shaftmaster DS from the 7m. Is that correct?

OR go with a 3300 stall Titan 2jz TC with the 2jzgte bellhousing but would need to modify the TC somehow or modify something to make the a340e & DS fit since the input shaft's are different between the two transmissions. We tried fitting the 2jz torque converter that came with the Aristo 2jzgte engine set and it will not fit the 7m a340e transmission.

I've read the entire thread and other than Kristian_Wraae's NL link about opening up the 2 trannys and putting them together as one, which has yet to be proven to work, there is no other post regarding this.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
I simply kept the JZA80 transmission. I only needed a custom driveshaft and grafted the ABS trigger wheel from inside the 7M autotrans to the driveshaft flange on the JZA80 autotransmission and made a bracket for the ABS sensor. Then I used the cable-x electric to mechanical speedoconverter to get the stock speedometer working. The bonus is that the ECU will control the transmission so you don't need a dedicated gearbox controller.

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
So you're telling me that I didn't need the Suprastick controller from Latent Solutions since the Haltech will control the transmission?

And my Shaftmaster aluminum 1 pc. 7m drive shaft has to go too?

And the 7m a340e that cost me couple grand to have built which can now hold up to 1,000 hp I should not use and just pick a couple pieces out of it?

Hmmmmm.....let me run this by my buddy whose doing the work for me but I don't like the sounds of it so far...lol

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
I don't think the Haltech will run the transmission. I'm saying that I just used the JZA80 2JZ-GTE together with the JZA80 transmission and had the stock ECU control both. Less hassel that way. It is also a better transmission. Much smoother.

But you could use the AEM JZA80 ECU and control both the engine and the transmission. If you use the JZA80 transmission you can't use the suprastick controller. You'd need something like the PCS transmission controller.

But I think you'll be able to run the stock 7M auto trans together with the 2JZ. You just need the correct combination of flex plate, bell housing and converter. Maybe try to see if the JZA70 auto transmission could donor the flex plate, bell housing and torque converter. There is a thread here somewhere of someone using the JZA70 transmission on the 7MGTE. Maybe it'll be of help.

COOKS87TTOPSUPRA

Dec 15, 2010
VIRGINIA
do you have to do a rear sump conversion if ur doin the swap in a 87 mkiii i just bought my motor today out off a 1993 lexus gs300 n/a im gonna turbo it but i just nbeed to know do i have to do the sump conversion or can i leave it front sump and can i use a auto bellhousing with my w58 trans or do i have to get a 2jz bellhousing and i bought my 2jzgte flywheel from rps off of ebay today i just want to know what all ill need for swap thanks

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
COOKS87TTOPSUPRA;1656311 said:
do you have to do a rear sump conversion if ur doin the swap in a 87 mkiii i just bought my motor today out off a 1993 lexus gs300 n/a im gonna turbo it but i just nbeed to know do i have to do the sump conversion or can i leave it front sump and can i use a auto bellhousing with my w58 trans or do i have to get a 2jz bellhousing and i bought my 2jzgte flywheel from rps off of ebay today i just want to know what all ill need for swap thanks
Yes you need a rear sump conversion if you're dropping it into a Supra because your steering rack/crossmember is in the way of the front sump. You need to get a JZ W58 bellhousing and W58 (non-turbo MKIV supra) flywheel if you want to use your W58 transmission. If the flywheel you bought is off a 2JZ-GTE Supra, then it's worthless unless you buy a getrag v160/161 6-speed transmission (used go for over $3,500.00).