2JZGTE MKIII Swap Info

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
I believe it is a valve to assit power steering while in idle. This is introduced into many toyota vehicles during the early 80's (Toyota pickups, 4runners, camry, ect). This can be totally removed, but there might be certain weird idle changes. This can occur, but not a big problem8

89supraa

Jul 20, 2009
milwaukee
So in the end how much did all of the stuff needed to do the swap cost??I am very interested in doing this swap and want to know how much i need to save up.I also want to keep it twin turbo. And does the mk3 r154 tranny bolt up to it or do i have to get the mk4 r154?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
89supraa;1372086 said:
So in the end how much did all of the stuff needed to do the swap cost??I am very interested in doing this swap and want to know how much i need to save up.I also want to keep it twin turbo. And does the mk3 r154 tranny bolt up to it or do i have to get the mk4 r154?

there is no MKIV r154 just a non turbo w58 and a getrag 6 speed. you use the 1jz r154 bellhousing to mate it to the 2jz. if you want an idea check out my build page, any questions just ask ;)

carmasupra

Jul 24, 2009
Glasgow
wow guys this is an amazing thread here and i defo cant wait to do this now :D altho getting a 2j in glasgow isn't going to be easy lol

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Guys, if I may suggest something to ya....... You should read the stickied "How to ask questions thread....."

And I think also you really should start your own thread for these sorts of questions. They just are not going to work here in the "General"(ish) MKIII 2JZ swap thread because very quickly everyones questions will get lost in the noise of everyone else's questions all within the same thread. If ten people are all asking different questions all in the same thread and some are being addressed it will make it not only a difficult read but also confusing to whom the answers are addressed.

Lastly, you really need to give a little more background on some questions....what you have tried......what has been done to the car..........what has produced any type of result.....basically details.

It's really hard to even know where to begin if just as an example the question is something like "I put a 2j in my car, it doesn't start, how do I fix it" The possibilities for helpful suggestions are just insanely huge with only that to work from.

Again, not slaming anyone, just suggesting how you may get better results to your questions. The people here are truely great, but remember they don't have to do or help you with anything, no-one is paying them to answer anything. So if your question makes it far too much work to find an answer too because you provide little details and background then more than likely your psost will be ignored by the very people you need the help from the most.

Hope this helps you guys get your projects going, you'll find that everyone here for the most part wants to help you out a get another fine supra on the road.

davidgboyle

Aug 10, 2009
Guelph
FamousLad;1373956 said:
I am also doing a 2jz swap in a mk3 88. I got everything in and all, it cranks but wont come on and stay on. What think i should do?

Spark, fuel, air... If the car is a JDM then leave the intake open and there should be no problem with air. Pull a plug and coil pack and see if your getting any spark if not there is an issue with your ignition. Ignition is quite easy the inputs for ignition are the 2 cam position sensors and the 1 crank position sensor if the ecu does not see all 3 inputs there will be an issue with the outputs to each of the 6 ignition coils. Fuel can be a few things: is your fuel pump running and is there fuel in the rail? Even if there is you must check for fuel pressure and ensure that it is within spec.

For the most part it will be something electronic.

AJK

Oct 28, 2007
Calgary
davidgboyle;1385359 said:
Spark, fuel, air... If the car is a JDM then leave the intake open and there should be no problem with air. Pull a plug and coil pack and see if your getting any spark if not there is an issue with your ignition. Ignition is quite easy the inputs for ignition are the 2 cam position sensors and the 1 crank position sensor if the ecu does not see all 3 inputs there will be an issue with the outputs to each of the 6 ignition coils. Fuel can be a few things: is your fuel pump running and is there fuel in the rail? Even if there is you must check for fuel pressure and ensure that it is within spec.

For the most part it will be something electronic.

If all that checks out and still no start, check that timing marks line up. If they do and still no start, run a compression test.

ogre

Car Junkie
Oct 17, 2009
wendell, NC
Please add part numbers to first post if possible

31111-14111 - 1jz/2jz bellhousing also known as clutch housing works with r154
13405-46030 - 1jzgte/2jzgte toyota factory flywheel works with r154
78180-1B090 - 2jzgte supra mk4 accelerator cable

Does anyone have the OEM part numbers for the , or the toyota oem part number for the 8 flywheel to crank bolts , or the toyota oem bellhousing to engine bolts?

Also if you guys want a cheap alternative for getting a rear sump pan , get one off a sc300 or a mkiv supra non-turbo , the oil return will need to be drilled out along with the 2 m8x1.25 bolt holes that need to be tapped but the embossments are already there you just have to cut in the lines...

Last edited:

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The only way you could retian tract control is if you got the traction control CPU as well as the ECU with your motor. Oh wait then you would also have to somehow transfer the independant rear wheel speed sensors and front too, as our cars use a single channel for the rear antilocks that is not compatible with what the 2j signalling.

LOL, ok, so not really no, it would be a massive hassle anyways.

But I for one would be impressed all to hell and back if you do pull it off. I say go for it and do a real nice write-up for the rest of us to be forever grateful for if you are in fact successful.

AJK

Oct 28, 2007
Calgary
Where do I run the vacuum lines from the charcoal canister to the motor if I were to keep the charcoal canister? It should be kept to avoid fuel pump cavitation, correct? This is all for a 1988 Canadian spec mk3 with a 1992 Aristo 2JZGTE

Thanks for any help!